FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

i want to learn php how should i start

andy26
is their any software out their which lets you code in a design view or something and it gives you hints on any piece of coding youve got wrong im not to sure what to look for or how to start.

thanks in advance
LukeakaDanish
If you can afford it (or if you own a p2p client) I highly recommend Zend Studio...available from here:

http://www.zend.com/products/zend_studio

Its a really good editor with syntax highlighting, advanced debugging, function name suggestions and so on. It kicks ass, and if it wasn't incredibly pricey ($300!) I would have bought it....

The next important resource for you is gonna be php.net. Whenever you need to know what a function does or anything like that search php.net (using google)...all functions and language constructs etc. are explained in detail with examples on there....(example search: site:www.php.net mysql_query)

The third thing you're gonna need is some good tutorials to get you going. There are two main things you can do. Either you rely on online resources like tizag.com (their tutorials are good, but don't go into very much detail) or you buy/librabry/p2pdownload a book - if this is your first programming language (css and html dont count) then you might find having a book is very good. If you get it from the library, however, make sure its a NEW book - old books are rubbish when it comes to programing.

Finally, if you have problems with functions not working like you expect them to, remember that frihost STILL only has php4...so all the new cool php5 stuff isn't available.

Hope thats helpful

- Luke

btw: you're probably gonna find out that you also need to learn mySQL somewhere along the way - mySQL is, however VERY easy...so the tizag.com tutorials should be good enough to get you going!
Med365
Hello

If you need RAD environement for PHP there is Delphi for PHP from CodeGear Wink
snowboardalliance
http://hudzilla.org/phpwiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

That's all you need tutorial wise. Also php.net has the best reference, but I think hudzilla is better to learn from first.
ronaldallan.mojica
Quote:
is their any software out their which lets you code in a design view or something and it gives you hints on any piece of coding youve got wrong im not to sure what to look for or how to start.

Quote:
http://www.zend.com/products/zend_studio

i agree with LukeakaDanish. better to use Zend studio client.. once you tried it you will know whats the difference from using notepad or other php editor or ide. Learning or studying PHP requires your focus, and time. there are many site that support php tutorials for the beginners..

here are the link:

phpfreaks.com

please try this link and you will find lots of tutorials reagarding the very basic of php. me myself read some of those tutorials. and until now i read some of tutorials from phpfreaks.
and also i recommend books for reading... please try to get SAMS php book.
wylieconlon
I've been trying to learn PHP as well, so this is all helpful to me as well! Thanks for the hints, guys!
koychev
Guys all you need to learn and use php is a common text editor (for example notepad, or notepad++) and this site: http://php.net This is the most helpful site for learning php.
gerpg
I found that the best way to learn something is to view and edit other people's scripts. You can download open source scripts from a whole heap of websites. Then try re-creating the scripts or making a similar one with another purpose.

If you have troubles with a certain function PHP net is very helpful all you have to do is put www.php.net/FUNCTION
e.g. www.php.net/header

Another thing while learning php is to use a program that uses a visual aid of color coding different tags etc, php designer, notepad ++, HTML kit etc can all do this quite well.

Hope this helps.

Louis.
MrBlueSky
Med365 wrote:
Hello

If you need RAD environement for PHP there is Delphi for PHP from CodeGear Wink

I have been playing around with it for a while, and my feelings are ambivalent. On the one hand it lets you create advanced PHP applications very fast. It has good Ajax support and you can even attach both Ajax and PHP handlers using a click of the mouse to the same HTML elements. The whole thing is transparant. The Database Widgets also work very good, just as easy as they are used in 'normal' Delphi and Kylix.

On the other hand Delphi for PHP has some major drawbacks. Even for a simple application you have to use the entire VCL for PHP framework (which can be downloaded for free here: http://www.qadram.com/vcl4php/index.php?ac=1900# ). The documentation is very sparse. The only documentation available both with in the package and on the net is an autogenerated class-reference which is almost totally useless. Also the current release also has a lot of bugs.
LukeakaDanish
MrBlueSky wrote:
I have been playing around with it for a while, ...

Thanks for that insight, I have wondered whether to start working with it for quite a while, and this is certainly a step in the right direction in regards to making a decision Smile
gidevelop
First of all you will need a server, let's say a local one on your computer, to practice on. This one is the best believe me :[WAMP - click there > http://www.wampserver.com/dl.php].

Secondly you need tutorials and the best beginer tutorials are made by KILLERPHP.com

Hope that all you need, and like piano... practice,practice,practice
AOP Web Development
You can try to t check DEV PHP it is a free tool for php web development