FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

PSU dedicated to GPU?

Zombie
Hi,
I'm running a power hungry PSU along with 4 optical drives, 2 HDDs, and about 5 large fans. My GPU is suffering in performance due to the low wattage of my PSU. I am wondering if it is safe to bring a secon PSU onto the scene. This PSU would ONLY be hooked up to the GPU and nothing else, while the rest of the computer is powered by the main PSU. Is this safe? Let me know of your thoughts on the idea.
Thanks

UPDATE: i found a article on how to make a adapter using a atx extension cable, im going to try that
PseudoKnight
Yes, it is safe. There are cases that even support multiple graphics cards.

I wonder, though, what is your system specs?
(and why the heck do you have four optical drives... even though they don't suck much juice at all when they're not running)
kizarop
yeah, please post your pc specs
djclue917
Zombie wrote:
Hi,
I'm running a power hungry PSU along with 4 optical drives, 2 HDDs, and about 5 large fans. My GPU is suffering in performance due to the low wattage of my PSU. I am wondering if it is safe to bring a secon PSU onto the scene. This PSU would ONLY be hooked up to the GPU and nothing else, while the rest of the computer is powered by the main PSU. Is this safe? Let me know of your thoughts on the idea.
Thanks

UPDATE: i found a article on how to make a adapter using a atx extension cable, im going to try that

How about buying a reliable PSU that can supply at least 500 Watts? Actually, the GPU is one of the most power-hungry components in a PC especially newer ones. As far as I can remember, PCIe 2 cards require at least 175 W to be able to function properly.

The four optical drives wouldn't really require _that_ much power, well as compared to the GPU. Also, I doubt that you are using all four of them simultaneously and continuously (as long as your PC is on). The same goes for the two HDDs.

About the fans... They don't really require _that_ much power. I mean my 80mm fans doesn't even eat up 1 Watt of power. I'm sure that yours are like that too no matter how big they are (well, as long as they are chassis fans for PCs. Very Happy).

A separate PSU is totally ok. But where will you mount it? Most, if not all, system unit casings I know of have only one. Very Happy