FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How many US states have you visited?

crdowner
I saw a post asking how many countries people have lived in or visited so I thought I would add one for US states. Many states in the US are as big or bigger than countries. Most Americans, including me, have never visited all 50 states.

Lived in:
Mississippi & Tennessee

Visited on vacation, etc.:
Alabama
Georgia
North Carolina
South Carolina
Florida
Texas
California
Nevada
Missouri
Kansas
Pennsylvania
Arkansas
Louisiana
Arizona
Virginia

Will be adding New Jersey and possibly Illinois to my list of visited states later this year.
bonestorm74
I haven't been to any yet but I hope to make it over there some day. Wink
Magicman
I've been to nine that I can think of off hand:
New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maryland, Vermont, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Florida and Pennsylvania.
tijn01
Not many: Texas and California....
Handyman
I have been to a few.

Ohio
Indiana
Illinois
Michigan
Wisconsin
Minnesota
West Virgina
Virginia
North Carolina
South Carolina
Georgia
Florida
Alabama
Tennessee
Kentucky
New York
Pennsylvania
New Hampshire
Vermont
Delaware
Nevada
New Jersey
Mississippi
Marzh
Yeah thats a few, well I've only been to a few and they are:
North Carolina
South Carolina
Virgina
Tennessee
Ohio

Wish I could travel more.
dirkvb
I'm from belguim, for me a trip to America is to expensive I'd rather like to have soaring lessons. Lif eis so expensive you know.
Peterssidan
I have been in non of them. too far away for me :p
ocalhoun
I've done my share of state-side traveling, mainly because of the opposite reason so many other people here have for not doing so: it is less expensive for me!
States I've been to: (Recommended ones marked with a *)
Florida
Georgia
Louisiana
Mississippi
Kentucky
Tennessee
Virginia
West Virginia
South Carolina
North Carolina*
Alabama
Washington
Oregon*
I suppose I'm relatively well-traveled within the US, though the list of states there reads almost like a tour of the Confederacy...
Blnd4lyfe
Well I'm only 16 and am proud to say I've been to over 10 states and been in each for over a week

Washington
Oregon
Georgia
Virginia
Washington,D.C
Florida
Idaho
Kansas
Wyoming
Kentucky
Tennessee
Iowa
Illinois
Montana
Colorado And.......
South Carolina
North Carolina.

Around 13 my mother and I took a drive from Tacoma,Washington over to Washington,D.C then down to Georgia then back to Tacoma. We stayed in hotels/motels in each state for about a week then moved on to the next state. All the extra states are places we've decided to visit while in a state nearby over the past few years and places we drove through but decided to not stay in due to weather or other reasons.Took to long for a kid my age but I had fun.
georgekalathil
fortunately, i havent visited any..........
ocalhoun
georgekalathil wrote:

Oh, they're not that bad, and you can conveniently travel between them with no border checks.
HDirtwater
Quote:

Not sure exactly what that (spam) post means....but

It's probably easier to list the states I have NOT been to:

Nebraska
North and South Dakota
Washington
Oregon
Montana
Idaho
Wyoming
Utah
New Mexico
Alaska

That's about it. I haven't necessarily stayed in every state for a length of time, but I've been most everywhere.
kosecc
I visited New York. Then again, most people do Sad.
odinstag
Nebraska
Iowa
Ohio
Kansas
Missouri
Mississippi
Louisiana
Indiana
Illinois
Florida
Georgia
South Dakota
Tennesse
Kentuky(sp?)
LimpFish
I lived in Hawaii for 6 months, and spent one month in Washington, and then I've been to LAX three times, so California too, then.
j14fusion14
Ummm I have only been to like 4 different states -

- new york

- pennslaynia

- maryland

- delaware
Drawingguy
We've driven down the eastern coast a couple of times, so if that counts, then I've been in

New York
New Jersey
Pennsylvania
Delaware
Maryland
Virginia
North Carolina
South Carolina
Georgia
Florida

Other times, we've been to massachusetts and rhode island, to see the sights...you know.
Blaster
Drawingguy wrote:

New York
New Jersey
Pennsylvania
Delaware
Maryland
Virginia
North Carolina
South Carolina
Georgia
Florida

Haha same with me. I've been in every state there. Are you from New York?
Drawingguy
Yeah- on Long Island, to be nitpicky. I should always appreciate the city more, and visit manhattan, but I don't...
Vladalf
Its very far from Europe. I would visit the hawaii state tough. Laughing
Jinx
It would be easier for me to list the states I HAVEN'T been to. The only two states I've never visited are Maine and Alaska.

But then, I was a long haul truck driver, so it wasn't exactly leisure travel. Except for the vacation to Hawaii.

As a military brat, I've lived in Alabama, Florida, Tennessee, Mississippi, Illinois, Virginia, and Maryland.

The most beautiful states that I visited were Hawaii, and Oregon.
J-Evil
I live in Michigan.

States I've been to:
Ohio (4x)
Indiana (2x)
Illinois (1x)
Iowa (1x)
Nebraska (1x)
Oklahoma (1x)
Arkansas (1x)
Kentucky (1x)
Tennessee (2x)
Georgia (1x)
Florida (4x)
Colorado (1x)
ocalhoun
Vladalf wrote:

???
Hawaii is even further from Europe than the rest of the states...
Have you considered the Caribbean?
Dean_The_Great
Not sure, but I've gone down and up the eastern side taking a different route each time to hit a bunch of different states... It was long ago though, and many of the states were seen through the car window.
LimpFish
I guess he is not thinkin about hawaii to visit because it's nearer, but because its the only state with perfect weather conditions Smile
xbcd
i have only lived in one state. That state is GA
hangfromthefloor
I have been to: Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland (live), [Washington, DC], West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, Minnesota, North Dakota, California, Nevada, Colorado, and Texas

Most of the states that I've been to are on the East Coast, since I live in Maryland.
tahoestyle
U.S West Coast all my life -

California - up and down
Washington
Arizona
Nevada
Sharpe
None, I never left Europe. Although I hope to be in either Ohio or Alabama within 3years. 8)
ocalhoun
Sharpe wrote:
None, I never left Europe. Although I hope to be in either Ohio or Alabama within 3years. Cool

Just curious, why Ohio or Alabama in particular?
carlospro7
florida, south carolina, virginia, illinois, pennsylvania, michigan, tennessee, new jersey, new york, ohio
rheanna
Air Force brat so been around. Have to say about 10 states in the US
silverGFX
California
Nevada
Arizona
Utah
New Mexico
Texas (I live here)
Arkansas
Louissiana
Oklahoma
Mississippi
Tennesse
Kentucky
Florida
South Carolina
North Carolina
West Virginia
Virginia
Michigan

Total : 18 Wink

All those places I have spent at LEAST 1 week at each. Most of them were just for fun but a few were buissness trips... I hate them...
Sharpe
ocalhoun wrote:
Sharpe wrote:
None, I never left Europe. Although I hope to be in either Ohio or Alabama within 3years. 8)

Because IF I make it through the selection I'll be an Fighterpilot/Helicopterpilot in training for the Dutch Airforce. The basic training is done in Ohio (F-16) or Alabama (Helicopters). 8)
bangala
I have never been to the United States but I would love to travel to Florida to visit a friend. I might visit soon Las Vegas but I am wondering how far it is from Florida!
Tim Graham
None. I wouldn't mind visiting some time though.

I do, however, live in what many called the 51st state - Australia. Confused
jwellsy
This is going to make me think.

Hawaii
Washington
Oregon
California
Arizona
New Mexico
Texas
Utah
Colorado
Missouri
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Iowa
Michigan
Illinois
Indiana
Ohio
Kentucky
Tennessee
Georgia
Louisiana
Arkansas
Alabama
Florida
New York
Pennsylvania
Vermont
Washington DC
New Jersey
Maryland
Virginia
Delaware

And I plan on adding Alaska to that list next year.

In Canada I've been to:
Quebec
Ontario
Manitoba
British Columbia

I've also been to:
Mexico
Korea
Thailand
Hong Kong
Singapore
Philippines
Ceylon/Sri Lanka
Australia
New Zealand
Bali
Diego Garcia
Kenya
Iran
France
Switzerland
Ireland
Guam

So that would total 32 states and 19 countries.
ocalhoun
Sharpe wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
Sharpe wrote:
None, I never left Europe. Although I hope to be in either Ohio or Alabama within 3years. Cool

Because IF I make it through the selection I'll be an Fighterpilot/Helicopterpilot in training for the Dutch Airforce. The basic training is done in Ohio (F-16) or Alabama (Helicopters). Cool

Thats an interesting tidbit of information... I didn't know that any other country did military training in the US.
Perhaps I'll see you there, as I'm joining the US air force.
bangala wrote:
I have never been to the United States but I would love to travel to Florida to visit a friend. I might visit soon Las Vegas but I am wondering how far it is from Florida!

Quite far, about as far as Africa is from Finland.
TurtleShell
Hmm...

Lived in:
Illinois
Iowa
Massachusetts
New York.

Visited (or at least driven through--does that count?):
Wisconsin
Indiana
Kentucky
Ohio
Vermont
Pennsylvania
New Hampshire
Maine
Rhode Island
New Jersey
Connecticut
Missouri
Minnisota
Colorado
Wyoming
Kansas
and Puerto Rico, which isn't a state but close:)
The World is Yours
I've lived in:

Virginia
North Carolina
Arizona
Colorado
Oregon
Washington
Missouri

And visited:
Florida
California
New York
New Jersey
Nevada
New Mexico
Utah
Idaho
Wyoming
Wisconsin
Minnesota
North Dakota
Sharpe
ocalhoun wrote:
Sharpe wrote:
Because IF I make it through the selection I'll be an Fighterpilot/Helicopterpilot in training for the Dutch Airforce. The basic training is done in Ohio (F-16) or Alabama (Helicopters). 8)

Thats an interesting tidbit of information... I didn't know that any other country did military training in the US.
Perhaps I'll see you there, as I'm joining the US air force.

We were based at Sheppard in Texas, US base used by NATO. But one/two years back we switched to Ohio, cause it fits more with the European climate.

Netherlands is a small and densely populated country, USA has lots of open land where we can practise without bothering other people with our jets. So that's why we are trained there, although we do a one year course here in flying(Pilatus PC-7) before we move to the USA.
darvit
ocalhoun wrote:

States I've been to: (Recommended ones marked with a *)
North Carolina*

Yeah, it sure is lovely down here in North Carolina. Smile

I haven't visited much in the 21 months I've lived here in the US [as of this moment].

So far, I've lived in North Carolina and have lived in Illinois for a couple of weeks.
I've visited:

• South Carolina
  • New York
  • New Jersey
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Virginia
  • West Virginia
  • Ohio
  • Kentucky
  • Georgia

I think that's all for now. I want to see more of the US. This country is just HUGE; there's still so much to see and explore! Razz
agustin
I visted Florida And Cali. Florida is so beautifull, San Francisco Also.
tennispro9911
I Live in New York
I've visited:
California (beautiful)
Wyoming,
Washington,
Pennsylvania,
Michigan,
Ohio,
Maryland,
Virginia,
North Carolina,
South Carolina,
Georgia,
Florida,
Delaware,
New Jersey,
Rhode Island,
Massachusetts,
Vermont

17 States in total.
Afaceinthematrix
The US Sates I've been to are:

California
Nevada
Arizona
Oklahoma
Louisiana
Minnesota
New Mexico
Oregon
Washington
Montana
Wyoming
ganesh
I moved over to the US for grad school in August 04, and since then I have been to the following states:

(1) Iowa (Lived for 15 months)
(2) Nevada
(3) California (Been living in the San Francisco Bay Area for the last 2 years)
(4) New York
(5) New Jersey
(6) Virginia
(7) Maryland
(Cool Pennsylvania
(9) Washington DC
(10) Washington
(11) Arizona

Quite a lot of states left to cover, I guess Smile
Melacos
Not sure, but a Nissan Altima took a friend and me from Virginia to California in about 2 months. As you might have guessed, it wasn't in a straight line, and we came across states such as Louisiana and Montana as some of the extremes. Lovely trip, and definitely recommendable for everyone with a drivers license and a lust to experience what the US is really all about (besides what you see in the tv etc..)
tingkagol
None.

But I plan to. Any suggestions for the 1st state I should visit?
Afaceinthematrix
tingkagol wrote:
None.

The United States is extremely large, so it offers a lot. I've traveled some parts extensively (I've traveled in more states since my original post where I listed 9 states) and some people I know (like my dad) have traveled all 50 states... So I'd be a good person to give advice as to where you should go to first, but I need to know what you like and what you want to see because you go to different parts of the U.S. for different things...
tingkagol
I guess I want a laid-back atmosphere, not rural but not too crowded either. Good food is always a plus too.

Friends who've gone to the US have been yammering about California & New York and I'm not really sure about those two. And for the record, what's New Jersey like?
Afaceinthematrix
tingkagol wrote:
I guess I want a laid-back atmosphere, not rural but not too crowded either. Good food is always a plus too.

Friends who've gone to the US have been yammering about California & New York and I'm not really sure about those two. And for the record, what's New Jersey like?

Well... I wouldn't really suggest New Jersey (unless you really enjoy U.S. history - then you'd be able to enjoy the monuments). I know that you aren't too sure about California and New York, but let me tell you a little about them so that you can re-evaluate your decision.

New York is NOT just New York City. California is NOT just L.A. Those are two common misconceptions. Both states are HUGE (California is 423,970 km² - if it was it's own country, it would be 59th in size). This means that they are large enough to have something for everyone. You want something that's not too crowded... well, stay away from Southern California (it's crowded - I would know; I have lived in Southern California for 19 years). However, Northern California may be for you... Northern California has San Francisco. It's also beautiful up there... You can visit the Sierra Nevada mountain range (which includes Yosemite, King's Canyon, Sequoia, etc.)... California also has beaches... So I would think about California as a first destination because it does have something for everyone... It's not too crowded everywhere.

However, I would probably suggest Florida (southern Florida). It's really laid back, and it has enough to keep you occupied for a while. The everglades are definitely worth a visit (they're beautiful), the beaches are worth a visit, they have good fishing (if you're in to that). Florida would not be my first choice for a vacation destination, but it seems right for you.
tingkagol
Quote:
New York is NOT just New York City. California is NOT just L.A.

Yeah, I've always imagined New York to be like that for quite some time, until a friend of mine decided to go to Rochester University to study printing. He says it's the loneliest place he's ever been to yet. Or maybe that comes with being a foreigner?

I also have a couple of friends/relatives scattered all throughout - New Jersey, San Francisco, LA... they always say it gets a bit too lonely out there. But yea, since you mentioned San Francisco, I'll definitely take your word for it when the relatives invite me again in the future.

But I have to say Florida sounds awesome. I think its fits me well since I'm sort of a beach bum.
bigt
crdowner wrote:
I saw a post asking how many countries people have lived in or visited so I thought I would add one for US states. Many states in the US are as big or bigger than countries. Most Americans, including me, have never visited all 50 states.

Lived in:
Mississippi & Tennessee

Visited on vacation, etc.:
Alabama
Georgia
North Carolina
South Carolina
Florida
Texas
California
Nevada
Missouri
Kansas
Pennsylvania
Arkansas
Louisiana
Arizona
Virginia

Will be adding New Jersey and possibly Illinois to my list of visited states later this year.

I have been to all of those states and a few more, minus California and the others were mostly in the New England area.
deanhills
Georgia, Arizona, California, Washington, Washington DC, Louisiana, Nevada, Utah, Florida, Texas, New York, Virginia, New Jersey, New Mexico, Hawaii, Oregon, Colorado
Vrythramax
This topic had a long rest period Smile

Here's where I have been:

• Massachusetts (live there now)
  • Georgia
  • Rhode Island
  • Virginia
  • Alabama
  • Arizona
  • California
  • New Hampshire
  • Vermont
  • Maine
  • New York
  • Ohio

I know there are others, but this is what I could think of quickly.
Triple_7
17 states total that I have actually stayed at least one night in...Including my home state of Indiana.

Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
Colorado
Florida
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Michigan
Missouri
New Mexico
North Caralina
Ohio
Oklahoma
Tennessee
Texas

Most of the southwest was covered on a 2 week trip back in Junior high school some 9 years ago. Been in Missouri 3 times, Oklahoma twice, and Ohio more times then I can count. Rolling Eyes Other then that my only travels have been to Canada and Taiwan...Actually been in California twice but don't really count it since I didn't stay a full night a was just at the Los Angeles airport connecting to and from Taiwan. Confused

Quote:
None.

Depends on what you want out of the trip really, Southern Indiana can be pretty nice if you go to Brown County. I loved Anchorage, Alaska...beautiful Cool Arizona is always nice, go the Grand Canyon, visit Flagstaff. New Mexico has a few nice little historic towns that I found interesting. Tennessee and Kentucky are both a nice trip. Ohio as well as Indiana have great Amish country if your into that kind of stuff, nice and relaxing Cool I plan to eventually visit all 50 states but that's the places I liked best out of the few I've stayed in. Wink Florida was just way to hot and humid, as well as overcrowded...so unless that's your idea of fun then avoid it Rolling Eyes
Afaceinthematrix
Triple_7 wrote:
Actually been in California twice but don't really count it since I didn't stay a full night a was just at the Los Angeles airport connecting to and from Taiwan.

I never count airports for states or countries. So I wouldn't really count that either if all you did was go to LAX. However, if I have a long wait between flights I might just leave airport property for a couple of hours and then it's fair game to check that state/country off my list lol! My dad once had a 6 hour wait at an airport in Guatemala on his way to Costa Rica so he got a cab, went down into a city, ate dinner, went back to the airport, caught his flight, and checked Guatemala off his list of countries he's been to.
slashnburn99
New York and California
gandalfthegrey
All the North-east states, Maryland, DC, Florida (who hasnt?), Washington, Montana, Idaho, Minnesota, Arizona, California, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana
LimpFish
In order of time spent in them:

Hawai'i
Washington
British Columbia (Canada, I know, but still Smile
California (Only airport)
New York (Only airport)
Illinois (Only airport)
Flakky
I haven't visited any of the states. I want to go to America but I won't be looking for the state but pick a city.
macky
wow... that's great... hoping someday i can go there too... Very Happy
PGe-tips
As I'm from Europe not very frequently ... nevertheless

Utah
New Mexico
Arizona
Colorado
Kansas
New York
Pennsylvania
new Jersey
Delaware
Illinois
Michigan
Florida
Maryland

Most of them just passing by for business
mikeperhem1
The no of states visited in us are:
Alabama
Georgia
North Carolina
South Carolina
Florida
Texas
California
Nevada
Missouri
Kansas
Pennsylvania
Arkansas
pravojednostavno
I have been only to California.
jajarvin
New York and Pennsylvania.
CreativeVeganCooking
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Illinois
Indiana
Maryland
Michigan
New York
North Carolina
Ohio
South Carolina
Pennsylvania
Tennessee
Virginia
West Virginia

Yep, that's sixteen, but they are all on the East coast.
kaysch
crdowner wrote:
I saw a post asking how many countries people have lived in or visited so I thought I would add one for US states.

Not so many as I am from Europe:
Texas,
New York
supowski
Not US citizen, but I've visited:
- Colorado
- Utah
- Nevada
- California
- Arizona
- New Yersey
- New York
- Pennsylvania

Btw, your note about most of US citizen haven't visited all the US states. I believe it's quite similar to Europe. Most of the Europeans haven't visited all Europe countries, me neither.
larrycliffordkirk
1961 born in KS
1965 moved to MO
1972 took Amtrak from Missouri to California
1973 flew in Plane from Missouri to California
1974 rode in Van from Missouri to California
1974 took Greyhound for move from Missouri to California
1982 Air Force Basic Training in TX
1982 Air Force school in IL
1982 Air Force assignment in ME
1985 - 1989 Lived in Panama
2002 - 2010 disc golfed on 20 road trips in all 50 states
2012 disc golfed in all 50 states
2013 disc golfed in all 50 states
Blaster
First I'm interested at why so many people visited PA (for you not from here Pennsylvania)

Lets see I've been to the following

Pennsylvania (Lived here my whole life)*
Delaware (live 10 minutes away so I'm there all the time)**
New Jersey (Again live 10 minutes away and vacation there)*
Maryland (30 minutes away)**
New York**
Virgina**
North Carolina **
South Carolina**
Georgia**
Florida*
West Virgina**
Ohio**
Indiana*

And Washington DC

* indicates state spent more than a week in
** indicates state traveled through.

I live just south of Philly. So I went to the liberty bell in Elementary school and that was the last time I was there. I've ridden the duck boats and didn't crash into a barge. Pats and Genos are tourist traps (genos is a good drunk choice though) Yes we booed Santa. If you're ever in the city pm me I'll tell you where to go to get good food. And it most defiantly is WOODER!!!
mshafiq
i visited almost 5 states.
New jersey,
New york
Massachusetts
Pennsylvania
Ohio
johans
none so far but hopefully i can have one at New York! hehehe

I think its hard to get visa in United States. Takes time to process the visa.
fuzzkaizer
ocalhoun wrote:
Vladalf wrote:

???
Hawaii is even further from Europe than the rest of the states...
Have you considered the Caribbean?

Allready asked myself, while reading the thread, if the caribbean islands (exept Cuba, of course) count as inofficial states of the USA. And the same for Mexico and maybe even some others more...
kevinwade01
I had visited many states in the USA but the Montgomery city in Alabama state has been one of my best trip ever and offers many Alabama attractions. Not only the city made my trip memorable, but the Montgomery resort is perfect for tourists as it offers luxurious living and activities at affordable prices.
BigGeek
This reminds me of the old Johnny Cash song - I've been everywhere:

I've been everywhere, man
I've been everywhere, man
Crossed the deserts bare, man
I've breatherd the mountain air, man
Travel, I've had my share, man
I've been everywhere

I've been to:

Washington, Oregon, California, Arizona, Nevada, Utah, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado (live there), New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Missouri, Illinois, Michigan, Georgia, Alabama Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, Vermont, Massachusetts.

Also been to Mexico City, Monterrey, MX, Puerto Vallarta< MX, Costa Rica. Been to Toronto Canada, Vancouver Canada, Vernon Canada, Kam Loops Canada.

Although I have never been to Europe, Asia, Africa, or the Middle East.

Almost all of it has been on business travel so unfortunately I have never been able to do any sight seeing while I was there!

All work and no play!!
aguilalv
I have visited not so many US states, but I have a fairly decent list being from Europe ...

I have been to:
- New York
- Massachusets
- California
- Wasinghton
- Virginia
- Florida
- New hampshire
- Washington DC (This is not a state, is it?)

I hope this list will keep growing in the future. One day I would love to do a road trip across the US and that should make my list grow and grow. But it is quality that counts and not quantity though, so the best thing of that experience will be having the time to really explore and get to know the different states, people there and to expand horizons. That is the wonder of travelling, isn't it?

Smile
kevinwade01
I had visited many states in USA but Montgomery is my favorite as it is perfect for vacations and ideal for spending quality time with family because there are ample of activities,events for family. Moreover,the place has great collection of resorts which provide amazing stay and great amenities at affordable costs.
caldwell90glenn
Every state in the USA has Its own specialty and places to visit. I had explored many places in USA but Panama Beach City in Florida State is my favorite destination as you can experience the gulf of Mexico. Along with this the state has amazing resorts like Panama City Beach Condo. The resort not only provides ample of amenities but luxury stay and sumptuous cuisine.