FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Why dont people who like building websites like sport?

truespeed
I have been on here a while now,and have noticed that the sports section of this forum is hardly used,which makes me wonder if the kind of person who would want to build a website are the kind of peoplw who dont like sports.
sonam
I am not agree with you. I am sure people like sports but in most situation they haven't time for all things in their lifes. If someone working 7 hours daily and then few hours looking in computer then the time for sport is very less.

Sonam
reddishblue
That's crazy, this isn't a large website, so you can't really say that in general.

And anyway, I fail to see why it would be used, you can only talk about this years Ashes and the World Cup so many times, most events are yearly anyway.

Different sports are popular in different cultures, and I never had much interest about talking about sport, something it is meant to be played.

Also, I wouldn't suggest we don't like sport, rather that we don't like talking about sport, the way you say it suggests we are all fat computer nerds, don't stereotype us please, you have never met us.

But yeah, of course people who come and post on a site that gives free hosting is going to attract people who prefer computers to...anything else, furthermore, a lot of people on this site are in the IT industry, and they do long hours and simply believe that they don't have time for it.

Reddish
Arseniy
I'm fond of sports and I try to keep that forum alive in sports that I like, like bicycling (Tour de France), hockey, basketball, sometimes football. But I cannot handle all kinds of sports...
I want to make hockey website for NHL only... but I think, nhl.com is better than my site would be, so I'm out of ideas Sad
rightclickscott
I guess I could fill the forum with professional wrestling bulls***. Otherwise, the only sport I semi follow would be baseball. That's not to say that noone here pays any attention to sports. There is a wide variety of interests on this forum, and making a generalization like that is just plain dumb. After all, sports are generally local or national. The only sport that's really international is Soccer (football, futbal, whatever). I'm not a gigantic fan of Soccer, so I really can't say much about it.

I need some coffee right now, dammit.
ForceRun
I'm just not a big sports fan, and from the looks of it there aren't many sport fan on Frihost. I see frihost as more of a community of armature web developers, so I can't see sports and web development really that close together.

I watch a game here and there, mostly if a friend has it on when I'm hanging out. But I never really follow any teams or anything. I am pretty active playing basketball, paint ball, and messing around outside.
truespeed
reddishblue wrote:
And anyway, I fail to see why it would be used, you can only talk about this years Ashes and the World Cup so many times, most events are yearly anyway.

Someone who likes sport would see sport as an every day interest not an every four year (world cup) or every two years (ashes) interest.

reddishblue wrote:
Different sports are popular in different cultures, and I never had much interest about talking about sport, something it is meant to be played.

The fact that there are so many people on here from so many different parts of the world should mean that there should be more chat on sports of all different kinds not less.

reddishblue wrote:
That's crazy, this isn't a large website, so you can't really say that in general.

reddishblue wrote:
Also, I wouldn't suggest we don't like sport, rather that we don't like talking about sport, the way you say it suggests we are all fat computer nerds, don't stereotype us please, you have never met us.

I wasnt stereotyping,but in every stereotype there is an element of truth,i know a few people who build websites,and each and everyone hates sport with a passion,especially football. Of course there are exceptions (myself included and the few that post in the sports forum) .

reddishblue wrote:
But yeah, of course people who come and post on a site that gives free hosting is going to attract people who prefer computers to...anything else, furthermore, a lot of people on this site are in the IT industry, and they do long hours and simply believe that they don't have time for it. l.

Well your almost agreeing with my observation then,that people (in general) who are into building websites dont like sports.
tony
truespeed wrote:
I have been on here a while now,and have noticed that the sports section of this forum is hardly used,which makes me wonder if the kind of person who would want to build a website are the kind of peoplw who dont like sports.

i enjoy playing sports but not to chat, dont know what to say about that ! ha!

but ya, i like to play them. do you at all? if so, which one is it?
kerryworkman
truespeed wrote:

I certainly can't speak for everyone, but most of the webdesigners I am friends with are nerds and artists (including myself both: artist and nerd). Most of them spent more time avoiding sports and jocks in general throughout school. With a history of being picked on by athaletes I find it hard to root for one in any sport. With the excepting of boxing and mixed martial arts, because no matter who wins I get to watch some jocks beat on each other up for a change. Smile
snowboardalliance
I'm not really into most sports that I don't play. Since I don't play them, watching is less exciting. I am really into snowboarding and I like to play golf, but I don't keep up with the professionals in either nor do I watch them much on TV and I rarely talk about it on the forums.
vonboy
well i don't realy play any sports, and the only thing i do thats kind of a sport is marching band. i'm more into vedeogames and computers.

i think why most people who play sports aren't into web design is because they would rather be outside playing then being inside all the time on the computer or watching tv. they probably just find that kind of stuff boring.
saratdear
I have to say I partly agree. I do love building websites, and I also like playing VolleyBall, my favourite sport. But right now, I am getting confused whether I play that due to the love of the game or because I don't want people to think of me as a "nerd". I absolutely hate people who look down on people who may spend more time on the computer than playing sports.

It is a choice, really. People may like to spend time on the computer than getting outside. People may like stretching and playing sports than sitting on the computer all day. But I say that we need both of them. You don't want to just spend just playing sports or just working on the computer. Both of them (may be) bad for you.

Would playing sports count towards socializing?
truespeed
The original question wasn't about playing sports as such,more about having an interest in sports,watching,reading talking about etc.
imagefree
i am a student of Chartered Accountancy and having a deep interest in Web Designing. I have to control both of these in a well manner, so i have no time to make participation in Sports section.

BTW i am a big fan on Cricket and also like Footbal and Hockey and few other olympics games.
imagefree
i am a student of Chartered Accountancy and having a deep interest in Web Designing. I have to control both of these in a well manner, so i have no time to make participation in Sports section.

BTW i am a big fan on Cricket and also like Footbal and Hockey and few other olympics games Specially Gymnastic.
eday2010
I don't agree with that. I like building websites but also love sports. Maybe the people you know are just terribly geeky and need a life.
bigdan
eday2010 wrote:
I don't agree with that. I like building websites but also love sports. Maybe the people you know are just terribly geeky and need a life.

I'll second that. I create websites, but I also play (field) hockey and darts, used to play basketball (in high school and uni, nothing too serious) and I watch a fair bit of sport. I love both. Very Happy

But hey, different horses for different courses, right? Wink
Seiorai
I'd say, because first, building a website needs solid CSS/coding/GFX knowledge.
To get those, you need to spend a lot of time with computers.
To spend a lot of time with computers...you obviously are left with little time for anything else, including Sports XD

Anyway, some of us may do web design and also like sports, but it's a difference between liking something and doing it every time you can, and doing it as a full-time activity/etc..
Idoru
I do not belive this is specific for the sports-forum. I am a bit (or trying to be Wink ) active in the animals-
forum, but it is not nearlly the same response as here, in the general. So perhaps your conclution is a bit jumped?
Take an example from some of the sport-clubs around the world and their home-pages. Sure, many of them are made
by companies, but still, it is a priority for them to be well marketed in the Internet.

Well, as an end to this post, a bit more thought through then the one it is responding to, you propablly just
wanted to put the spotlight to "your" forum. A better way of doing that is simply to post more there. Wink
Trust peoples ability to read what interests them and answer accordingly. For one thing I am certain about -
Frihost is loaded with web-active sharp minds and a vareity of interests.
gerpg
I'm a sporty person, I snowboard, mountain bike, i do all sorts of stuff (mainly adrenaline seeking, lol)

I just don't see the point in posting in a sports forum on a web-development forum lol, it just kinda doesn't make sense when most sports are team orientated so why not discuss it with the team then come home and discuss you website with the viewers Very Happy

Louis.
paul_indo
I love building websites and sports.

I am a surfer and motorcycle racer and like swimming.
Getsuga
I wouldn't tottaly agree with that statement since I know alot of people who own a domain and like sport's, also they post sports on their forums or their homepage. So i think that's not fully true.
DesertRatAirsoftTeam
Im not all that big of a sports fan, the only thing I really do is Airsoft and computer (Computer can be a sport to you know!)

It might be cool to see more sports stuff in the sports section.... Mabye I would get into them more...
unknownc1c
LOL I'm going to have to say i don't agree with you. I make websites, i enjoy programming and designing things especially games, but i also enjoy some sports. I play with my friends every once in a while sports like basketball, football, volleyball, etc. I like watching football even though i don't know all the players names. Infact i only know a handful of players names and only with the steelers cause that's our football team here.

Ok yes, I'm not a HUGE sports fan, but i do like watching football games.

EDIT: Oh yeah and i play paintball and airsoft, mainly airsoft
[FuN]goku
mhhh...... i like sports but i just dont like watching it on tv or reading about it... its too bloody boring... i like to either play it or watch a live game..
b4r4t
I can't agree with You ... I like to build websites ... from design (photoshop) , skeleton (xHTML and CSS) to code (PHP...) ...

But this doesn't stop me to practice Capoeira (this is sport ... )
I like to play basketball and some football (for USA - soccer)

As You can se ... there are ppl who have their lives outside the PC too Smile I am one of them Smile
ashish2005
Like most of the people replying to this topic I too do not agree that people who make websites do not like sports. I make website. I have not made a lot of popular sites but I have given my time for a few websites of mine. So you can call me a website builder. I am not a sports geek but I do watch the world cup and I love to hear the results of soccer matches. I play basketball and table tennis in my college and I have even taken part in the college tournaments (never got closer to winning though). So you see that people who create websites are not just computer/internet addicts but they can also be involved in sports.

The sports discussion forum over here at frihost might not be that popular as the other forums but it does not tell that the people who create websites hate sports. It just tells that the people of frihost like to talk about sports less than other things.
DownUnder
I am a huge fan of sport, yet enjoy building websites. I support the National Rugby League (www.nrl.com) which is a huge sport in Australia. I also play tennis. So my answer to your question is no, it is all a personal decision. But I am certain that a lot of people on this website enjoy sport.
Liu
Easy because everyone here is a skinny wimpy geek.

Haven't yah noticed? All people who like to make websites or do anything with computers suck at sports.
b4r4t
Liu wrote:

Haven't yah noticed? All people who like to make websites or do anything with computers suck at sports.

Look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaykRUpGIeU

You can see here ppl who like to make websites, can write in PHP and use computers ... Smile
Are they suck at sport ? Razz
If Yes... than I'm glad that I suck in that way too (my group)
Liu
b4r4t wrote:

Look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaykRUpGIeU

You can see here ppl who like to make websites, can write in PHP and use computers ... Smile
Are they suck at sport ? Razz
If Yes... than I'm glad that I suck in that way too (my group)

You missed my sarcasm and the point I was trying to make about generalizations.