You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Helping with Japaneese,Dutch,Spanish,and portugeese

Ok id be happy to help anyone with japanese.Just post and well get STARTED!
Few words i remember easily(And my Favs):
rikugun (Army)
kami (god)
korosu (kill)
How do i say:

Hello, my name is Louis. I live in New Zealand. Whats your name and where do you live?

wow this may take a bit lol il get back to you!
This is how you say it:こんにちは、私の名前はルイスです。 私はニュージーランドに住んでいます。 Whatsあなたの名前そしてあなたがどこに住んでいますか?Dutch:Het hallo, is mijn naam Louis. Ik leef in Nieuw-zeeland. Wat uw naam en waar u leef?
Azrath wrote:
Dutch:Het hallo, is mijn naam Louis. Ik leef in Nieuw-zeeland. Wat uw naam en waar u leef?

Negative, thats a horrible internet translation. Correct:
Hoi, mijn naam is Louis. Ik woon in Nieuw-Zeeland. Wat is jouw naam en waar woon jij?
Sharky232 wrote:

Negative, thats a horrible internet translation.

Indeed it is. It is painfully obvious with the "whats" in the Japanese "translation." Anyhow, the translation, since those are really simple sentences, are basically correct except for that bit which got messed up because the machine could not translate the "whats."

Azrath wrote:
This is how you say it:こんにちは、私の名前はルイスです。 私はニュージーランドに住んでいます。 Whatsあなたの名前そしてあなたがどこに住んでいますか?

Although, there are a few things that I need to clarify first:

こんにちは(konnichi wa) is basically "good afternoon" which can also serve as a general "hello" but in that case, mostly in correspondences and the such. Also, if the context is a first meeting and self introduction the way this case seems to be, then it is often better to use はじめまして(hajimemashite) in its place instead (It's like a "nice to meet you" which is used more often in cases of self-intro than the English counterpart, where "Hello" can usually replace)

私(watashi, or the more formal watakushi) for guys to use is fine, but in not explicitly strict cases, males can use 僕(boku), or 俺(ore), although Japanese teachers would warn you to never use the latter (ore) at work or formal places, it is mostly not used when you are trying to be formal, but have been used by Japanese males at work from what I gathered.

私の名前は(watashi no namae wa...) can be used in self introduction or just <name>です(desu), but usually it is done as <name>といいます/と申します/でございます(to iimasu/to moushimasu/de gozaimasu) iimasu is literally "I am called..." (whereas moushimasu is the self-humbling alternative of iimasu). And a side note, first and second person pronouns are often dropped since from context it's usually obvious who is referred to.

あなたの名前(anata no namae) although you can ask like that, the alternative meaning it has amongst married couples aside, it can be deemed not really polite since Japanese people avoid the use the numerous variations of the personal pronoun "you" (anata, anta, omae, etc) if they can when meeting new people, talking to superiors, etc. (Although teenagers now use them more freely amongst themselves, but of course still avoid it when they need to show respect). So, in this case "お名前は何ですか"(onamae wa nan desu ka) is the more common way to ask for names.

Final note, usually Japanese people just do their self intro and wait for the other person to respond instead of continuing directly onto asking about the listener's names and the such, so the direct translation of what was said is still going to sound weird, just keep that in mind.

So, anyhow, after so much blabbering, here's the way to say it, you can substitute in some of the less formal variations of certain words I mentioned above, but I'll be giving the more formal version:

(hajimemashite, ruisu to moushimasu. nyuujiirando ni sunde imasu. onamae wa nan desu ka. doko ni sunde imasu ka.

*falls over from typing for so long*