FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

K-Pop Anyone?

applejunk
I was browsing around the music section and I noticed there's little (if any) publicity done for K-Pop. Most of the threads in here are reserved for American music and J-Rock. So if any of you haven't listened or experienced it yet, now is the time to! Haha, K-Pop is my favorite so I tend to get a little excited when it comes to talking about it ^^

The good thing about K-Pop is that:
1-It offers A LOT of variety, rap, hip hop, ballads, etc etc
2-It's clean! For those who don't understand korean, all you have to do is listen to the music and the beats and make sure it sounds good =]
3-Even if you do understand korean, most if not all of the songs are never about sex, drugs, womanizing, etc etc so even better Very Happy I don't want to give you guys the wrong ideas, its not pansy music haha.

I'll list a couple of singers on here so the braver ones among you can discover it for yourselves ^^

-Shinhwa
-Kang Ta
-FlyToTheSky
-Taebin
-Boa
-Hyori
-1Time
-SeoTaiji
-Se7en
-Kiss

These are just a few, there are a lot more, but for those of you who are interested feel free to reply or pm me for songs xD
Seiji
Seo Taiji is my favorite kpop artist. Also my site is dedicated to him and Moon Hee Jun : http://taijijuny.frih.net

I'm into Se7en of course and Shim Eun Jin. Also just got through listening to Minwoo new album Explore which is really good. I also like a lot of old school kpop like Deux and Taiji Boys.
ddukki
K-Pop is really the only "Pop" music I'll listen to. Fly to the Sky was awesome, I agree, but my favorite I have to say was Brown Eyes before they broke up. I still listen to Brown Eyed Soul and Na Eul, but it's not the same. I also just got Lee-Sang's new CD and Dynamic Duo. Awesome music (even though Dynamic Duo goes by Double D ... xD). Nothing's as good as the music in your native tongue!
applejunk
Hm...I actually have not heard any of Moon Hee Jun's songs. After H.O.T disbanded, I kind of lost interest in them. I recall 3 of them making their own band, and Moon Hee Jun and Kang Ta going solo but I never kept track. Seo Taiji is the best =] I know a lot of koreans call him the Father of Korean Music hahaha, but I don't now much about that. I only know I like his songs xD

Ddukki you're so lucky you speak korean! xD I'm half but I speak mandarin more fluently than I do korean hahaha, although I'm learning ^^ And yeah Brown Eyes is good, but I don't think a lot of the newer generation knows them do they? They arn't as heavily publicized. I don't really understand the craze over DBSK, I don't like them that much, and that new group Super Junior or whatever is just a joke ><
Seiji
The Korean boybands are getting out of control. I don't really care for DBSK but I will probably end up downloading all of there solo albums when they are released. Just like when H.O.T disbanded....I didn't care for H.O.T because of the boyband image but the solo albums were good. Super Junior is just a project from what I heard. Heard one of there singles and...... Laughing

Seo Taiji sort of made way for pop in Korea thats why he is so famous. Reason why people criticize Moon Hee Jun so much is because he went from pop idol.....to rock musician. Seo Taiji went from rock..to hiphop..back to rock. There both awesome though and Seo Taiji new album will be out in December or somewhere close to that and I think Moon Hee Jun gets out the army in November.
Guelila
haha im not really a fan of Seo Taiji, but im a big fan of Seven.
I love most of his songs, especially Girl Friend from his Sevolution album! Pretty cool actually, and the beat is cool. Very Happy

But my favorite groups are SGWannabe, MtoM, and I still love g.o.d. songs.
I used to be a huge fan of Boa a few years ago, back when her music was a mystical and dreamy-like, (If you know what I mean..) like Atlantis Princess and Milky Way.
Seiji
^Girlfriend is the only song I don't like on the Se7eolution album. The rest the tracks are pretty good most of his songs are good.

I've been listening to a lot of Rain lately. Really liking "Touch Ya" from his 4th album. I also didn't want to say this but DBSK - All in Vain is a really good song.
Guelila
Just a random question Seiji, but are you korean?
Im korean and I was just curius.. Embarassed Razz

any other Koreans here?
applejunk
I'm half =P

Boa's kinda gone downhill...you don't hear about her a lot lately, or not as much as we used to back when she was really really popular. DBSK is like a girls band, they look like girls anyways, so what's the difference lol. My friend said that all the girls in Korea are crazy about them. "oppa muh shi ssuh!!" hahaha. Has anyone heard about Big Bang? I heard G-Dragon used to be part of a band called T.O.P.? but I've honestly never heard of them. The only song I've heard from Big Bang is This Love, where the instrumentals came from Maroon 5's hit. It's not bad if rap is your thing. Rain is too soft for me, the only song I like of his is I'm Coming, I prefer se7en's style of music better.
Chelissamow
Ooh, I like SE7EN, Hyori Lee, and the TRAX. I haven't really listened to very much Korean music lately. I'll give them more of a try though.
ExBuM
Rain is also too soft for me too xD

BoA is still pretty popular but she's only released Japanese singles and albums for a while.
ddukki
applejunk wrote:
Hm...I actually have not heard any of Moon Hee Jun's songs. After H.O.T disbanded, I kind of lost interest in them. I recall 3 of them making their own band, and Moon Hee Jun and Kang Ta going solo but I never kept track. Seo Taiji is the best =] I know a lot of koreans call him the Father of Korean Music hahaha, but I don't now much about that. I only know I like his songs xD

Ddukki you're so lucky you speak korean! xD I'm half but I speak mandarin more fluently than I do korean hahaha, although I'm learning ^^ And yeah Brown Eyes is good, but I don't think a lot of the newer generation knows them do they? They arn't as heavily publicized. I don't really understand the craze over DBSK, I don't like them that much, and that new group Super Junior or whatever is just a joke ><
Super Junior's just a grouping of thirteen or so prepubescent kids that scream with voices so high that it sounds like they're singing. But yeah, Seo Taji and Koyote are definitely the fathers of korean pop. I never really got into HOT since my sister and her friends were so obsessed with them. Now, but Brown Eyes I loved, since no one really knew them, and I followed them up to Na Eul's Solo Album.

I really don't like what's happening with music nowadays in Korea and in the US. A little too much "popular" culture going around. Some of it's good, but then they ruin it by mainstreaming it. The only recent K-Pop artists I like are the ones that've been around for a while. But SG Wannabe is sort of a guilty pleasure. They sound different from everyone and that's what's good about them.
emjawa
I know very little of K-pop apart from Happy Birthday - Bulldog Mansion which is a pretty hilarious song and super mood-lifting. Smile
missdixy
I had a friend who was a korean exchange student an he used to burn me CDs with tons of K-pop but I don't know where I left them. I listened to them a lot at first, then stopped, but now I sort of miss k-pop after reading this thread haha.
Seiji
Guelila wrote:
Just a random question Seiji, but are you korean?
Im korean and I was just curius.. Embarassed Razz

any other Koreans here?

I'm half Korean and half Japanese but I mainly listen and watch Korean stuff.

Applejunk, isn't T.O.P a member of BigBang Laughing I remember G-Dragon was in a group called GDYB, I remember them in some of the YG Ent. songs.

ddukki, I sort of think that SGWannabe sounds like every other singer who has a song for OST. Every time I'm watching a drama I wonder if its a SGWannabe song there playing. But I have a lot of respect for them. There really popular and will probably always be popular since they have powerful voices. I'm not really into the group they invested so much in......SeeYa but maybe I will be soon when they find there image.
applejunk
oh yeah!!! i have a couple of BigBang songs Very Happy they remind me of a mini 1tym haha, but they're still pretty good nonetheless. lots of talent in kids so young =)
ddukki
emjawa wrote:
I know very little of K-pop apart from Happy Birthday - Bulldog Mansion which is a pretty hilarious song and super mood-lifting. Smile
I heard this song on a Newgrounds Flash Cartoon called "There She Is!!!". Fell in love with the cartoon and the song just made it cooler. I can't remember if it was the first or second one, though ...

Seiji wrote:
ddukki, I sort of think that SGWannabe sounds like every other singer who has a song for OST. Every time I'm watching a drama I wonder if its a SGWannabe song there playing. But I have a lot of respect for them. There really popular and will probably always be popular since they have powerful voices. I'm not really into the group they invested so much in......SeeYa but maybe I will be soon when they find there image.
Tehe, yeah. I said "guilty" pleasure, didn't I? Reminds me of better days. Park HyoShin is pretty good, too, except when he tries to sing in English ... doesn't work at all xD

1TYM! I bought their 2nd Album back in 2000 and it's still one of my favorites, but their 4th is still better than all of them.

I feel like such a Korean FOB; even though I've barely ever been there.

Lee Ssang and Brown Eyed Girls are also cool R&B / Hip Hop groups if you have the chance to ... um ... listen online, if you catch my meaning. Lee Ssang's like 1TYM and Dynamic Duo, but Brown Eyed Girls more like a better version of SES or Baby Vox.
crimson_aria
I used to be an avid Kpop fan. well, I still like Kpop up unti now but.. I must admit not as much as before anymore.

My Kpop fandom lies before the DBSK era. no, don't get me wrong. I LOVE DBSK. but I can't get back to how I used to really like Kpop..

though I'm not into Kpop at the moment, I still like it and listen to the songs of my favorites

some of the artists I really liked and still like are (including defunct groups and those who went solo out of these groups) H.O.T., g.o.d., Click B, S.E.S, NRG, JTL, Shinhwa, Fin K.L., Baby V.O.X., Jang Nara, Lee Soo Young, BoA, UN, Rain, Se7en, S, Cherry Filter, Koyote, Fly to the Sky, and DBSK.

these are all I can remember at the moment.
fantastic
Yo! I started listenning to K-Pop for about 7 years. I like various artists and bands but most of all is Baby VOX, Koyote.. I also like J-Pop and C-Pop
mawfia
It would be very difficult for me to listen to music, when I do not understand the words. Especially since what is being said drives my interest in a song. If they ever played K-pop at at a bar or club that would be a differenty story, since in that enviornment music is only important in its entertainment value.
applejunk
I don't think you have to understand the words in a song to enjoy the song itself. I listen to all sorts of music like Indian, Korean, Japanese, just because i like the music and the beats. Honestly, I don't think half the people who listen to rap really know what the hell is going on in those lyrics either.

There she is was really popular on Newgrounds for awhile. I remember I watched it too and thinking omg so cutee!! There is a sequel to it, I forgot what it's called but it's under the same artist if you want to check it out. It's just as cute as the first one =]
soldeinvierno
no os entiendo nada chicos...podiais hablar en espagnol, joe... lo q hay q hacer por el grupo...jajajaja
crimson_aria
applejunk wrote:
I don't think you have to understand the words in a song to enjoy the song itself. I listen to all sorts of music like Indian, Korean, Japanese, just because i like the music and the beats. Honestly, I don't think half the people who listen to rap really know what the hell is going on in those lyrics either.

I definitely agree with you. Of course knowing the lyrics is a big factor, but it's not the only one. I had zero knowledge about Japanese and Korean language when I began getting hooked with their music. But I loved it anyway. Besides, if you're looking for lyrics, translations aren't that hard to find. It's anywhere in the Internet.

Hopefully, those that have problems with the music having a different language will try to like them. ^__^
Guelila
Does anyone know Yoon Do Hyun?
I have to say, some of his songs are really great.
The lyrics are somewhat similar to those of SGWannaBe songs, except its about life, and not about love.
Pretty good guitar solos aswell.
He is like, The Korean Rock artist nowadays..
Seiji
Ah, I know Yoon Do Hyun, I don't care for there music. I remember his band recently released an album not too long ago. I watch Yoon's Love Letter though since he has a lot of different singers on there. Not really into his type of rock music though, but I do like Kim Kyung Ho there kind of similiar its just that Kim Kyung Ho has that high pitched voice.
chastise
I-13, Se7en, Jang Woo Hyuk, DBSK

guess that's the majority of what i actually like
ariannefaye
I like rain
Smile

and dbsk Smile lolx ..
kiran_n444
Lol? K POP?? I have no idea. Songs good from what I hear. Time for P2P
poly
lol never heard of neither.. from Korea?
applejunk
haha yeah, from Korea. I heard Big Bang is actually the most popular right now, but I wouldn't doubt it since I've listened to a lot of their songs and I really like them a lot. Poor Se7en hahaha.