FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Alternative to Dreamweaver?

Da Rossa
Is there a software that does the same thing that Dreamweaver does, with open source, a solid community and acceptable features?
Thanks!
mehulved
What about NVu? It has quite decent features. It's open source, too. And yeah free of cost.
Then, again it depends on what type or work you do and what you consider decent.
I personally don't use advanced features, I just want something quite basic so I use bluefish, whenever need be.
I have also tried NVu but didn't give it enough time to really use the feature sets.
Da Rossa
mehulved wrote:
What about NVu? It has quite decent features. It's open source, too. And yeah free of cost.
Then, again it depends on what type or work you do and what you consider decent.
I personally don't use advanced features, I just want something quite basic so I use bluefish, whenever need be.
I have also tried NVu but didn't give it enough time to really use the feature sets.

Downloaded and noted for possible use, thanks!
Anymore programs? Smile
imagefree
I used just 2. One Frontpage and second Dreamweaver.

Currently i am using Dreamweaver and i never returned to Frontpage.

I have also heared about NVU but never used it. Many people say its good. So, try it and haveanother experience.
Da Rossa
For now I've chosen DW 8. Thanks!
carlospro7
hmmm don't use front page, i used for a while and switched to dreamweaver
Da Rossa
carlospro7 wrote:
hmmm don't use front page, i used for a while and switched to dreamweaver

I wouldn't! Smile I'm even thinking about getting some video tutorials about DW Smile
greatfire
there is no real alternative to dream weaver as far as i am concerned
mehulved
I don't think NVu is a true competitor for Dreamviewer when it comes to professionals.
But, I believe it does quite well for those who don't want to make something too complex and don't want to pay for Dreamweaver or pirate it.
ChrisHoppus
notepad ftw ;x
PseudoKnight
Professionals don't use WYSIWYG editors. Thusly it's uncommon to find one that has a strong community. I'd suggest using a color-coded html/php editor.
frih
there are various software availabl on the internet....you can search through google.
welshsteve
For a basic scripting editor, there is none better than Notepad++ in my opinion. Here are some key feature.

1. It's free
2. It's has coloured coding making scripts easier to read and edit.
3. The colour coding is configurable
4. Supports pretty much any programming/scripting language
5. You can open files directly in a browser from the app.
6. You can record and run macros.
7. There are extensions available.
8. Script files has collapsable/expandable sections allowing you close a section of code to work on another section, which is ideal for long document.

plus man many more
dirkvb
I think, i you got dreamweaver, you better keep it.
I'm using it for school website and it works better than al other website builders I've ever seen.
welshsteve
dirkvb wrote:
I think, i you got dreamweaver, you better keep it.
I'm using it for school website and it works better than al other website builders I've ever seen.

If you do have Dreamweaver it does make sense to use it, as it's very expensive