FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Would you hire me if you were a business owner? IT job.

coreymanshack
I have no college, I'm a minor, and I am not yet out of high school. I know C++, Java 2, PHP, Javascript, Mysql, XHTML, XML, DHTML, CSS. I help the tech guys at school fix computers when something goes wrong, and I know alot about networking. I also build my own custom pc's, when I feel it is outdated I sell it for a profit.

If you were a business owner would you hire me? What job at what salary? Questions/Comments?
RiCtee
Quote:
I know C++, Java 2, PHP, Javascript, Mysql, XHTML, XML, DHTML, CSS.

That would make a very impressive resume. But since you're still studying in high school there might be some hesitation for a running business to employ you. They won't take the risk of having an "unprofessional" or someone who is considered "inexperienced". But then again it depends how much knowledge and expertise you have in the areas. You could probably try to get a job as a programmer or a web developer.
coreymanshack
RiCtee wrote:
Quote:
I know C++, Java 2, PHP, Javascript, Mysql, XHTML, XML, DHTML, CSS.

That would make a very impressive resume. But since you're still studying in high school there might be some hesitation for a running business to employ you. They won't take the risk of having an "unprofessional" or someone who is considered "inexperienced". But then again it depends how much knowledge and expertise you have in the areas. You could probably try to get a job as a programmer or a web developer.

Well, I started 4 years ago. Wouldn't say I'm inexperienced.
Manus et Therion
coreymanshack wrote:
I have no college, I'm a minor, and I am not yet out of high school. I know C++, Java 2, PHP, Javascript, Mysql, XHTML, XML, DHTML, CSS. I help the tech guys at school fix computers when something goes wrong, and I know alot about networking. I also build my own custom pc's, when I feel it is outdated I sell it for a profit.

If you were a business owner would you hire me? What job at what salary? Questions/Comments?

I used to work for a large multi-national marketting corporation. The lead IT guy in the midwest for this company started out there as a teen (17) in the IT department laying wires, repairing conflicts on new set-ups, and general trouble shooting. Yes - it is possible. Probable? I'd recommend enrolling for various certification courses at your local community college. Yes - you probably know all the stuff - but company's don't know you also know how to get a job done. That's what counts.
gscs
hi!
since you know C++, Java 2, PHP, Javascript, Mysql, XHTML, XML, DHTML, CSS. that's great!
you can start up your own business, try to start with minimal cost, like from home or rent a cheap place.

you can start looking for project from your local company, since you start with minimal cost, definately you can offer a lower price for your client. people offer $100 for a project, you can offer $50 for them. the only thing is the first impression. if you can get the first job done, most likely you will get the second, third project soon..

you can build your own website yourself, since you have all thiese knowledge. using website and blog together to promote your business, proivide your own service or from others advertisers, can let your earn some commission too!

if i would start a business, most probably i would get into IT industri, course i am not from this field.
i will hire you for my website design! Razz
coreymanshack
gscs wrote:
hi!
since you know C++, Java 2, PHP, Javascript, Mysql, XHTML, XML, DHTML, CSS. that's great!
you can start up your own business, try to start with minimal cost, like from home or rent a cheap place.

you can start looking for project from your local company, since you start with minimal cost, definately you can offer a lower price for your client. people offer $100 for a project, you can offer $50 for them. the only thing is the first impression. if you can get the first job done, most likely you will get the second, third project soon..

you can build your own website yourself, since you have all thiese knowledge. using website and blog together to promote your business, proivide your own service or from others advertisers, can let your earn some commission too!

if i would start a business, most probably i would get into IT industri, course i am not from this field.
i will hire you for my website design! Razz

Sweet. My computer parts should be in by the end of the week. I'm on a friend's computer posting atm. Although before I sold my old computer I started up this site.... http://www.xsquareddev.net/ as you can see in my sig. Although I never actually put any info on it. If you are truly interested in hiring me for your website design pm me.

Manus et Therion wrote:
I used to work for a large multi-national marketting corporation. The lead IT guy in the midwest for this company started out there as a teen (17) in the IT department laying wires, repairing conflicts on new set-ups, and general trouble shooting. Yes - it is possible. Probable? I'd recommend enrolling for various certification courses at your local community college. Yes - you probably know all the stuff - but company's don't know you also know how to get a job done. That's what counts.

I know many people that graduate from college and would not know anything about "getting a job done" College doesn't mean you know how to work already, it just means that someone can vouche for you, that you know how to do etc.
gscs
hi! is me gscs,
i am not running a web business, i am running a f&b business. i sell a local breakfast in a restaurant.
i definately will recommand to you if someone want to design a website. i believe that you can offer a competitive price

i have no website knowledge, i guess i am not from this field!
keep it out! you 'll be success! Razz
KronikSindrome
I dunno about IT places but I'd hire you to fix my computer when I f*ck it up...? heh

Most places in general like to see some form of education in the feild,
if not verifyable experience. Being under age doesn't help much either...
but the good news is if you start now you can work in the right direction,
so that in a few years you can be where ya want to.....maybe some
classes, or start documenting your experience, maybe charge and
people you help and get reciepts along with statements regaurding your work...

anyhow...good luck to ya Very Happy
gscs
your sound like not from IT feild, same with me. i like management.
if we can start something which you're interesting in, you should give you a try.
at least you have time to do it, perhaps whatever you study now not really related to your future job.
working in IT feild is cool, just like our friend coreymanshack ! he can design webpage, any kind of webpage he want.

if you know someone would like to pay for design webpage , pm corey here! Razz
coreymanshack
Hehe thx guys. O and Kronik Sindrome, I'll "fix your computer" next time I come over.
gscs
Hi ! bro ,
I have a forum friend want to make a website , this is the example he want .
ezyrewards.com

The new website will look like that , maybe changes on logo and icon .
Just try to use your own design .

Can it be done , pm me if you have any question .
Thank you !
coreymanshack
gscs wrote:
Hi ! bro ,
I have a forum friend want to make a website , this is the example he want .
ezyrewards.com

The new website will look like that , maybe changes on logo and icon .
Just try to use your own design .

Can it be done , pm me if you have any question .
Thank you !

Pretty sure it can be done.
ktak1
I think the best course of action for you would be to act as an independent contractor and work on a project by project basis until you develop a portfolio strong enough to warrant getting credibility. Whenever I hire new employees for my company I'm constantly disappointed to find that most people say they can do a great deal more than they really can. They list things on their resume that they truly have only had passing knowledge of. If you already have an impressive portfolio, show it off! It's so much more powerful than a bogus resume full of abilities that no one really knows if you truly possess or not.

With your young age, a real company most likely would not hire a minor, unless you were exceptional. That's why it would be best to do your own independent work until you have a portfolio demonstrating your brilliance for people to want to hire your talents.

The proof is in the pudding. If you can demonstrate true ability, getting corporate recognition would be no big deal.
coreymanshack
ktak1 wrote:
I think the best course of action for you would be to act as an independent contractor and work on a project by project basis until you develop a portfolio strong enough to warrant getting credibility. Whenever I hire new employees for my company I'm constantly disappointed to find that most people say they can do a great deal more than they really can. They list things on their resume that they truly have only had passing knowledge of. If you already have an impressive portfolio, show it off! It's so much more powerful than a bogus resume full of abilities that no one really knows if you truly possess or not.

With your young age, a real company most likely would not hire a minor, unless you were exceptional. That's why it would be best to do your own independent work until you have a portfolio demonstrating your brilliance for people to want to hire your talents.

The proof is in the pudding. If you can demonstrate true ability, getting corporate recognition would be no big deal.

Yea i started my site xsquareddev.net to get my portfolio in working condition. I'm not yet finished with it though Very Happy
Liu
Do you have any experience in jobs with coding particular?

If not, I wouldn't hire you for coding if I was a company.

Many people can write code, but not many can write GOOD code. One of the most important aspects of coding is maintenance. Most people that I've met who are your age that are coders aren't exactly that great, especially without college to teach you the theory and enforcement of good coding practices.

For IT support like basic computer repair? Yeah most likely after a trial run. Roughly $10 / hour also.
riv_
I would want to see some professional experience and/or certification. Not because I doubted your ability to code, but because I would want to see that you are teachable.
you can be the best coder in the universe, but if you think you know it all you won;t be any help to your employer.
It's sometimes worthwhile getting the piece of paper or working on building your resume/portfolio, just to show that you're willing and able to work under someone else as part of a team, and able to learn to adjust your style to match that of the company you're with.
Showing you have the right attitude is sometimes more important than having the right skills.
Sounds like you're off to a pretty good start already! Smile
Dean_The_Great
If you can truly do all that you say you can do, then I know you'll do wonderfully. However until you have something you can show, you're toast.

coreymanshack wrote:

Experience has little to do with time and much more to do with result. This is a good thing for you, because you are a minor. People may want to discredit you based on age. However if you have work to show then they cannot deny your ability.

Next, as a comment on your site, it's a little difficult to navigate. The idea has is that it has to be IDIOT PROOF. You should assume that you're dealing with people who know next to nothing about the internet. Because that's your lowest common denominator of client. They should be able to read and navigate seamlessly, without having to search for the "contact link" which is tiny and in the corner.

Also, for the time being I would remove the "since August 2007" part of your tagline... It just brings attention to the fact that you're new. You want people to think that you've been doing it forever and this is simply your latest project. Which, if your resume holds up, people will not have a problem believing.

Also, there is much to be said for formal education; especially if you choose your institution correctly. There are many contacts to be made by interacting with those in the field. Talk to the IT guys you assist at school and inquire as to apprenticeships or co-ops. You may have to volunteer to start, but the contacts and the "in" will be indispensable.

Finally, and I can't stress this enough, DO NOT WAIT FOR WORK TO COME TO YOU! Seek it out. If you make a killer website and then just sit and wait for the emails to come pouring in, I'm afraid you'll be waiting a while. Approach organizations and businesses and recommend your services and how they can help their company. A good way to start is to do work at cost for a charity or other non-profit organization. People will want to help you if you help others. The concept is symbiosis. The charity group gets a website for little cost, and you get a useful impressive addition to your portfolio. Win-win.

That's all the information I have for you now, hope it helps. Just remember this one thing: You must work hard to get work. Then once word of mouth travels and referrals start pouring in, you're golden. But you MUST WORK AT GETTING WORK! As an independent worker, it's all you've got.
coreymanshack
Dean_The_Great wrote:
If you can truly do all that you say you can do, then I know you'll do wonderfully. However until you have something you can show, you're toast.

coreymanshack wrote:

Experience has little to do with time and much more to do with result. This is a good thing for you, because you are a minor. People may want to discredit you based on age. However if you have work to show then they cannot deny your ability.

Next, as a comment on your site, it's a little difficult to navigate. The idea has is that it has to be IDIOT PROOF. You should assume that you're dealing with people who know next to nothing about the internet. Because that's your lowest common denominator of client. They should be able to read and navigate seamlessly, without having to search for the "contact link" which is tiny and in the corner.

Also, for the time being I would remove the "since August 2007" part of your tagline... It just brings attention to the fact that you're new. You want people to think that you've been doing it forever and this is simply your latest project. Which, if your resume holds up, people will not have a problem believing.

Also, there is much to be said for formal education; especially if you choose your institution correctly. There are many contacts to be made by interacting with those in the field. Talk to the IT guys you assist at school and inquire as to apprenticeships or co-ops. You may have to volunteer to start, but the contacts and the "in" will be indispensable.

Finally, and I can't stress this enough, DO NOT WAIT FOR WORK TO COME TO YOU! Seek it out. If you make a killer website and then just sit and wait for the emails to come pouring in, I'm afraid you'll be waiting a while. Approach organizations and businesses and recommend your services and how they can help their company. A good way to start is to do work at cost for a charity or other non-profit organization. People will want to help you if you help others. The concept is symbiosis. The charity group gets a website for little cost, and you get a useful impressive addition to your portfolio. Win-win.

That's all the information I have for you now, hope it helps. Just remember this one thing: You must work hard to get work. Then once word of mouth travels and referrals start pouring in, you're golden. But you MUST WORK AT GETTING WORK! As an independent worker, it's all you've got.

Thank you very much.
Mrs Lycos
Well I think you have enough skills to go and work on your own, and not look to work for somebody else as an employee. So if you're starting your own website, in a short time you can even have your own development company yourself! There are many forums and sites around (you can check the one in my sig) where webmasters go and ask for a quote, and people just like you give them their quote and they choose the best in terms of ability (and costs). As it is done through the web, they really don't care how old you are, but how well you can do what they need. In any case, it should be a good place to start building your portfolio.
coreymanshack
Mrs Lycos wrote:
Well I think you have enough skills to go and work on your own, and not look to work for somebody else as an employee. So if you're starting your own website, in a short time you can even have your own development company yourself! There are many forums and sites around (you can check the one in my sig) where webmasters go and ask for a quote, and people just like you give them their quote and they choose the best in terms of ability (and costs). As it is done through the web, they really don't care how old you are, but how well you can do what they need. In any case, it should be a good place to start building your portfolio.

i posted dirt cheap on tons of jobs in an incredible time span, i never got any job acceptance notices.

scriptlance.com i beleive.
Dimaod
There are quite a few freelancer websites, where people post jobs they need to get done for their websites, as well as their budget.
Programmers are then looking through these requests and can post their offer and qualifications.
A good example is scriptlance.com, pretty big site, with LOTS of projects.

Best of luck.
coreymanshack
Dimaod wrote:
There are quite a few freelancer websites, where people post jobs they need to get done for their websites, as well as their budget.
Programmers are then looking through these requests and can post their offer and qualifications.
A good example is scriptlance.com, pretty big site, with LOTS of projects.

Best of luck.

i love how people read the first post and reply! right above this post states that I went to scriptlance.com with no avail to any project notifications.
bangala
coreymanshack wrote:

Yes I would, after testing you. The salary would depend on your performance. I think you could be a good IT technician. Also I might invest in developing your career and assisting you to get a degree.
Your site looks ok but I think you need to amend the fonts and colors and add a professional look to it. Good luck!
kicy
If you ever go on a interview always look professional especially since your a minor, if they find one thing you don't take seriously they will probably assume you won't take the job seriously too. Previous experience from any job and a good recommendation should be a big +. Also, Volunteer work is sometimes considered a plus since it tells a little about your self. This can be applied to any job.
coreymanshack
kicy wrote:
If you ever go on a interview always look professional especially since your a minor, if they find one thing you don't take seriously they will probably assume you won't take the job seriously too. Previous experience from any job and a good recommendation should be a big +. Also, Volunteer work is sometimes considered a plus since it tells a little about your self. This can be applied to any job.

I tried doing volunteer work one time, then they found out i was a minor and they took me off the job. I hate age discrimination.