FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Why?

ChuCuoi
I have a question to u.

Why some hosting disable this functions in PHP : glob() ?
It make me tired.
Can make another?
Star Wars Fanatic
It might be because they are using an older version of PHP, although I doubt it...

Other then that, it wouldn't make any sense to disable it... Unless they don't want you to access the server files that you shouldn't be accessing Rolling Eyes
vinx_18
if I'm not mistaken they turn it off coz it uses globals that is dangerous and unsecured...
manav
I remember that there might be these two reasons for not working of glob()

1)This function will not work on remote files as the file to be examined must be accessible via the servers filesystem.

2)This function isn't available on some systems (e.g. old Sun OS).
rohan2kool
If the hosting service is smart enough, they'll most probably fix the problem of looking into server files through file access and permission lists, coz i don't think they can even disable important functions like fopen, fread, is_dir, read_dir etc. which along with preg_match can achieve the same effect as glob(). What i think is that since, it recursively searches all the filenames on the residing machines and matches it against a pattern, it must be consuming a large amount of memory and processing power, which might be one of the reason why it is disabled.

For the Sun OS thing, i don't think thats the reason. No self-respecting hosting service will give you hosting on old Sun systems. Even a Sun OS is difficult to spot, it's mostly *ix/Win out there.