FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Live Chat.

Good idea?
Yes
44%
 44%  [ 4 ]
No
55%
 55%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 9

gerpg
Add in a Live Javascript chat so that users can communicate to each other.

of course staff can't moderate all the time so add in options for users to block other users. I'm sure thier's a coder on this site thats capable of something like this.

Louis
rvec
try this irc chat:
#frihost on irc.dal.net

topic here: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-12060.html
cgiirc chat here: http://www.bierkip.nl/cgiirc
ocalhoun
I would really prefer a chat on the main website, which would give more opportunities to note when an interesting chat is going on and drop in. With it the way it is now, you just have to log on and hope that an interesting discussion is going on, and if there is not, you wasted your time.
dinael
ocalhoun wrote:
I would really prefer a chat on the main website, which would give more opportunities to note when an interesting chat is going on and drop in. With it the way it is now, you just have to log on and hope that an interesting discussion is going on, and if there is not, you wasted your time.

That's a good point, and I support the chat idea, as long as it doesn't affect stability,
and causes crashing of browser, what some scripts do.
The_Gamer294
tidruG
Don't we have that?
I think we do have a Java based IRC chat, but I don't know what the link to it is.
coreymanshack
What's so good about IRC? Why can't we have a resource consuming ajax chat Very Happy
Hogwarts
coreymanshack wrote:
What's so good about IRC? Why can't we have a resource consuming ajax chat Very Happy

Exactly.

I don't think using IRC for the live chat is a good idea, as IRC ports are commonly blocked in places. However, using AJAX for the chat applet would be alot better because it can run on port 80 (HTTP). To run something like CGI:IRC would be consuming and a waste of server resources - which is why CGI:IRC applets are not allowed on Frihosts servers.

The AJAX option, in my opinion, is alot better. IRC isn't suitable and isn't user-friendly enough (And I'm not just talking about the IRC bit being the user-unfriendly bit).
tidruG
Quote:
Why can't we have a resource consuming ajax chat

Doesn't that answer your own question? Razz
coreymanshack
tidruG wrote:
Quote:
Why can't we have a resource consuming ajax chat

Doesn't that answer your own question? Razz

It's not like frihost is so bogged down we don't have room for it. Frihost publicly displays the load on the server.
tidruG
Well, lately, you've probably noticed that the forums have been going offline (Apache down). I don't really know what that's about, but it could be due to some excess load on the server.
m-productions
id have to say this is a great idea... it will make more people want to chat in that.... and... IRC is just..I dont know... just not that great. its also not to user friendly to people who are knew to it.
coreymanshack
tidruG wrote:
Well, lately, you've probably noticed that the forums have been going offline (Apache down). I don't really know what that's about, but it could be due to some excess load on the server.

yea i noticed that last night. what is this server running off of? is this just like a pc with some amd sempron? i think we'd probably need to upgrade to an opteron. (that's if we're running amd)

we're probably on a megabit line too, way mediocre for this type of service.

i don't know im just making assumptions, could someone that knows fill me in?
mOrpheuS
coreymanshack wrote:
yea i noticed that last night. what is this server running off of? is this just like a pc with some amd sempron? i think we'd probably need to upgrade to an opteron. (that's if we're running amd)

The server (not PC) that the forums run off of is athlon and is on a 10mbit line at the savvis datacenter.
coreymanshack
mOrpheuS wrote:
coreymanshack wrote:

The server (not PC) that the forums run off of is athlon and is on a 10mbit line at the savvis datacenter.

ahh ok. our line seems to be ok, but our hardware sounds like it needs to be upgraded. maybe bondings could start a hardware upgrade donation pool, i would donate.
missdixy
IRC ftw!!

But this idea isn't totally bad either.
scotty
Isn't this kind of heading down the quick reply line of thinking? Obviously there'd be no points associated with chat but I guess it would be a nice addition. I've never used the IRC, something about chat rooms have never really interested me but hey an improvement is a good thing. Frihost has come quite a long way in the time I've been here!
Booba
ocalhoun wrote:

I like this idea Smile