FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Wake on Lan

coreymanshack
I've seen this in my bios many of times on computer builds. I've always wondered what this could be used for and how to use it. If anyone here knows of any practical uses and server setups for this would they please share it with me? Please Smile ?
iyepes
Wake on LAN is intended to turn on machines through it's LAN adapter, for example if you need to deploy some software at night and users left their machines turned off, you can use Wake on LAN to turn them on and start the software deploy.

There are many tools for it, one I've found useful is wolcmd, an executable that allows you to turn on your Wake on LAN enabled computer, from a command line. You can download it from depicus. They also have more tools similar to it.
coreymanshack
iyepes wrote:
Wake on LAN is intended to turn on machines through it's LAN adapter, for example if you need to deploy some software at night and users left their machines turned off, you can use Wake on LAN to turn them on and start the software deploy.

There are many tool for it, one I've found useful is wolcmd, an executable that allows you to turn on your Wake on LAN enabled computer, from a command line. You can download it from depicus. They also have more tools similar to it.

Wake on LAN is intended to turn on machines through it's LAN adapter*I knew that part*

But thank you for opening up a use, I think it would be pretty scary to someone in a classroom at a school for a computer behind them to all of the sudden turn on Very Happy
iyepes
Scaring people... I haven't thought about that kind of use Very Happy
coreymanshack
Just like repeatedly turn it on and off! Fun for hours.
Arno v. Lumig
coreymanshack wrote:
Just like repeatedly turn it on and off! Fun for hours.

As far as I know wake on lan won't actually put it to sleep... It will just pretend you pressed the power button while the PC was off.
GSIS
Typical use - I share an internet connection. The modem is on my SO's PC. There's often too much cra... - err, junk - in her office so instead of risking breaking my neck to go in and turn her PC on I've set it up to wake on LAN.
AftershockVibe
Hmmm, on my laptop I use it for the following:

- So when you leave it on it will go into sleep mode unless it's busy downloading something
    - So if I want to pull a shared file from it (from another computer) and it has gone into sleep mode I don't have to go and hunt it down to wake it up first - it will wake itself when I request the file.

To do this in Windows you need to open the the network card properties page in device manager and check the "allow this device to bring the computer out of standby" check box on the power management tab.
iyepes
I have students who delight themselves turning off their mates PCs. Rolling Eyes It's not wake on LAN, it's just some kind of windows commands.