FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Best browser!?!






Best browser?
IE 7
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Firefox 2
63%
 63%  [ 12 ]
Opera 9
36%
 36%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 19

bloodrider
I have became grumbler with Firefox 2, IE 7 does not even count (I tried it but I did not really liked it, maybe it is trauma Razz)!
Firefox eats to much RAM, from time to time it overloads the CPU and it even freezes!

Now I installed Opera, and for now, it seems quite good. It's fast, as some nice features like mouse gesture, email and IRC clients, can handle torrents, see --> http://www.opera.com/products/desktop/
Until now it seems stable Smile

So how you can clearly see, for me, the best browser is Opera Exclamation see this --> http://internet-browser-review.toptenreviews.com/

IE can not keep up with competition, to firefox fanatics I only say to them to try Opera before talk Twisted Evil
Stubru Freak
There already is a "What browser do you use?" topic.

But maybe it isn't exactly the same as this topic.

I'd say Opera is a better browser, but I really need some of my Firefox extensions. So I use Firefox.
MrBlueSky
Well.. what Stubru Freak says. Maybe there are better browsers, there are certainly faster ones, but I can't do without the Firefox extensions and its flexibilty.
bloodrider
Well, maybe in the past Opera did not have the necessary extensions, but now it have the Widgets (http://widgets.opera.com/), try and you may find the widget correspondent to the extension.
Then, why not give a try to Opera?
However I understand if it has not the "extensions" that you need.
djcaution
I kinda like internet explorer...... Laughing
bloodrider
djcaution wrote:
I kinda like internet explorer...... Laughing


Crazy guy Razz you have to be really courageous to enjoy IE Exclamation
Have you ever tried other browser than IE?
mehulved
bloodrider wrote:
djcaution wrote:
I kinda like internet explorer...... Laughing


Crazy guy Razz you have to be really courageous to enjoy IE Exclamation
Have you ever tried other browser than IE?

I know a few people who prefer using Maxthon, that uses IE engine, I believe.
I regularly use both Opera and Firefox.
Opera is my browser of choice but firefox scores in extensions so I keep it on too, to make use of the extensions. I have never found opera widgets as useful as firefox extensions.
For everything else opera scores over Firefox for me. Then again it's each person's own preference.
I cannot confirm but I currently have compiled firefox from source and it's not going too high on memory, but I don't have too many extensions loaded either so difficult to verify really.
MrBlueSky
bloodrider wrote:
Well, maybe in the past Opera did not have the necessary extensions, but now it have the Widgets (http://widgets.opera.com/), try and you may find the widget correspondent to the extension.
Then, why not give a try to Opera?
However I understand if it has not the "extensions" that you need.


Maybe I will one day. But currently I know how to tweak firefox, I know how it works 'under the hood', I can create my own extensions, easily adopt existing extensions if I want too. When I switch to Opera I would have to learn all those things from start.
spacis
That is a good point MrBlueSky, I also like how easy it is to use, although my main reason for using it is loyalty, it was the first piece of software that i came across that was apposed to Windows, and Microsoft, which is why i like it so much. Also there is lots of custom content for it and the constant upgrades make it very useable for a person that had to survive on 32 kbps until about 2 weeks ago

joe
imagefree
From all the browsers that i have used till now, i think Opera is the Best.

I dont know why people say that FireFox is best one. I think they have never tried Opera. Opera has some features that are very helpful for a web designer and a learner of web designing.
fadirocks
Mozilla SeaMonkey
that's what I would vote for
but where is it?

what happened to Safari and umm other browsers?
MrBlueSky
fadirocks wrote:
Mozilla SeaMonkey
that's what I would vote for
but where is it?

what happened to Safari and umm other browsers?


I used Seamonkey for quite a while, and I liked it very much. The only problem was most of the standard FF extensions don't work in Seamonkey. So I was happy to find a page which had al the interesting plugins made compatible for Seamonkey. If anyone is interessted in that page, let me know, with a bit of luck I can find it again.
bloodrider
MrBlueSky wrote:
Maybe I will one day. But currently I know how to tweak firefox, I know how it works 'under the hood', I can create my own extensions, easily adopt existing extensions if I want too. When I switch to Opera I would have to learn all those things from start.


Yes, maybe it's hard to some people. There's some people that do not like changes Rolling Eyes
If Opera can not correspond to your needs, OK, that I comprehend. Now if you say me, I will not change my "old car" because I am too used to it, well... d'oh!

PS: When I changed from XP to Vista I did not have to learn everything from the start... that applies to all kinds of software!
bloodrider
fadirocks wrote:
Mozilla SeaMonkey
that's what I would vote for
but where is it?

what happened to Safari and umm other browsers?


Yes, I should have consider other browsers, but when I created this topic I was thinking in the "Windows Universe". And now I can not edit the poll Embarassed
bri4n5
Stubru Freak wrote:

I'd say Opera is a better browser, but I really need some of my Firefox extensions. So I use Firefox.


Well said, I can't live without my firefox extensions Razz
corey
Its a shame that Lynx is not considered. There's very little that's faster. Of course, if you wanna see the pictures, its not so good. Wink
MrBlueSky
corey wrote:
Its a shame that Lynx is not considered. There's very little that's faster. Of course, if you wanna see the pictures, its not so good. Wink


Lynx and Links are good browsers for testing internet applications.
koltz
(Social web browser)
Very intresting Firefox - browser

Find here
http://www.flock.com/
Ranfaroth
bloodrider wrote:
to firefox fanatics I only say to them to try Opera before talk Twisted Evil
I tried Opera (on win32), and I definitely prefer Seamonkey.
Opera use more RAM, is close source, and can't understand some modern web standards....
Quote:
Yes, I should have consider other browsers, but when I created this topic I was thinking in the "Windows Universe".
There are many other browsers in the "Windows Universe", including SeaMonkey, KMeleon...

OS Master
I think Firefox is the best browser, because it is safe and secure, and it has the ability to use add-ons. However, it seems to crash often on Vista, but I still use it!
babumuchhala
OH here we go another best browser topic.

Anyways I will say its Opera 9, as its much more memory efficient, super fast, and highly feature rich.

FF2 is a memory hog and is literally bland when compared to Opera i.e. directly out of the box, and extension can change the scene but one really has to search for the extensions, and mostly the extensions make FF a bigger memory hog and sometimes unstable

IE7 is slow and crawls and thats what put me off to go beyond.
huckebein
I'm waiting for the next opera release, mostly because of the CSS3 support... in the meanwhile Opera9 does the job quite well, tho I keep FF2 for side stuff and website testing, ya know, to check that the designs are multy plataform, I have a friend who checks my stuff in other browsers like safari ... and well... I couldn't care less about IE... ANY IE... >.>
dude_xyx
I use Firefox mainly for its stability and high number of great plug ins it supports. Only one problem i had with it. Recently twice my all bookmarks got vanished and even backup didn't work. Except the fact that it needs lot of RAM everything else is ok.

I think ll install Opera 9 and give it a try. Can we install Google tool bar on it ?

.
friuser
I personally use portable firefox and operausb. It works well. sometimes firefox locks up on me but otherwise it is the method i use to surf the internet. Give it a try. It is versatile, convenient, portable, and makes life easier if you have many computers like i do or just like a browser in one folder.

I like firefox much better than internet explorer in security and features but it consistantly causes me memory problems which thankfully portable firefox prevents complete freezes that mess up my task bar . I might like opera more if there's more ad blocking. too many sites have too much ads for no content :(
bloodrider
dude_xyx wrote:
I use Firefox mainly for its stability and high number of great plug ins it supports. Only one problem i had with it. Recently twice my all bookmarks got vanished and even backup didn't work. Except the fact that it needs lot of RAM everything else is ok.

I think ll install Opera 9 and give it a try. Can we install Google tool bar on it ?

.


Yes! You can install a google toolbar on Opera, as you can see on this site: http://widgets.opera.com/widget/4282

For now Opera as 1281 widgets, it is not to much but it is something Smile
Zeferman
Opera, it has:
Bookmarks
RSS Feeds
Emailing Client
Skins
Tabs
And loads!

It remebers what tabs where open when you left and keeps them for the next session Very Happy
Arnie
Opera passes the Acid2 test. Firefox doesn't. On all tests I've read about and done myself (except Ranfaroth's...) Opera was far better than any Gecko browser regarding RAM usage and speed.

And this topic isn't a billboard... no need to post stupid buttons of your favourite browser to convert people.
Ranfaroth
Arnie wrote:
Opera passes the Acid2 test. Firefox doesn't.
Firefox 3.0 passes it since December 2006... (it uses Gecko 1.9 branch, which is in development, but stable enough to be used by people which cares about ACID2...)
Quote:
And this topic isn't a billboard
So why do you write stupid and unjustified assertions ?

Just as the initiator of this thread, I advise people to test other browsers, like KMeleon, K-Ninja or SeaMonkey, which version 1.1.4 has just been released...

Arnie
Just some random links for the occasional reader who doesn't feel like testing many browsers side by side.
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-linux-memory.html?ca=dgr-lnxw07LinuxMemory (see table 1)
http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html
http://www.digitalinsane.com/archives/2007/02/05/web_browser_memory_usage/
Note that SeaMonkey was formerly "the Mozilla suite" or short "Mozilla". Firefox started as Phoenix, a lightweight version of it, because people didn't need the built-in email client, etc.

The public beta of Opera 9.0 was the first Windows browser to ever pass Acid2, and Firefox 3 still isn't even in beta, while Opera 9.0 stable was released in June 2006, even before Firefox' development version passed it!
Animal
I'm surprised this topic has lasted so long to be honest. Our existing thread on what browser you use is really far too similar to this - please continue your browser-choice discussions there.

-close-
Related topics
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Software

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.