FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Can I write a script for the following application?





giovle
Hi,

I'm currently designing a webpage for one of my music bands and have a question for more experienced programmers. The idea is a page where all the events (gigs in the past and future gigs).
Since I would prefer not to change the page whenever there is a new event to add, I'm looking for a script that would handle everything for me.

I'm looking for the following features:
- I should be able to append new events (name and date) and some information about it
- The eventpage on my website should be able to acces the database-file and print out (through some sort of iteration I suppose) all the events sorted by date
- I also want to be able to search the database for the first upcoming event ... if such a thing is possible that is

Can someone tell me what scripting language I should use (CGI?), if you maybe know of an existing script that meets this requirements (or can be modified), how I should start if I need to start from scratch ... (maybe a good tutorial? Smile )

I'm sorry if all this questions seem chaotic, I tried to keep it somewhat structured.[/list]
virre
giovle wrote:
Hi,

I'm currently designing a webpage for one of my music bands and have a question for more experienced programmers. The idea is a page where all the events (gigs in the past and future gigs).
Since I would prefer not to change the page whenever there is a new event to add, I'm looking for a script that would handle everything for me.


This shouldn't be a problem.

giovle wrote:

I'm looking for the following features:
- I should be able to append new events (name and date) and some information about it
- The eventpage on my website should be able to acces the database-file and print out (through some sort of iteration I suppose) all the events sorted by date
- I also want to be able to search the database for the first upcoming event ... if such a thing is possible that is


That depend on how your database is build, but if you have that in mind from the start. No problem.

giovle wrote:

Can someone tell me what scripting language I should use (CGI?)


As I said most languages that can connect with and database can handle this. But then it depends on your hosting. If it's here, well Python is my recomendation for starting out (if it works here or wherever your page is hosted), although php is much more in use.

giovle wrote:

if you maybe know of an existing script that meets this requirements (or can be modified), how I should start if I need to start from scratch ... (maybe a good tutorial? Smile )


There really is a hell load of diffrent CMS versions on the net and one of them might be open source and keep with your demands. Google for it, thats the best advice I can give.
[/quote]
Related topics
SQL Basics
How to create a dynamic PHP website.
How to make a symlink
Top Ten in PHP
Hotmail and Outlook
Download directly to the server
Random picture in Flash..
Does anyone know the Linksys Passphrase to WEP Key Algorithm
Give the text on your website a shadow with minimum hassle!
I forgot how to take out this boxes
Auto Run
Help a Newbie!
RANK SHOP 3 frih$ per rank
php script to set up ftp users on linux
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Scripting -> Others

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.