FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Flash N00b

coreymanshack
Hi, I'm new to flash, well i wouldn't exactly say I'm new to it... I haven't started learning it yet. I would like to though, but I don't know where to get started.

Can I create actionscript from any ole' text editor? Or do I need things like adobe flash cs3?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
m-productions
you can do AS with a text editor, save it as .AS or as2 or w/e .as3 but you still have to include it when you compile your flash.

But why would you do this.... you should be doing it in flash, so that you get all the help you can get. Also... if its your first time learning.. make sure you use ActionScript 2.0 and not 3.0 as it will be harder for you to learn.
coreymanshack
what do you mean i should be doing it in flash? the language is flash? what? i didnt understand that part, anyway where do i get the thing to compile the flash files?
m-productions
do you even have flash? you cant just "compile the code." you have to do it in flash. You need the program, Flash 8 or Flash cs3. You then can write you AS in that, then your create your .swf file, thats the only way.

and the language is not flash, the language is ActionScript, flash uses ActionSctipt.
coreymanshack
I think I asked at the very beggining if I needed a program.

Quote:
Can I create actionscript from any ole' text editor? Or do I need things like adobe flash cs3?

Thanks for clearing up about the flash actionscript business....

You seem to think I don't know jack about anything. I asked what do I need to compile the code.
Quote:
anyway where do i get the thing to compile the flash files?

I did not know that the program was flash and the language was actionscript , sorry, as I stated I'm a n00b and i've never done this.

Thanks for your help even though it took me a while to get everything I needed to know out of you.
m-productions
in your first post, you didnt ask about compliling your sctipt. you asked if you could

Quote:

and the fact is, yes you can, in fact I do it all the time when im not around my comp, and on another comp... you just save it as a .as .as2...ect, and you just included it.

sorry for the misunderstanding.