FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Internet radio or local listening?

Helios
Do you have any songs on your hard disk (or CDs and such), or do you prefer listening to internet radio?

Few days ago I had to format my hard disk, and my humble 2,000 song collection is now gone.
I have a last.fm account, but I hadn't really used it until my hard disk crashed.
Now I'm on last.fm only, and I have to say that it is satisfying, and it's good to have some gigabytes free on the disk Smile
KatanaSky
last.fm is cool but I like pandora.com a whole lot better. if you like internet radio you should check out www.pandora.com that is, if you haven't already. they are pretty big so you may have already heard of the website before.
Helios
Please, speak on the subject. This isn't a topic about internet radio Wink
This is sort of an open pool Smile Anyway, yeah, I heard about pandora.com, and I had even used it before I used last.fm. Anyway, back to topic: what do you prefer then? Internet radio or local files?
woodenbrick
I listen to the last.fm radio to discover new bands, then download the ones I like. A fairly small collection on my hard drive (968 songs), though I have a lot more on my mums computer back in the U.K., along with my entire CD collection. Will bring them all back to Bulgaria with me when I visit at Christmas Very Happy
Josso
Well, I go for a compromise. I listen to Last.fm a fair bit to discover new artists but I do have quite a bit of music on my hard drive. Once it gets to a few gigs I usually just burn all my albums onto CD-Rs.
mjohnson
I listen music via Last.fm, pandora.com is another better choice!
ddukki
I don't listen to the radio anymore because of mainstream reasons. I heard Lastfm caters to your tastes, and I admit I found some bands from there; but I usually only listen to my library.
Nutteloos
I've expanded my library to the point where I haven't even heard half of it yet... I have to agree with Dukki on that the regular radio is too much mainstream. Constantly hearing the same music gets old fast.

If I found an internet radio station with more diverse music, and more similar to my taste, I might try that. For now, I'll just stick to what I have, and it will last me for quite some time.
virre
I use both, I listen to things from my collection and on webradio I listen to FolkAlley.com and BBC5Live (mostly at night time).

Last.fm I have used sometimes but the kind of music I like has a limited amount of itself there anyway. When you hear the same song the x:ed time you grow tiered of it.
The_Gamer294
I listen to the radio... lol
Keran
I don't usualy listen to the internet radios, I have most of the songs I like on my PC or on the CD's. Simply when I hear some interesting song I find out what band/author it is and what's the song name and I get it, that's how I form my music hit list ;]
ashish2005
I rarely listen to radios and fms but sometimes when my friends say that this song is being played, this person is hosting the show etc. then I listen to the local radios. But I do not listen to internet radios because of my slow internet connection. I tried listening once in winamp.
SpellcasterDX
I don't know of any internet radios other than last fm. I listen to last fm's radio to check out new bands that are similar to what I like. However when I get bored of that I listen to my music on my iPod.
missdixy
Helios wrote:
Do you have any songs on your hard disk (or CDs and such), or do you prefer listening to internet radio?

Few days ago I had to format my hard disk, and my humble 2,000 song collection is now gone.
I have a last.fm account, but I hadn't really used it until my hard disk crashed.
Now I'm on last.fm only, and I have to say that it is satisfying, and it's good to have some gigabytes free on the disk Smile

Oh saint! I am so sorry. Losing musich as always been a tragedy for me. I am not sure what I would do if I lost all my music and could only listen to internet radio. eeeeep. Sad
Patriot Players
Depends really on what sort of mood Im in. Sometimes I want to hear my own stuff, and pick what Im hearing, other times Im game for anything. Always nice to have pandora around for a chance to hear something new and cool. So yeah I balance between the two really.
bigdan
The only radio stations I listen to on a regular basis are two local AM stations, bur I get paid to listen to those Laughing I occasionally listen to our local FM station, but that's occasionally.

I hate last.fm because their tech support are useless. I get more of a response from my dogs. Last.fm and CBS can go and jump in the creek and drown for all I care...

I find out about new music from Rage on ABC TV, occasionally Video Hits on Ten, and from iTunes. Otherwise, I stick with good ol' WinAmp and my decent sized collection.

That reminds me...I must by that external hard drive and backup my collection...
SimonWSTS
I have never tried interent radio I must confess, this is probably because of the awful stuff that the FM radio stations broadcast these days. It means I continue to build my own music collection so that I can have my own personalised random selection when I turn on shuffle! That way I know I'm going to like it.

So... in answer to the topic, i guess i prefer local files.
GB
bigdan wrote:
I hate last.fm because their tech support are useless. I get more of a response from my dogs. Last.fm and CBS can go and jump in the creek and drown for all I care...

Yeah, Last.fm says they personally read every email, which sounds great, but the answer I got back from them was pretty much exactly what the error message said which I didn't understand in the first place.

For all their faults, though, I like last.fm quite a bit. I like how it tracks what you listen to and allows you to build a play list.

As for internet radio vs. your own collection vs. local stations, I usually listen to my own collection, but will branch out into internet radio when I'm in the mood for a niche music style that I don't own much of. That's what I see as the future of internet radio as well, supporting niche markets that "local" stations can't do. (I put local in quotes because here in the USA at least, many local stations are actually owned by large, nationwide conglomerates, which, while giving some more variety to smaller markets, contributes to the homogenization of the music we hear on the radio.)

I believe each has its place, but I prefer to own music so I can hear it whenever I want instead of hoping it comes up on the radio.
filet
I would say both, when I'm not online I listen to audios from my hd, if tired of listening to the same songs, I use this site : http://www.live-radio.net/- they have huge compilations of radio stations from all over the world.
mattchun
I prefer listening to music in my harddisk, because I can choose whatever music I like.
bigdan
GB wrote:
Yeah, Last.fm says they personally read every email, which sounds great, but the answer I got back from them was pretty much exactly what the error message said which I didn't understand in the first place.

For all their faults, though, I like last.fm quite a bit. I like how it tracks what you listen to and allows you to build a play list.

I know. I've since switched to MOG, and not only does it work, but they are more responsive to people's issues. The only problem is that you have to submit all your track titles to their database before it will recognise your tracks. I'm a third of the way through though, I'm slowly getting there! Razz
dinael
My connection isn't so fast it could stream music normally, so I listen it from HD. Confused
internetjobs
can we capture that audio into local system easily with the same effect?
XeononyX
I have a little bit of everything going on.. I have ripped my CD's to my computer for easily accessing them and also when I just cant quite figure out what to listen to I will listen to internet radio. Mainly Chronix radio and the such. Also I do enjoy listening to local radio stations from time to time.

I just don't let myself fall into the trap of watching MTV and the others.
kizarop
I make my playlist by myself and have my own radio station, so other broadcasts are useless.
poly
I really prefer to play my own mp3s too.. I don t really like radio that much..
tamilparks
if i am using PC i will use it from the PC MP3 and if i am not using i will hear it from the RADIO
zumbaddicted
dig radio from australia. they have 3 types of internet radio:

1) triple j (rock/pop)
2) dig (rock/pop/folk)
3) dig country
moe-d
I prefer internet radio myself. Listening to the local stations here is painful bacause they play that stupid song by Soldier Boy all day long. At least on internet radio you never know what you are going to get!!
typingphenom2007
I like an equal amount of both. Whatever is convenient for me at the time. If I'm at the computer, I'll listen to internet radio but if I'm in my room, I'll listen to my cd collection.
the6thfactor
typingphenom2007 wrote:
I like an equal amount of both. Whatever is convenient for me at the time. If I'm at the computer, I'll listen to internet radio but if I'm in my room, I'll listen to my cd collection.
Ditto. I have all of my music compiled on my external HD, so it's just a matter if I want to hear some new stuff or not Smile
Kamo
There are only few of interent radio's broadcasting the music i listen to so i need to have something to listen on hdd.

So both in my case.