FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

[NASA] Photos Every Day

wxzt

full size http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/182746main_image_feature_873_ys_full.jpg

This false-color image captured by NASA's Mars Exploration Rover Opportunity shows Cape St. Vincent, one of the many promontories that jut out from the walls of Victoria Crater. The material at the top of the promontory consists of loose, jumbled rock, then a bit further down into the crater, abruptly transitions to solid bedrock. This transition point is marked by a bright band of rock, visible around the entire crater.

Scientists say this bright band represents what used to be the surface of Mars just before an impact formed Victoria Crater. Opportunity is scheduled to descend into the crater in July 2007, where it will examine the band carefully at an accessible location with a gentle slope. These investigations might help determine if the band's brighter appearance is the result of ancient interactions with the Martian atmosphere.

This image was taken by Opportunity's panoramic camera on sol 1,167 (May 6, 2007). It is presented in false color to accentuate differences in surface materials.
ocalhoun
Wow, its amazing how Earth-like the false colors make it look! It is easy to imagine that it is a canyon on Earth, not a crater on Mars...
Coincidence that they chose those colors? I think not. Interesting picture, anyway.
DjinniFire
Wow yeah. I'm imagining that place like being on earth and the false blue color could be the water that they presumed existed early in Mars's life. I've always liked Mars and always wondered if we could some how nuke the core in order to get it's magnetic field back into place so that the atmosphere can form with a possibly stable ozone to protect us if we tried living there.