FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Chkdsk on XP returns some errors

dickyzin
When I run chkdsk (also known as scandisk for Windows XP), I get the following error message.
"The size of the \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\config\default.LOG entry is not valid."

Anyone know what the problem with this is? It also prompted me to run chkdsk with the /F parameter to fix errors but when I tried that, it said the following:

"Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)"

I've had some bad experience with running Chkdsk when system restarts so I'm reluctant to do this. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
DeiviD
well i always had to schedule scandisks for it to fix most stuff, and never had problems with it, so i would try using it yeah.
KHO
just let it schedule itself to do that
IceCreamTruck
It is true that chkdsk can catch you in a loop of death, but usually if there are serious problems with the computer to begin with. In other words you should not fear the chkdsk... only the errors that it will help you find.

Usually the errors that come up in chkdsk mean that your hard drive is going bad. Yes, chkdsk will fix them but if there are errors it's a good time to do your data backups and get ready to replace your hard disk.

A healthy hard drive will have no errors.

BTW, you can always skip out of the chkdsk on boot check by pressing the "any" key. Assuming you can find the "any" key.
dickyzin
Thanks for the replies. I will schedule chkdsk the next time system restarts and hopefully things will be fixed. When I run chkdsk, I get different problems different times. Some times, it shows no errors and sometimes it shows errors, usually in the WINDOWS directory. But not consistent errors. I hope my hard drive is still good. Anyone know how or why hard drives fail?
orcaz
dickyzin wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I will schedule chkdsk the next time system restarts and hopefully things will be fixed. When I run chkdsk, I get different problems different times. Some times, it shows no errors and sometimes it shows errors, usually in the WINDOWS directory. But not consistent errors. I hope my hard drive is still good. Anyone know how or why hard drives fail?

hard drive failures are usually caused by wear and tear or bad sectors.
koltz
I recomend you purchase new HDD,
use test disk utility for recovery data from bad HDD if any,
try use 3d party tools for deleting bad sectors on your current HDD
(your OS will not use these sectors)

sametimes it is helpfull!
dwikristianto
the problem is on log file
Quote:
"The size of the \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\config\default.LOG entry is not valid."

IMHO, it's NOT too serious problem, but yes, it need to run chkdsk on next boot. savier.
scofrezo
I would recommend doing a surface scan of your hard drive.

Go to Run.. in the Start menu
type "cmd" without quotes
type "chkdsk /r" and press Enter

In XP, open the Control Panel, double click on "Adminstrative Tools", double click on the "Event Viewer" icon, then click on "Application". In the "Source" column, look for the "Winlogon" item. Double click it and you should see the results of your Chkdsk. (Source: http://forum.pcstats.com/archive/index.php/t-18142.html)
dickyzin
I have now run chkdsk /F on startup and it found no errors. Weird since I used to get errors while running chkdsk while logged into Windows. But I guess it's a good weird since my hard drive seems to be fine.

Also, what is the difference the /F and /R options? Looks to me they are very similar if not the same.
Gustaf
Here are all answers that you want:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/chkdsk.mspx?mfr=true

Quote:
/f : Fixes errors on the disk. The disk must be locked. If chkdsk cannot lock the drive, a message appears that asks you if you want to check the drive the next time you restart the computer.

Quote:
/r : Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information. The disk must be locked.
scofrezo
chkdsk /r will locate bad sectors, which is not covered by chkdsk /f. this should probably be done.
vaoger
or you can get a piece of bootable window cd...
boot it... choose repair(r)....
get in..
choose ur window... (if got multiple window)..
if not.. 1 will be it...
then type password...(if did not have set any passwords.. just press enter...)
then type.... chkdsk
all should gone well...

THIS WORK FOR ME!!
THANK TO THOSE HELP ME OUT LAST TIME!!
dickyzin
After running chkdsk on my other external hard drive, it gave me some errors which I tried to fix. After that, I lost some folders and my hard drive capacity lost about 20 Gigabytes! How can I restore these folders and the hard drive's capacity?