FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Server 2 Unusually Slow Today + Serving Blank Pages.

GSIS
Just a heads up - Server 2 is very slow at the moment.

I'm not sure if it's related but I'm having a lot of blank pages served. Refresh usually brings back what I expect, but not every time.
gnomme
this is normal?? oh my god! Shocked
gerpg
no, this is not normal, Server2 is abnormally slow today.
gerpg
There is an abnormally high serverload on server2 atm, i suspect its someone running a script over and over and running up the load, once the server admins come online they will sort it.

Louis.
GSIS
Many thanks.

Within the last half hour, or so, I've backed up my site and optimised the database. I'll see if that helps.

I've also noticed I'm getting nothing but blank pages from Squirrel Mail and UebiMiau.

I'm wondering if someone's running bulk mailings (spamming the world).
dwikristianto
something really bad happen.
is there any admin around ?

SOS
dwikristianto
i wish i have root password, i will kill that bloated processes.
is there anything we can do ?
Bondings
My apologies for the problems. Pretty much all resource intensive scripts on the server where running at the same time. Server backup, server indexing, log processing, ... and this together with a few users taking a backup and getting quite some traffic to their websites. I stopped the scripts and everything should get back to normal now.
dwikristianto
hi bondings,

so u run it manually? why not use cron and schedule it in different couple of hours ??
GSIS
It's always seriously embarrassing, for the tech guys, when the sh!t hits the fan - and it always happens when everyone wants everything "NOW!"

Oh well, hopefully it'll settle down now. Time to get some work done.

On a happy note - I tried out a few guesses at typical search strings that people who are looking for the stuff I sell might use. It looks as though I might be about to get busy. Very Happy
Bondings
dwikristianto wrote:
hi bondings,

so u run it manually? why not use cron and schedule it in different couple of hours ??

No it's with a cron job, but it has to happen during the night (server time) and takes very long so there might always be a chance of overlapping. (I tried to reschedule it a bit better now, though) Normally that should only cause a high to very high load, but not stopping the websites and this big of course. However this time it was combined with users taking backups, log processing at the start of the month and unusually high website traffic for the time of the day (or someone executing heavy scripts).
dwikristianto
@bondings:

i think u should redefine the definition of "night", since it's internet server and people all around the world access to it.
u need to find when the server load from day to day is lowest, in that condition, i think that should be night for server.

if possible, the program that will be executed, also check the server load before continue running. it's not so easy, but not to hard either to do. could be need some small mods to the current cron jobs.

btw, thanks for keeping the server load at lowest state.

--

i have problem in http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-78237.html#658212 but seem no one care about it.
tribe
I'm not sure what server I am on, but the last 2-3 days have led to a lot of blank pages and slow loads, and I know its happening because I also try to go to www.frihost.com and even that does not work.

My hostname you guys got for me is frihost.com so I may be on Server 1 though?
Bondings
tribe wrote:
I'm not sure what server I am on, but the last 2-3 days have led to a lot of blank pages and slow loads, and I know its happening because I also try to go to www.frihost.com and even that does not work.

The hostname is host.frihost.net, but yes you are hosted on server 1. There were/are indeed some problems with the server the last few days, however what you experienced could also/partly be due to network issues between you and the server.

Edit: While posting this post I also got a blank page so it's probably the server. I'll investigate it tomorrow.
tribe
Bondings wrote:
tribe wrote:

The hostname is host.frihost.net, but yes you are hosted on server 1. There were/are indeed some problems with the server the last few days, however what you experienced could also/partly be due to network issues between you and the server.

Edit: While posting this post I also got a blank page so it's probably the server. I'll investigate it tomorrow.

Yah about 10 minutes ago I got a few more blank pages, including on this site! I bookmarked your server status check page, although I do not think it is picks up these blank pages me and the members of my site are getting.

www.guinzone.com
Bondings
There was also a short, but big spike in the server load. It went to 30-40 for a few minutes and fell back to normal a few minutes later. Most likely a heavy page/sql query that was executed.
coreymanshack
Bondings wrote:
There was also a short, but big spike in the server load. It went to 30-40 for a few minutes and fell back to normal a few minutes later. Most likely a heavy page/sql query that was executed.

I noticed this, one day it was at like 16+, I was like woah. Is 16+ normal for this server I wonder?
Bondings
coreymanshack wrote:
Bondings wrote:

I noticed this, one day it was at like 16+, I was like woah. Is 16+ normal for this server I wonder?

Yes it's unusual for the server. The displayed server load is an avarage (to be precise, not an average but a complex function with a memory of about 5/10/15 minutes), which means that if there is a short peak, the actual/current server load is much higher than displayed.
coreymanshack
Bondings wrote:
coreymanshack wrote:
Bondings wrote:

Yes it's unusual for the server. The displayed server load is an avarage (to be precise, not an average but a complex function with a memory of about 5/10/15 minutes), which means that if there is a short peak, the actual/current server load is much higher than displayed.

you mean the actual/current server load is much lower than displayed if there was a short peak? I understand now Very Happy
mathiaus
No, its possible for it to be higher. If it is constant at 1 for 5 minutes, the average is of course 1. If for a short time, it goes up to say 5, the average load over minutes would only be 2. So the actual current server load will sometimes be higher than the average.
tribe
I just had another spike I would guess in the last 30 minutes, I couldn't log-on here or on my own site. Is this a problem that can be traced to find the source, or is it just something we gotta live with?

I simply ask because for about 3-4 months there, I never had a single problem at all on this server, and now over the last few days I am getting blank pages galore!

But Thanks for working hard on the site and what you do!
taytay
tribe wrote:
I just had another spike I would guess in the last 30 minutes, I couldn't log-on here or on my own site. Is this a problem that can be traced to find the source, or is it just something we gotta live with?

I simply ask because for about 3-4 months there, I never had a single problem at all on this server, and now over the last few days I am getting blank pages galore!

I must agree. Things go just terrible for me at the most random times of smooth sailing. Seriously it's like I'm sitting in a canoe in the middle of the ocean and out of no where the sky turns into a hurricane savage and I sink to the bottom of the ocean, then slowly float back to the surface in a whirl of adrenaline having no clue what just happened... all in a blur of 5 minutes...

If someone(or two) in general is doing this they must be stopped! I say we burn the perpetrator!!! Ooo Raa!!
Bockman
tribe wrote:

tribe, if you consider that your account AND the forums are at different servers (the forum has been moved), this means that either you are having problems connecting to our servers OR that the servers provider is having problems with it's WAN links.
We'll try and get to the bottom of this as soon as possible.

Be Well Cool