FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The history of the internet - where did it start?

gerpg
The USSR launches Sputnik, the first artificial earth satellite. In response,the United States forms the Advanced Research Projects Agency (ARPA) within theDepartment of Defense (DoD) to establish US lead in science and technology applicable to the military.

RAND Paul Baran, of the RAND Corporation (a government agency), was commissioned by the U.S. Air Force to do a study on how it could maintain its command and control over its missiles and bombers, after a nuclear attack. This was to be a military research network that could survive a nuclear strike, decentralized so that if any locations (cities) in the U.S. were attacked, the military could still have control of nuclear arms for a counter-attack.

Baran's finished document described several ways to accomplish this. His final proposal was a packet switched network.

Quote:
"Packet switching is the breaking down of data into datagrams or packets that are labeled to indicate the origin and the destination of the information and the forwarding of these packets from one computer to another computer until the information arrives at its final destination computer. This was crucial to the realization of a computer network. If packets are lost at any given point, the message can be resent by the originator."

ARPA awarded the ARPANET contract to BBN. BBN had selected a Honeywell minicomputer as the base on which they would build the switch. The physical network was constructed in 1969, linking four nodes: University of California at Los Angeles, SRI (in Stanford), University of California at Santa Barbara, and University of Utah. The network was wired together via 50 Kbps circuits.

The first e-mail program was created by Ray Tomlinson of BBN.

The Advanced Research Projects Agency (ARPA) was renamed The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (or DARPA)

ARPANET was currently using the Network Control Protocol or NCP to transfer data. This allowed communications between hosts running on the same network.

Development began on the protocol later to be called TCP/IP, it was developed by a group headed by Vinton Cerf from Stanford and Bob Kahn from DARPA. This new protocol was to allow diverse computer networks to interconnect and communicate with each other.

Enjoy...

Louis.
Magicman
Very interesting. I'm curious what your sources are for this information. It might be interesting to read more about it and to see an official source.
dolly983
Magicman wrote:
Very interesting. I'm curious what your sources are for this information. It might be interesting to read more about it and to see an official source.
gerpg
I did the history of the internet in school not so long ago so i thought i'd post it here, there are thousands of sources.. just google 'the history of the internet'

http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=history+of+the+internet&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
HollyK
Also, part of it was to allow university computers to "talk" to each other. The protocols were standardized, and most of the early routing was carried out by smaller computers named IMP's, which also interfaced with the mainframes, so that little valuable mainframe time was wasted. The techniques evolved to a point where the operators could see a phone line begin to fail remotely before the phone company knew.
brucedes
You forgot 1990 when a researcher at CERN used a NeXT workstation to develop HTML, and thus lay the fundaments of the modern internet.
noticias
Very intereting