FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Metal Genealogy - A map of Metal

BlockUp
Hi,

StumbleUpon sent me to this great image:

[It's so big and I don't want to stretch the page so heres a link]

It's basically a map of subgenres of metal and example bands. Interesting to anyone vaguely into music.

To be honest I'm not very into metal... hardly listen to it although I like to see myself as a very open minded listener Smile but this interests me.[/img]
Helios
Hehe, that's cool! Thanks! Very Happy
I've been a metalhead since the day I was born, and even after years and years of metal, those genres and sub-genres are still confusing.
If you ask me though, the whole genre thing in Metal is very confusing and will never end. More and more genres and combinations are appearing, adding fuel to the fire.
I've seen some topics on other forums, which talk about genres of some bands, and honestly, I had no idea what they were talking about. Every band is different, and basically has it's own genre.
In my opinion, there are only two genres: the music you like, and the music you don't like.
catscratches
Thanks, I'll take a look at some of the bands there Wink
wabik90
Very nice. I like it. Thanks bro. There are lots of interesting bands which i will look for in the Internet later:)
dray101
interesting, thanks for that.

Did you by any chance have access to other genres? Smile
Shewolf
Nice map, thanks!
But, what the *@!, Cradle of Filth is put in the category of Norwegian Black Metal???? Shocked Yes, I do take this as a personal insult.
Anyway, the map looks pretty fine, and useful if you are searching fot something, but do not really know what.
Magicman
Very interesting map. I listen to quite a few bands that were part of the earlier metal stuff but I would not consider myself much of a metal fan. The genre has spread out and diversified with each new band bringing something different.
gtherockgod
Looks disturbingly similar to a metal map seen in a certain recent documentary Razz I suppose that's probably where its been taken from. Cool though.
fiendskull9
eh
i think they should have branched the hardcore and punk stuff off a little more
i dont think Agnostic Front should be in the same line as greats liek GBH, discharge, and DK
and i think the "Metalcore" should have branched, because many of the bands there arent "metalcore"
Dillinger and suicidal most CERTAINLY arent metalcore
and hatebreed is 90's hardcore (North east hardcore to get specific)
ddukki
Very intriguing idea. I'm surprised Jimi Hendrix is on that list, but of course, his music wasn't exactly light Rock & Roll. Very cool. Kudos to you for finding / getting this image.
Byakuya_Kuchiki
Wasn't that on VH1 or Mtv a while back? I'll save the image for later, seems a real neat reference to where different bands branched off from. Not to mention 90% of the bands on there are my favorites. Very Happy
Rosanova
Helios wrote:
Hehe, that's cool! Thanks! Very Happy
I've been a metalhead since the day I was born, and even after years and years of metal, those genres and sub-genres are still confusing.
If you ask me though, the whole genre thing in Metal is very confusing and will never end. More and more genres and combinations are appearing, adding fuel to the fire.
I've seen some topics on other forums, which talk about genres of some bands, and honestly, I had no idea what they were talking about. Every band is different, and basically has it's own genre.
In my opinion, there are only two genres: the music you like, and the music you don't like.

Hi there,

Even that I've created a couple of topics regarding specific metal genres, and even trying hard to manifest a new genre, Viking Metal, (It isn't really new, but still mentioned as a sub genre) can't I agree more about above. Alike or dislike.

But nice try, and even that it isn't 100% waterproof would I give an A for it. As what Helios says is there a lot of confusions regarding Metal genres, and I really think that it always would be like that, just to keep the confusion alive.

Cheers!
soldeinvierno
Wow, that diagram is complex!! Anyway, it's a good attemp to sort things, although I don't think it's so easy to catalog so many bands in just a few styles. Thanks for sharing!!
TMN11
Not meaning to bump this thread, But this is a great thread as it does showcase new Metal Genres.

And I would like to add that the list is very in-depth but there are a lot of bands who criss-cross genres so easily now that it would be impossible to class them all. The artist of the metal genealogy map has done a great job. I made one myself that just shows the top metal genres and does not list all of the bands as that is the impossible part. I'll see if I'm allowed to post it.

In my research a few years ago there were 42 main metal genres(approx), you take that along with all the sub-genres you can easily expand that to a few hundred.

Take for example PANTERA, most would agree they are thrash metal. But technically they are considered Groove Metal. Here's were the criss-crossing of genres happens.

But a excellent graphic & post!
sandman_365
The chart your talking about is from "Metal , A headbangers journey" by sam dunn . Check it out it might open your eyes to the whole genre where it came from and where it's future lies.
BTW viking rock would be blend between classic / power metal / swedish metal
asnani04
Hey. That's a nice map. Very Happy Linkin Park also comes under nu Metal, isn't it? (the old Hybrid Theory songs)