FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

auto-updating points

tony
after making a post, the user has to navigate to another page before the points counter at the top updates itself. it would be cool if that counter updated at the instant a post was made. just a suggestion, ya! thanks for d hosting!!!
LukeakaDanish
@Bondings:

I could easily make simple javascript script to do just that, if you tell me which function you use to calculate point earnings...

(good idea i guess ^^)

Another idea: let it auto update as the user types the message Smile

(I could easily code that as well i reckon...)
Ratmaster
I really don't see any point to this, because after you make a post, it brings you to an earnings page, which tells you how much you have earned, then you can see the difference from before and after you made the post.

Ohh, and just to point out... If you make a post shorter by editing it, it tells you that you got #.#### points/frih$ for that post, but it may actually subtract the amount. Shouldn't it say -#.####?
LukeakaDanish
Ratmaster wrote:
but it may actually subtract the amount.

Are you certain of this? I have always thought that the extra points where given for just the change...
Ratmaster
LukeakaDanish wrote:
Ratmaster wrote:
but it may actually subtract the amount.

Are you certain of this? I have always thought that the extra points where given for just the change...
Yes, edit your above post with a lot of random characters, save it, look at your points. Then, edit it again, removing those characters, it will still say you have earned, but you really have lost points.
rvec
why would you need to see your points/frih$ balance updated after every post?
It's handy to see it up there but +-4 points don't matter that much and most of the times you will go to some other page after you posted so it will be updated.
Arnie
The thing is it would put more load on the user's browser, because it'd have to execute this javascript all the time.
gerpg
All that has to be done is the query to the database is done before the request for the points, knowone needs any of their javascript, it will just slow load times...

Louis.
LukeakaDanish
Arnie wrote:
The thing is it would put more load on the user's browser, because it'd have to execute this javascript all the time.

Nah don't worry about that...it would be quite a simple JS script that wouldn't have any significant influence on the load...
tidruG
Eh... is it really such a big deal?
LukeakaDanish
Of course not Smile - it would still be cool though...Wink
Arnie
LukeakaDanish wrote:
Arnie wrote:

Nah don't worry about that...it would be quite a simple JS script that wouldn't have any significant influence on the load...
It would not on the load of the server. However it would on the load of the user's browser. JS is executed client-side, and you should see the lag on a moderate system with stuff that updates every second. Like those JS clocks. It's bad!
Manofgames
All that needs to happen is Bondings update the users variable for points in the script.
Currently, phpbb gets the users info, then viewtopic.php adds or subtracts points to the users db record, but doesnt update the user array.

Javascript is not needed for this.
Arnie
LukeakaDanish wrote:
I was referring to that and that would need JS, wouldn't it? Sorry if I wasn't clear.
tidruG
Arnie wrote:
LukeakaDanish wrote:
I was referring to that and that would need JS, wouldn't it? Sorry if I wasn't clear.

THAT, I think, is something that's not likely to happen. It's just too difficult to implement considering the fact that for certain things, points are not given, eg: quotes, etc.