FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

centos is a nightmare for me

turbowolf
I just bought a Virtual dedicated host from godaddy.com. It offers centos 4.5 or Fedora 6. In order to get more robust, I choose centos 4.5. In the following week, I find that it's a nightmare for me. centos 4.5, like its brother, RHEL 4.5, has a lot of out-of-date softwares. I spent a lot of time to install a new version of apache httpd, mod_perl, mod_python, mysql, postgresql, php, subversion. Sometimes from source, sometimes from srpm. It's really a nightware for a new user of centos, especially for the ones like me who come from Debian/Ubuntu world. In Debian/Ubuntu, it's easy for me to upgrade a software, even to upgrade to new version of the operating system itself. But this is impossible for centos/RHEL.
{name here}
That is because it is an operating system which isn't meant to be up to date. It's meant to be stable, and run for long periods of time. Many corporate servers don't require upgrades and are running quite old software - even UNIX on a VAX because it doesn't require anything new to get the job done. This is what operating systems like CentOS are supposed to do. You're not used to it because all it seems you've had experience with were desktops. Some servers are still running Debian Woody because it works and it works well for what the intended purpose is.
turbowolf
I know that stable is most important for a server. But I think it's not a bad idea to give a customer one more choice. Yeah, I know that a lot of people are still using Debian Woody, but they can easily upgrade their system to Debian etch. In CentOS/RHEL, this is impossible. It's a pain for even a skilled user upgrade from CentOS 4.4 to CentOS 5.0. And it's almost impossible to upgrade from CentOS 4.5 to CentOS 5.0 even with the help of yum. Which is somewhat unacceptable.

{name here} wrote:
That is because it is an operating system which isn't meant to be up to date. It's meant to be stable, and run for long periods of time. Many corporate servers don't require upgrades and are running quite old software - even UNIX on a VAX because it doesn't require anything new to get the job done. This is what operating systems like CentOS are supposed to do. You're not used to it because all it seems you've had experience with were desktops. Some servers are still running Debian Woody because it works and it works well for what the intended purpose is.