FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Plus size Delima

KronikSindrome
Okay...I am curious as to what everybody thinks about this, but I would especialy
appreciate oppinions from people who are "plus size" (and hopefully proud of it)....

I am not a 'plus size', but I wouldn't by any means consider myself skinny either...
but when I was younger I weighed over the average for my height so I can understand
and sympathize with those who struggle with weight issues, and I can understand those
who perhaps enjoy being a little bigger than average....

anyway! I went to a job interview the other day, and in my haste of picking up and
turning in applications, I neglected to notice that the store is one that caters to plus size women....

Now, I don't have a problem with that AT ALL.....my delima is...will they?

I noticed imediately that all the other applicants (this was a group interview) were significantly
heavier than I am, as well as the interviewing employees...and suddenly I felt very out of place...
but not so much that I wouldn't mind working in such an environment....

I'm afraid howver, that they will likely not be hiring me because I'm not a plus size person...

my questions for all of you...

1: Do you think they will discriminate against me for not being a plus size?

2: If you are/were a plus size person would you feel uncomfortable with a smaller sized
sales associate helping you?

3: Do you think plus sized stores should be strictly staffed with other plus sized people??

I know this might be a sensative subject for some people, and I certainly hope
I am not offending anyone...I just truly am curious...

all comments are welcome Very Happy
coreymanshack
KronikSindrome wrote:
Okay...I am curious as to what everybody thinks about this, but I would especialy
appreciate oppinions from people who are "plus size" (and hopefully proud of it)....

I am not a 'plus size', but I wouldn't by any means consider myself skinny either...
but when I was younger I weighed over the average for my height so I can understand
and sympathize with those who struggle with weight issues, and I can understand those
who perhaps enjoy being a little bigger than average....

anyway! I went to a job interview the other day, and in my haste of picking up and
turning in applications, I neglected to notice that the store is one that caters to plus size women....

Now, I don't have a problem with that AT ALL.....my delima is...will they?

I noticed imediately that all the other applicants (this was a group interview) were significantly
heavier than I am, as well as the interviewing employees...and suddenly I felt very out of place...
but not so much that I wouldn't mind working in such an environment....

I'm afraid howver, that they will likely not be hiring me because I'm not a plus size person...

my questions for all of you...

1: Do you think they will discriminate against me for not being a plus size?

2: If you are/were a plus size person would you feel uncomfortable with a smaller sized
sales associate helping you?

3: Do you think plus sized stores should be strictly staffed with other plus sized people??

I know this might be a sensative subject for some people, and I certainly hope
I am not offending anyone...I just truly am curious...

all comments are welcome Very Happy

Plus sized store AND with only plus sized people sounds sort of, nonconformist to me. That's like saying, I will hire only tan colored people from south of the united states border to this salsa making industry. That is very, very nonconformist and I think rude. Sad.

If you were white, would you feel uncomfortable with a black person helping you?

1: Do you think they will discriminate against me for not being a plus size?, probably yes.
DoctorBeaver
I can imagine that maybe the store thinks its customers would feel more comfortable being served by a plus-size person (is "plus-size person" the PC expression these days or just a term that you use?). I think that could actually be the case with some people were they a bit self-conscious about their weight.

There are other examples of similar things happening. For instance, have you ever seen an ugly person behind the counter in a store selling beauty products?

As for whether it should be allowed... I'm not sure. I'm against any kind of prejudice. I would hate to think of a black or Jewish person being refused a job on the grounds that some of the store's customers may be racist or anti-Semitic. But I can understand that large people could feel a bit awkward being served by a skinny waif (I'm middle-aged and sometimes I still feel a bit awkward if I want to buy condoms and the person serving me is a young girl. I'd feel more at ease being served by a middle-aged man.).
ocalhoun
DoctorBeaver wrote:
(is "plus-size person" the PC expression these days or just a term that you use?).

I'd prefer the one I heard on the radio recently, as part of an ad for a weight loss center:
"People of Size"
For some reason it strikes me as hilarious.

Will they discriminate against you for your size? Probably. And it's probably legal to discriminate based on physical condition.

Just like a courier service might prefer people in good shape rather than a 'person of size' that gets out of breath after walking 100 feet, the plus size store can discriminate in the opposite way if it wants (and it has a good enough reason to, as our aquatic-rodent physician noted.)
Zug Zug
Well I'm a plus-sized woman and I don't mind if a thinner person helped me out, doesn't bother me one bit. But you do get those cracks that think just because you're a slender body-type that you think badly of them. Sad to say it: Yes they will probably discriminate against you-that is if they're ignorant enough to do so. And no I don't believe that plus-sized clothing stores should be staffed with only plus-sized women/men. I would be insulted if they did that, anywhoo have a lovely day!

<3

Meg
Kaisonic
Well, technically it is illegal for them to discriminate against you just because you're thinner than the rest of the applicants, and you can always sue them if they deny your application for that reason... but legalities aside, I think it's just how this world works. You don't usually see guys working at women's clothing shops, you don't usually see girls working at men's sports shops, and you'd probably be weirded out if you did. It's just society's natural tendency to discriminate against things that don't seem to belong. To be honest, if I went to a plus-sized store (for men's of course, which I don't think exist) and some thin muscle-guy helped me out, I wouldn't mind one bit, as long as he knew what he was talking about. Sure, he wouldn't be able to relate to my situation, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he won't be able to help at all. Same in your situation - you may not be able to relate to your customers, but if you're qualified and knowledgeable, you can certainly help them all the same. And if plus-size customers look down upon you for working there, screw them. No one cares what the customer thinks anyway, especially if they're a close-minded plus-size person.
DoctorBeaver
ocalhoun wrote:
DoctorBeaver wrote:
(is "plus-size person" the PC expression these days or just a term that you use?).

I'd prefer the one I heard on the radio recently, as part of an ad for a weight loss center:
"People of Size"
For some reason it strikes me as hilarious.

Does that mean some people have no size? They are just mathematical points? (Supermodels?)

ocalhoun wrote:
DoctorBeaver wrote:

... (and it has a good enough reason to, as our aquatic-rodent physician noted.)

I'm not actually a physician. I'm a
Drawingguy
I assume that a delima is a dilemma, but anyway. I don't think that they would especially discriminate against you for being thinner than their customers. You would, however, have the disadvantage nonetheless. If I were a clothing employer, I would look for employees who knew a lot about their customers. Therefore, if I were hiring people to work in a plus-sized store, I would look for plus-sized people, mainly because they would know a lot about what they were talking about.
missdixy
A plus-sized store here just opened in the mall in my hometown and I would say about 3/4ths of the workers are plus-sized, but there are also some workers on the skinnier side. Perosnally, I think if I went to a plus-sized store I'd feel a little self-conscious about a thinner girl helping me or whatever, but I'd probably get over it quickly.

They may or may not discriminate against you because of your weight. But, in either case, all the plus-size stores I've seen around here usually have girls on the skinnier side working there as well.
riv_
I don't think you should be discriminated against because of your size.
But chances are, they noticed that you were thin and uncomfortable with the size issue. In their situation, I would worry that an uncomfortable smaller person would make the larger customers feel uncomfortable; as such, I probably wouldn't hire you. Sad
I think most women are OK with being served by people who make them feel good, regardless of their size. Even women of average size don't like to be around the "skinny girl" who is uncomfortable or critical of the size difference!
apple
I'm a big girl and I have no problems with a thinner person helping me out at the store.