FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

website design for a club

teko
hi all, I need to design a website for the cycling club Iīm in. The thing is that I will not be the person doing the updates to the site in the future and they really just want to get one up and running quickly.

The site will have some static pages, describing club info, location, training times and then club news which would be updated on a weekly basis. It would be ideal if it would be as easy as possible to do such updates so that it could be done through a web browser. I would not to have to start teaching the guys in the club how to use ftp, and how to edit html as the emphasis would be on updating the website.

Any ideas on how to achieve this? I was thinking of using blogspot.com but would like something with more features? Is there any other software out there that would do this for me?

thanks
darvit
I recommend Wordpress. It's more than just blogging software--it's a powerful CMS as well. It's user-friendly and allows static pages, too. Pages could be updated by logging in to the admin dashboard. There are tons of developers writing plugins for it, and tons of designers creating themes for it as well.

People have been using it as a CMS, and I even know somebody who created a fanfiction archive using it! Very Happy You can also click on the blue and gray button on my signature--that site is built on Wordpress as well. Razz

You can check out this link formore information.
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2006/04/20/from-weblog-to-cms.html
teko
thanks I've been checking out wordpress and it looks like what I've been looking for. I've also been looking at CMS software like Joomla and will see if I'll go with them or not. I'll play around with both and see how I get on. It wont be me using it mainly at the end of the day so it will depend on whichever one is more user friendly
littlegiant
Yeah, I'd recommend Wordpress as well. But definitely look into installing some plugins, especially those that control comment spam (and believe me, you're going to get a LOT of it). Also, if you want your site to get high rankings in search engines, you're going to have to tweak how Wordpress handles the <title> tags on each page. Personally, I tweaked the PHP files myself to insert the title of each post but there's a plugin that handles this automatically (although admittedly, I never tried it). That plugin is here:

http://www.netconcepts.com/seo-title-tag-plugin/
darvit
littlegiant wrote:
Yeah, I'd recommend Wordpress as well. But definitely look into installing some plugins, especially those that control comment spam (and believe me, you're going to get a LOT of it).

In addition to that, you may want to check out Mashable's list of 300+ useful Wordpress plugins and tools! Very Happy
http://mashable.com/2007/08/16/wordpress-god300-tools-for-running-your-wordpress-blog/

It's a great updated list and you're bound to find something for your site over there. Razz

Good luck with the site!
teko
thanks for that link to the wordpress plugins its great and will come in very handy