FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Replace the forum "menu"

Boffel
"This is not a suggestion of a new template, but to do the menu more userfriendly"

Well, I will just say that I like the new menu here at the frihost forums, but also that it is very hard to use it because it is in the top of the site, so you have to scroll up everytime you should use it.

The menu will be much more userfriendly if it is on the left side of the site...

Here is an example:
http://www.boffelproduction.frih.net/idea.JPG

Thanks for taking time to read this, and I hope you take it seriously...
rvec
you can go up by pressing the home button on your keyboard.

And by doing it your way you also have to scroll up, maybe 5 cm less...

It has been suggested before to make an anchor link to the top at the bottom on the page. I think that's a better idea.
Boffel
Its not only hard to find, but it is also making a bad look, and it is confusing.

And also the information is looking messed up, just look at this:

Here is an example forum, where they using my idea: www.anim8or.org

Its much more clean, and easy to find.
m-productions
I agree, another menu system would be nice (and how its not centered right now is kinda ugly) but I dont think that is the option we should go with.. having it on the side like that.. also.. just dosnt look right... If you dont like going to the top, one of our members has made a toolbar/i-frame kinda thing where there is a drop down box for each section and option.
mathiaus
m-productions wrote:
If you dont like going to the top, one of our members has made a toolbar/i-frame kinda thing where there is a drop down box for each section and option.

I made one of the two... http://siriusblacks.co.uk/frih/
Boffel
Well, I doesnt like the drop down menus, but it would be good if you get in the acount information and this frihost links: FRIHOST - FORUMS - SEARCH - FAQ - TOS - DIRECTORY - ACCOUNT

But this isnt something we can make a toolbar for, because the confusing frihost menu will still be there.

Frihost just have to find a bether place for the menu...
mathiaus
Whats the actual problem? It's not information you need to see all the time. Rarely in fact.

Back to top link would maybe be helpful on those where there isn't already one.
Manofgames
Nice Frihost Navigator Mathiaus! Smile
Using it already.

However, shouldn't Contact/Expand Top Frame be Compact/Expand Top Frame Wink

I don't think this idea should be implemented, its not needed, and it might cause issues for those without javascript enabled. (Yes, I know there aren't many, but people say surfing frihost on their phone might find this annoying).

The only time you might ever need the info up there is when your posting, and you can already see the bar when on the posting page.

And like Rvec said, if you REALLY need to see the stats, just press HOME.
hack_man_
rvec wrote:
you can go up by pressing the home button on your keyboard.

I never knew that! Thanks!

Maybe we could just have the bar at the top fixed to an Absolute position. So that it scrolls up and down the page as the user does? But I think that would be a bit more bother than it is worth. :/

I like the idea for a top of page link, it would really speed things up if you wanted to jump to the index or to search for something. It could appear under every post. It would also be useful if there was a button at the top of every thread that jumps to the most recent post or page.
Boffel
mathiaus wrote:
Whats the actual problem? It's not information you need to see all the time. Rarely in fact.

Well, I need that information and links all the time, because I search for members and special forums and topics. Im sure many others also doing that...
Manofgames
If you want to search for users or posts in your browser, then just use this:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-76150.html
ocalhoun
How about something a little more dynamic...
Code:

HEADER.HEADER.HEADER.HEADER.HEADER.HEADER.HEADER.HEADER.HEADER.HEADER.
_|
_|
_|
_|
_|
_|
_|
_|
_|
_|
_|                          (CONTENT)
_|
_|
_|
>|
M|
E|
N|
U|
>|
_|
_|
_|
FOOTER.FOOTER.FOOTER.FOOTER.FOOTER.FOOTER.FOOTER.FOOTER.FOOTER.FOOTER.
FOOTER.FOOTER.FOOTER.FOOTER.FOOTER.FOOTER.FOOTER.FOOTER.FOOTER.FOOTER.

The button for the menu follows you as you scroll up and down, as some annoying ads do on some websites, but here it will be convenient, not annoying, because it will not cover up the content, or move in such a way as to be a visual distraction. It will stay over on the left hand side, keeping about 3/4 of the way down.
When you click on the menu button, a menu pops up with the account, faq, frihost home, et cetera links on it. Click the button again, and the menu goes away.

Just an idea, but I think it would be a good idea.
I know it can be done (Probably with java), but I don't know how to do it.
Hogwarts
mathiaus wrote:
m-productions wrote:
If you dont like going to the top, one of our members has made a toolbar/i-frame kinda thing where there is a drop down box for each section and option.

I made one of the two... http://siriusblacks.co.uk/frih/

I made the other one of the two (And the original) Smile Mine's a completely different variation from the original, sporting only a small box in the top right of the screen of which a menu drops down for.

Anyway, I suggest that if this is going to happen that it happens when the new theme is done, so that progression on the new theme can be done as quickly as time allows it - because we all want that new template Smile
hack_man_
ocalhoun wrote:
How about something a little more dynamic...
The button for the menu follows you as you scroll up and down, as some annoying ads do on some websites, but here it will be convenient, not annoying, because it will not cover up the content, or move in such a way as to be a visual distraction. It will stay over on the left hand side, keeping about 3/4 of the way down.
When you click on the menu button, a menu pops up with the account, faq, frihost home, et cetera links on it. Click the button again, and the menu goes away.

Just an idea, but I think it would be a good idea.
I know it can be done (Probably with java), but I don't know how to do it.

You know, it could probably be done with css and javascript. It could probably be done with something like this... http://www.phatfusion.net/imagemenu/index.htm. Just make two boxes... make the left one the menu and the right one the main forum... and make the footer and header really small, and fix them to the top and bottom... Or even just have them pop-out with the menu, but that would make things even more complicated very quickly...