FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

tropical fish

evilhobouk
hi,

im currently in the beginning stages of looking after and breeding tropical fish. Doe anyone else on the boards do this? Im a big fan of balloon mollys and guaramis.

evilhobouk
crdowner
I do not have fish any longer but I raised guppies for years. I also tried my hand at neons, mollies, and several other breeds. The only ones that I ever successfully bred were guppies though.
dolly983
i have a fish a 3 years im very like them
Drawingguy
If you've just started keeping fish, then perhaps you shouldn't try your hand at breeding just yet. It takes a while, first of all, to understand what it means and takes to take care of any fish- there's the filtration, tank size, substrate, water changes, etc. Just grasping those details isn't enough; it takes some time to really experience the whole hobby, and learn what you need to know about the whole fishkeeping deal.

That being said, there's no problem with keeping the fish. However, breeding them is a completely different story. You need to understand culls, and most importantly, you need to have a place to keep all of the developing fish. A lot of breeders have fishrooms, which are basically rooms devoted to tanks. There, it becomes a lot easier to breed a fish, especially when you can control the pH, temperature, lighting so much better. If you're just starting to look after tropical fish, though, you may not have the space necessary to really breed fish.
agustin
nice beautyfull animals... i saw a couple of colours fishes and they are beautyfull!
silvertailsfox
Cool hobby. =) I used to have fish when I was very little but I never got the right supplies for them so they kind of died quite quickly. =/
If you're breeding fish, be careful! The bigger fish will eat the babies (and all the other smaller fish xD). I have a friend who keeps two extra tanks specifically for breeding.
hiquality
I used to have guppies when i was 20 Very Happy ... it was a cool hobby... but ... i was very busy ... no food and they died!!!
Sad Sad
I loved my guppies Smile
awentsbury
I used to breed tropical angel fish , I used to get pairs and try and breed a pure black fish , Angels lay their eggs on a piece of slate at an angle in the tank then the male fertilises the eggs and fans them till they hatch .
i fed the babies on micro worm , then on to fine flakes before going on to fresh Dapheny from the local pond.
The trouble was getting rid of the fish to the fish shops , they never wanted the quantity when i needed to sell them , and they wanted to pay next to nothing for them although they retailed them for a big profit.
With the heat and time involved it was just not worth doing so I gave it all up , I did enjoy it but there is never enough time in the day as it is .
Very Happy Smile Surprised Laughing
eltony
NO he tenido nunca un pez pero si una tortuga no cuenta????
awentsbury
Very Happy NO he tenido nunca un pez pero si una tortuga no cuenta????

can someone translate this reply , if I knew what laguage it is written in I could do an internet translation, these are very good , my kids pointed me to the translation site that was free .
Ian.
Drawingguy
It's either Spanish (which I understand it to be), or portuguese (with enough coincidences that the grammar and words are exactly the same in this given sentence). Just take it as Spanish.

I think it means something like 'I've never had a fish, but does a turtle count?'
Rico
Some people swallow goldfish whole. What do you think is wrong with them?
awentsbury
Hi all , do we all have to post meaninless posts in order to keep our free webspace or is there some other way to keep webspace active.
does anyone know how to upload photo`s to posts, Very Happy Question
patasarriba
I'd recommend that anyone interested in keeping tropical fish as pets checks out the following link:
http://archives.cnn.com/2000/ASIANOW/southeast/11/19/indonesia.poisoned.fish.ap/index.html

The tropical fish often arrive at your pet store thanks to cyanide. Yes, cyanide. The cyanide often attacks the fish's internal organs causing it to die once it's already in your tank, as the above article explains. In addition, the cyanide used to capture fish often takes a huge environmental toll, killing (literally) tons of fish before they can be shipped out, and destroying coral reefs.

The best way to make sure your fish won't die of cyanide poisoning once they're in your home is to look for Marine Aquarium Council certification. Otherwise you could lose lots of money and you might be contributing to environmental degradation.
Rico
My brother is a fish nut. He had a sick octopus once that died. I had some gold fish and the occational tropical tank. I find them a little high maintenance though. Once my brother had fish that bred and the male kept the little one's in his mouth to keep them safe. Maybe i saw that on a nature program, Who know what was real and what was on tv anymore?
natem
Usually its salt water fish that are collected with cyanide. Fresh water fish are not as a rule. If you want to contribute to the preservation of the aquatic environment, buy fish that are bred in captivity. They are hardier as well, and there is enough selection that you really can't condone buying wild caught.
russel26
fish is very pretty most of all like to eat.....other kin fish not dophin ha...
tjasbury
I have Sunburst Platys and have been breeding them for a couple years. They are pretty easy to breed. I started with five and now I have over 30. You do have to set up your tank conditions to put them in the proper "mood." Wink Increase the temp of your tank to near 80 deg F and add some aquarium salt (1 Tbs / 10 gal should be ok). The gestation cycle for these fish is about three weeks. So keep your eyes peeled, it happens quickly. When you think one of your pregnant females is ready (she will be very wide looking from the front) ease her into a birthing tank or other apparatus for birthing. It may take a few days, but she should give birth to her fry soon after. The number of fry seems to depend on the maturity of the mother. I have had a young mother give birth to just a couple fry and a more mature mother (2 yrs old) give birth to about 20 fry. Remember to remove the mother from the fry since she will have a tendency to eat them.

Leave the fry in the birthing tank for them to grow. Do not release immediately to the mature tank. It will take several months for the fry to grow large enough to defend themselves from larger fish. Take your time with this. You can feed your fry frozen daphnia. (This can be picked up for a few bucks at and good aquarium store. I recommend this over the powdered daphnia as it merely floats, and the fry sometimes don't recognize it as food.) Be careful about the quality of your water and other tank conditions when raising the fry. The fry are more sensitive. I recommend doing a water change every three days instead of once a week. Be careful of temperature. Maintain your tank between 74 and 78 deg F. (Sixteen fry in my tank died in one day when the temperature spiked last Summer.)

Raising fish is a very satisfying experience. It takes extra time and effort, but I think it's worth it. Smile
Coclus
Tropical fish are awesome, I like to dive and snorkel, and know most species, but I would not breed them, I think..
Wolf1918
evilhobouk wrote:
hi,

im currently in the beginning stages of looking after and breeding tropical fish. Doe anyone else on the boards do this? Im a big fan of balloon mollys and guaramis.

evilhobouk

My mother used to have a pet shop and we raised fish for the store.

You have chosen Mollies, which give birth to live babies, and Guaramies, which lay eggs.

(If I remember rightly, and I only have experience with blue guaramies) the male guarami will build a 'bubble-nest' on the surface of the water, either in a corner or in floating plants. When the female's eggs are ready, the male will bend his body around hers, she will release the eggs, he will fertilize the eggs, then quickly catch them in his mouth and blow one egg per bubble into the bubbles in the nest. The eggs will develop there until they hatch and the babies will fall into the water. The male Guarami will guard the nest before and after it has eggs in it to protect the eggs, he will even drive his mate away.

Since you are talking about Fresh Water Tropical Fish, NOT Salt Water Tropical Fish, there is no cyanide used in collecting them. Most Fresh Water Tropicals are bred in captivity.

If you are just starting out, as you said, I would suggest that you either buy a couple of books, or borrow them from your local library. And you might want to start with fish that have live babies. They are much easier to breed, you will have a lot more early success and not get as discouraged. Egg layers can be tricky. While it's easy to get them to lay the eggs, it is harder to properly take care of the eggs so they don't develop fungus and die, and the babies are smaller so they need much smaller food which can sometimes be difficult to obtain.

Also, in either case, you must take care that the babies don't get sucked up into your filter system.

Good luck, and have fun,
Chad
Cddhesh
Wow thats great idea of yours.I had aquarium where i had some fish breeds,Not tropical other locals too,I had great timepass with them when i was bored of studies.If you are planning to kepp the fishes take care of the tank or aquarium.You should clean it atleast once in week.Other wise you will start getting pungent smell and ofcourse your pretty fishes will be unhappy.
yupeng
One of my classmates have some tropical fish ,and also have some fresh water fish within one fish tank,and when he was exchanging water .........
Those tropical fish ate the fresh water fish........
He was very very sad about the result.....He was a believer of doctrine of good nature....till that time.. Razz