FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Website Idea

AlmightySenator
I need to learn PHP and MYSQL, and the best way id going to design a site that uses forms and a database. My problem is that I have no idea what to make. My best idea was a site that would allow users to submit their best scores/times in video games, like Super Punch Out or Mario Kart. I think that it's a decent idea, but there has to be a better idea out there. Does anyone have one?
coreymanshack
AlmightySenator wrote:
I need to learn PHP and MYSQL, and the best way id going to design a site that uses forms and a database. My problem is that I have no idea what to make. My best idea was a site that would allow users to submit their best scores/times in video games, like Super Punch Out or Mario Kart. I think that it's a decent idea, but there has to be a better idea out there. Does anyone have one?

Well, make a community site? Make an online store? Heck I duno what you are interested in... lol. I see no need in you learning that stuff If you don't even know what you are going to make.
ConquerSockets
Hi,

For ideas to a site to make in php/mysql, first of all, we need to know why do you wanna learn these languages?

I mean... What are you going to do after you learned them.. If you going to make sites on games, make a simple site about games, if u going to do something related on what u going to do later, is the best way to learn while u doing something u like!

ps. Make a forum as starting.. It was where I started!

Alexander.
Ghost Rider103
Like the others said, you need to do what you like.

If you want to build up like a site that gets a lot of activity on the forums, or just traffic overall, you need something that will keep members comming back. You need to do something that people need, or enjoy.

Good luck.
jabapyth
Do you want to "know PHP" because you want to put it on your resume? What do you expect to be doing with that knowledge?
DoctorBeaver
I did membership for my site first and then added a member messaging system. Both were pretty straightforward to do and were good for learning.

Incicentally, I would like to thank once again all the Frihosters who helped me.
Bluedoll
Think the best thing you can do is to pick something that really interests you. That will give the drive to want to make it the best you can and consquently will give you the best results. Sounds like you want something that is interactive and helpful to people maybe.

You could always share what you learn with others starting at ground zero. For some people they have no idea what a PHP is so you could start there and then add knowledge as you progress. Go anywhere that your study takes you perhaps. A helper site for people interested in making web pages for the first time?
datter
Pick a site you like, an dtry to replicate it as best you can. Not for profit or anything mind you, just for a learning experience and to see if you can do it. Make a simplified version of digg.com, or youtube.com or facebook.com

Just for the hell of it.
AftershockVibe
This sort of situation probably happens more often than people think. I designed myself a personal site and in doing so taught myself PHP, MySQL, XHTML, CSS and brushed up on my Photoshop and design skills.

Having implemented a content management system tailored to my needs, random quote generators and a rather swanky looking website I decided that I didn't *actually* have any content, nor the will to keep creating any. The web is polluted enough with pointless blogs without me adding to it Razz

So my suggestion would be to do something similar because then you can add in pretty much whatever you want without it looking out of place. It's your site, do what you want. Don't start off by aiming too high and trying to re-implement YouTube or anything massively community-content based though - for a start you don't have the bandwidth!

Razz
James007
Moved to the Web Design forum.
coreymanshack
datter wrote:
Pick a site you like, an dtry to replicate it as best you can. Not for profit or anything mind you, just for a learning experience and to see if you can do it. Make a simplified version of digg.com, or youtube.com or facebook.com

Just for the hell of it.

Ha, I actually have done that with some of my web designs. I copied it off someone else and I thought my code was better than theirs. Very Happy