FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

AIM vs Pidgin vs Miranda IM

Which in the best?
AIM
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
Pidgin
60%
 60%  [ 9 ]
Miranda IM
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 15

Magicman
I know the main features of all of them, I've seen a few comparison charts but I would like some input from your experience using any or all three of these. I have used AIM for a while and I would now like to switch to a free client that can use the AIM server but without the ads and unnecessary memory use. I've looked the other two over and tried to get a feel for which I like best but I would like to know what the opinions of those who have more experience with Pidgin and/or Miranda IM.
coreymanshack
Magicman wrote:
I know the main features of all of them, I've seen a few comparison charts but I would like some input from your experience using any or all three of these. I have used AIM for a while and I would now like to switch to a free client that can use the AIM server but without the ads and unnecessary memory use. I've looked the other two over and tried to get a feel for which I like best but I would like to know what the opinions of those who have more experience with Pidgin and/or Miranda IM.

I have lots of expeirience with pidgin. I used it before it was called pidgin. It used to be called GAIM, before some lawsuit was filed against them for some reason on that name. I've never actually used minranda.

As you may know Pidgin is a multi client messenger. I feel that it uses less memory than any one of the name brand yahoo/msn/aim messengers and it has no ads. The only setback it sometimes the file transfers mess up between protocools. Also there is not a webcam feature. If you want to keep the webcam feature I would suggest sticking with aim.

What I did on my old pc is I installed yahoo/msn/aim/pidgin, I had pidgin auto start with the machine. If I wanted to use the webcam on a certain protocool I opened up the specific messenger for that and closed it out when I was done with the webcam.

Hope I helped out a little bit.
Magicman
Thanks, corymanshack, for the reply. I've figured out by now that Pidgin does use much less memory than AIM and I rarely use file transfer and never use webcam. Does anyone else have any opinions on any of these three instant messaging clients?
Talk2Tom11
just purchase Trillian and be done with it. Trillian if everything I would want in an im application and more.
Patriot Players
Where can I get pidgin? I have recently been very bothered by the fact that AIM is a bit of a memory hog. Would enjoy something that let me IM without killing my performance doing other things.
brianfast
Man I love GAIM or Pidgin. I must admit it is kind of lame to be missing some messaging protocals but getting away from the add infested AIM is worth it. (AIM doesn't support others anyway) I just use aMSN for MSN which is all GAIM lacks. I say GAIM because it is included in my linux distros repositories, for now. But Pidgin works very well. I have never tried Miranda IM
qscomputing
brianfast: not sure which version of Gaim/Pidgin you are using, but MSN has been supported for a long time now.

Gaim/Pidgin is an excellent IM client and works well for almost all purposes (except file transfers, but who would seriously transfer a file through an IM protocol?). I highly recommend it.
snowboardalliance
I've wanted to switch out of AIM to GAIM, but last time I tried, GAIM was really slow to load my buddy list. Also, it seems that a lot of features don't work correctly over the AIM network. (I use file transfers occasionally). Right now I'm using aimadhack, but are there any better options to get all the AIM features in a lighter program?
coreymanshack
snowboardalliance wrote:
I've wanted to switch out of AIM to GAIM, but last time I tried, GAIM was really slow to load my buddy list. Also, it seems that a lot of features don't work correctly over the AIM network. (I use file transfers occasionally). Right now I'm using aimadhack, but are there any better options to get all the AIM features in a lighter program?

my question is why are you using the instant messenger to transfer files? isn't it supposed to be a messenger not a file transfer thing? Just upload your file to a free file server, and msg your friend the link~! Very Happy
Magicman
Nobody seems to have heard of Miranda IM. It can be found at http://www.miranda-im.org/ if anyone wants to check it out. I've been trying it for a while and it works fairly well with the aim server although I do sometimes get a error message saying that the message I was trying to send timed out. They also have a huge repository of plugins on their site. I'm going to try out Pidgin for a while now to see which one I like best.
emem
I'm using pidgin on ubuntu linux and it is very stable and nice. The only thing I'm missing is that Personal message for msn Sad But beside that it has almost everything!! Really nice client!
coreymanshack
emem wrote:
I'm using pidgin on ubuntu linux and it is very stable and nice. The only thing I'm missing is that Personal message for msn Sad But beside that it has almost everything!! Really nice client!

the personal message, if that is what i think you are talking about, select available, and type a message, that message will show up next to your name on other users im client.
mOrpheuS
Miranda has numerous plugins available.
In fact, the support for different protocols comes in the form of plugins.

I use it to connect to MSN and Yahoo! networks and find it work satisfactorily.
And file transfers work too!

I have never tried voice/video chat, though.
myrevolt
I have yet to try miranda. I use AIMutation+AIM 5.2.3292 on XP (good luck finding it, seriously >.>). Pidgin/GAIM is great on linux but the gtk theme isn't [by default] available on Windows, so it looks like crap. as far as features go, Pidgin is pretty good but is buggy for file transfers. AIM triton or w/e they call it is the worst IM client, ever. Trillian is ok but I much preferred the old version (well that was a few years ago). It's a personal preference really, try out a few clients and see what meets your needs =) Here is a "small" list of IM clients http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_instant_messaging_clients
driftingfe3s
I liked trillian as well, but at times people had trouble reciving my IMs when I used it so I stopped.

I tried miranda a while ago and hated it. I tired out Pidgin back when it was still Gaim and I didn't like the interface.

I'm using AIM 6 now and I'm liking how its turning out.
mehulved
Patriot Players wrote:
Where can I get pidgin?

If you still haven't found it, it's home page is pidgin.im
tmsbrdrs
On Windows, the best client I've found so far is Meebo. Because of the lack of necessity for downloading and installing anything and because of the integration with so many IM clients. It's web based but is able to pop out and look and act like a seperate program as long as you keep the tab open to the meebo homepage. Trillian is ok.

On Windows, Pidgin sucks. On Linux, Pidgin is pretty awesome though the lack of support for webcams as well as other protocols such as file transfer with the newest AIM (v. 6.0) does give me problems. I can recieve all files perfectly (I help friends with papers and often convert files to fit on their media players as I'm able to do so more quickly).

Which IM client is best is determined by what you need them for. For simple messaging, any of them will do. If you need one that requires little commitment and will allow the space on your hard drive to remain free, go with meebo. If you need one that integrates many different IM clients but you can't keep your browser open for some reason, go with Trillian or Pidgin. You'll learn to live with how ugly Pidgin is in Windows. If you're using Linux, go with Pidgin or Kopete (depending on if you're using Gnome or KDE and depending on your preferences). Just go with what feels good to you.
Tuvitor
I'm a big fan of Pidgin IM. It does everything I need, and its simplicity in design is perfect. I couldn't ask for a better IM program. All the function with none of the bloat, just how I like it.
Sphaerenkern
Since I use AdiumX which is based on the libs of Pidgin, I voted for that Wink can't say much about the UI, though.
coreymanshack
I'm pretty sure there are options to change the style of pidgin.
Tuvitor
Back when I had a Mac, I liked Adium a lot.
snowboardalliance
I've now switched to pidgin and I like it. Except it's been crashing for me randomly lately. Hopefully that will be fixed next version.
Agent ME
tmsbrdrs wrote:
On Windows, Pidgin sucks. On Linux, Pidgin is pretty awesome

Pidgin is identical on both platforms as far as I can tell Confused

I use Pidgin as it seems to be the biggest open source and free IM client. The one thing that annoys me is that it doesn't do a pop-up notification when a buddy logs in or out, but I think there's some plugin I can download to get it to do that.
coreymanshack
Agent ME wrote:
tmsbrdrs wrote:
On Windows, Pidgin sucks. On Linux, Pidgin is pretty awesome

Pidgin is identical on both platforms as far as I can tell Confused

I use Pidgin as it seems to be the biggest open source and free IM client. The one thing that annoys me is that it doesn't do a pop-up notification when a buddy logs in or out, but I think there's some plugin I can download to get it to do that.

yea pidgin is the same on both

you want a pop up in the tray? I do know it shows when they log in and out with different symbols on the main IM interface that shows your buddies
Kaseas
Digsby.
driftingfe3s
Kaseas wrote:
Digsby.

I switched to Digsby a little while ago. I like it much better than anything that is out there right now.
coreymanshack
Kaseas wrote:
Digsby.

Personally, I thought this topic was over aim, miranda, and pidgin >.>
froginabox
My reason for choosing GAIM / Pidgin over the official AIM client originally was the ability to sign into more than one AIM account at a time without doing their lame "link accounts" thing (it always failed horribly for me).

Eventually, when working at a radio station that accepts requests over IM, it became important not to have any advertisements that made noise when you put the mouse over them - that to me is the biggest reason that I will never use the official AIM client ever again.