FRIHOST ē FORUMS ē SEARCH ē FAQ ē TOS ē BLOGS ē COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Do people actually read posts or just reply to get points?





evilryu530
i feel like this can easily become a thing where u just click on a topic, read the subject and maybe the first post, then scroll to the bottom and reply putting some random message to get points, ecsentially to just keep their hosting account. do people actually read the posts and reply with good posts? i've read many topics and people are posting the same thing the person above them just posted, or things that don't even make sense, it's garbage....quality posts are a few now, and now that the points have increased, i feel people are just stretching out their replies to get more points.......
Nameless
I usually read all the replies in a topic, unless it has some massive number of replies (or, admittedly, I'm feeling particularly lazy). But it wouldn't surprise me if most people generally didn't. I mean, I generally only post here for the hosting. Sometimes the discussions can be interesting and involved in a few people are passionate about it, but when there are a large number of posts on a topic, giving a thought out to reply to all of them is overly difficult, especially when people have already often repeated others. It's easier just to state your case and leave, and when so many people do that, it only leads to more people doing it as you never get any real back and forth discussion going.

Great, now I sound like I'm just stretching for points. Laughing
m-productions
I agree with nameless, I try to read all the post, but if im coming into a topic that has a massive amount of posts, ill read like the first 5, and maybe the last 5 before posting. But i always read some ammount of the posts so I dont sound like a total noob.
Helios
When I enter a thread which cought my attention I read every post.
First of all, I must, I'm a moderator here. Second of all, it's interesting!
Anyway, for those of you who see people 'posting for points', please use the "Report" feature Smile
m00tmuffin
I think a large portion (maybe even the majority) of users do this, unfortunately. Almost just as bad are those that skim and reply with a disconnected, although usually somewhat relevant, comment, oftentimes which usually ends up being just exactly what you said--garbage. I usually just skip over threads until I find something truly interesting or something that really grips me and put forth as much effort as I can to get into it, which admittantly can be a little difficult at some times. It's sad, but thank goodness for the report feature like Helios said. I don't think people quite understand how helpful of a tool it is to have that ability to punish posters that do stuff like that.
GSIS
For me it really depends on a few factors.

1 - Is the OP asking for a consensus, or is he/she asking for personal opinions?

If the former, read all the posts.

If the latter, don't read all the posts. My opinion may be modified by reading them.

2 - Length of the thread.

IMHO once a thread gets past around 20 short replies, or 5 to 10 long ones, it's beyond the limits of my attention span to read everything. I either skim it, or skip it altogether.

3 - My reason for reading the topic.

If my level of understanding of the topic is good I might skip reading the whole thread. If it's mediocre I'll read more of it. If I have little or no knowledge - and I'm interested - I'll probably read the whole thing then decide whether my opinion is worth giving, or not.

BTW - I know I can sometimes be one of those 'obtuse' responders. Wink
Ghost Rider103
I almost always read every post in the thread before replying.

Unless of course like the others said there is a large ammount of post in there. But if it's only about 2 pages long, I will read all of it.

If the topic doesnt interest me, I actually wont even go in there.

It's pretty rare for me to even gome in the general section actually, because this is where a huge ammount of post are comming in by the hour, and once I reply, I wont check back until about tomorrow probally, and by then, usually the topic is somewhere down the list with another page or two added, and I just forget about it.

So I stay in the other areas where not so many topics are being made at once.
ninjakannon
I believe it is a necessity to read the first post of a topic and often enlightening, useful and interesting to read the responses to it.

A topic like this asks for your own [b]personal[/i] opinion. So it is not necessary to read any other post but the first. Therefore, you must expect replies (and even consecutive replies) to repeat the same or a similar idea, point or opinion.
I may read some of the replies but if there is more than a page worth of them then I'll doubtless skip the second page of replies (and other pages thereafter) before I go to post my own response. However, if I feel that making a reply would just repeat an already stated opinion - and that doing so would not contribute to the topic - then I may not post.

In topics that require discussion and thought on a matter than I will certainly read replies or my post would be useless and probably obsolete anyway.

Once I have posted a reply in a topic I always come back and read subsequent replies, even if I don't post again myself. I take pride in writing most posts and endeavour to properly discuss and engage with the topic subject. I find the one line posts, especially those by new members who seem to think "LOL i agree LaughingLaughing" is a quality post. I further dislike those posts that have obviously had the lowest possible effort put in to writing them - even if they do address the topic's subject.

I respect members who make effort on this forum and also those who make engaging posts most of the time but also make amusing one-liners or at least, funny short posts that are still relevant to either the topic subject or what someone has said. This type of post adds a lighter tone to the forum and makes it all together more enjoyable.
desertwind
Many people do it, unfortunately.

I normally do read replies, unless it's not a 7 page replies. Smile

PS: i do know this is a repetition of what other people told already. Smile
Aless
Sure, some people do & some people don't. If a thread is fairly new & only has a few replies on it, then of course I will read to see what people are saying & then reply to give my own opinion. If something is 10 pages long by the time I get to reading it, it's really hard NOT to say something that someone else hasn't, even if you try your hardest.

So I think the answer is a little of both. I'm sure there's people out there who will put down any garbage for sheer points & then others who look at this forum as a form of entertainment.
exarkun
Well, it really depends. There are some quality posts that deserved to be read over and over again while some are just the same old "i agree with what the above guy said" posts. Usually I would just scan through the topics to see which of these posts have content.

And most important if the thread caught my interest or not. If it doesn't, I will be the guy having the attitude "reply just to get points."
Scott
I read each post until I get this jist of what each person has to say. I'm incredibly busy, it's hard for me to find time to post (as you can see in my point count), so I can't always read everything in detail.
ThornsOfSorrow
I don't always read every post if the thread is many pages long, but if there are less than 3 pages, I'll at least read part of each post. Also, before I reply, I usually make sure that I'm not just saying the same thing that someone else already discussed. There's not much of a point in taking part in a discussion if you can't add something new.

I do think that it's a problem when people read the topic name, read the first post, and then reply. In my opinion, a discussion is much better when people are debating or adding to the posts of others rather than just blindly giving their own opinion in response to nothing but the original post. After all, that's what a forum is for (at least in my eyes).
skygaia
Actually I just reply to get points. But it's not all.
I try to read all posts and reply but it's not easy for me. Sometimes it's so hard for me to express my feeling and opinion on some posts. Because English is not my first language.
Anyway it's very helpful for me to develope my English skills and understand others.
J-Evil
If a topics replies go on for more than one page I'll only read that first page before I hit reply
Keran
When the topic is quite obvious, like this one, that asks something directly from you I just reply, I don't read any replies.
But if the topic is about something else, some discussion or something like that I check few first posts and the few last ones. I rarely quote other posters or anwser to posts in some thread, I just try to score points with long enough replies like this one Very Happy
zellfaze
skygaia wrote:
...English is not my first language.
Anyway it's very helpful for me to develope my English skills and understand others.


I wish you good luck on your quest. Anyhow I on most forums would read everything then let myself and others get off topic and the such with fairly short posts. On this forum after reading the TOS I decided that would not be such a great idea. I personally, although I'm new here do not post for points, I just love forums and the fact that they are a great way to communicate with the people around you in this dying world of ours.

Quote:
A topic like this asks for your own [b]personal[/i] opinion. So it is not necessary to read any other post but the first. Therefore, you must expect replies (and even consecutive replies) to repeat the same or a similar idea, point or opinion.


I don't beleive that is true if you read though this topic although it is similar yes, but not the same at all. It is nice to see different peoples opions and personalities shine through. If everyone were to read though every post in a topic the similar idea thing would not happen. Things like this would where we elaborate on the ideas of the previous posts. Father them and make them our own.

Ghost Rider103 wrote:
If the topic doesnt interest me, I actually wont even go in there.


I beleive that that is common sense. If a topic does not interest you why would you go there at all. Who would goto a topic that does not interest them.

GSIS wrote:
1 - Is the OP asking for a consensus, or is he/she asking for personal opinions?

If the former, read all the posts.

If the latter, don't read all the posts. My opinion may be modified by reading them.


Although I see where you are coming from, lets say that something like this post was made and people started to discuss the different things in the posts and you were to come and post an opinion would it not seem slightly out of place?

m00tmuffin wrote:
I think a large portion (maybe even the majority) of users do this,


I think the reason a large number of users do that is because it is tempting to do. Although I love what you guys are doing here I believe that. The temptation should be lessened. The easiest way to do that if you ask me is dock points from users who make posts for points. If people start to lose points for making useless posts instead of gaining them. Then they will stop correct?

Hellos wrote:
Anyway, for those of you who see people 'posting for points', please use the "Report" feature


The main problem with that is some posts are short even if they were not made because of the fact that you get points for it. Some posts are made that way because thats all they need to be.

I hope that none of you have minded my extremely opinionated post.
m-productions
ninjakannon wrote:


Once I have posted a reply in a topic I always come back and read subsequent replies, even if I don't post again myself. I take pride in writing most posts and endeavour to properly discuss and engage with the topic subject. I find the one line posts, especially those by new members who seem to think "LOL i agree LaughingLaughing" is a quality post. I further dislike those posts that have obviously had the lowest possible effort put in to writing them - even if they do address the topic's subject.



I have to say I do the same myself. When a topic is huge, ill read as i said, the first few, and the last few ( if it is an opinion thread, like you said yourself) but once i post, I always read every single post after. However, I do read more than I post... In things i dont want to post in, i end up reading all of it, in things I do post in.. I dont read all of it.. not sure why.... needless to say, its never just for points.

I actually like reading some of the posts that were made just for points, its funny seeing how lame of them can be.. and how other people react to the new people posting just for points.
David_Pardy
Being someone who is, after about 7 years, beginning to finally lose interest in posting in forums I don't really have much choice but to post in order to gain points.

That being said, I don't just post in any topic in an attempt to grab as many points as possible. I generally don't post in the General forum anymore - usually just the Games and Music forums, and only in topics which actually interest me.

I have at times considered deleting my website and solely using Myspace but I'm thinking that may not necessarily be the best move.

I am by no means trying to abuse the system here, I am aware it is here for a reason and that it works, and that free hosting is a privilege. I also completely disprove of people 'spamming' topics, having been a forum moderator myself on other forums.

Collectively I have literally got in excess of probably 30,000 posts across several forums since the start of 2000. So yeah, I've been extensively active on forums, on one account I have over 12,000 posts.

To be perfectly honest, I'm enjoying being less active on internet forums. I find reality and certain computer games, tv series and movies to be a lot more fun Smile.
darvit
When posting replies, I always make it a point to read the entire topic beforehand. Very Happy

If I get bored somewhere in the middle of my preliminary topic-reading, I will take that as a sign that the topic in question is not for me. Razz

In addition to that, if I realize that I have nothing special to add to the topic, I won't reply at all. Razz Also, like ninjakannon and m-productions, I almost always come back to old threads that I've replied to. It's always interesting to read new replies. I've been a member of this forum for a little over a year now, and you can see that I don't have much posts. Despite of that, I never went below 24 points, but really now--it isn't about the points anymore.

And by the way, I still believe that there's always going to be nice threads to read--"nice" enough to read the entire thing beforehad--and reply to.
Kaisonic
Yeah, it's really just a matter of an attention span. I usually get too bored reading an entire topic before replying to it, so I just read what it's about and put in my opinion, like I'm doing now. What I think would help is a form of watch system, so I can keep track of what posts I've made in what threads, and actually respond to what has been responded to me. The only problem with this is that I don't visit often enough to actually read all of the posts that have occurred, so it ends up being really the same thing.
m-productions
Kaisonic wrote:
What I think would help is a form of watch system, so I can keep track of what posts I've made in what threads, and actually respond to what has been responded to me.


there is, at the bottom left of the page, there is a link "watch this topic of replies" It will e-mail you any time someone responds the thread, with a link back to the newst post. You can even set it to only send 1 msg until the next time you see the post.. its a very handy thing.



Its easy to tell that I dont post for points, I dont think I have ever been below 45 points (well, when i first made my account i was =)- ) Point being, anything over 45 wont go towards your points.
apple
Hey everyone,

Like almost all the posters on this thread I also don't read all the posts if it's pages and pages long.

Truth is, when I just started posting here it was only for points, then I got interested in some of the topics and jumped in, especially on the relationships board. However, I now find that topics don't hold my interest much.

I still come and search through and even tho I find nothing to post on I read.

The times when something is funny or interesting to me (like this), I post. Smile
Hammy
Whey, I'm not going to lie but im not a very good or quick reader and even this thread would take me about 15 minutes to read. And yes, i didnt read everyone's post, which kind of brings me to the next point that it depends on wat type of thread it is. Im not really going to sit here and read everyones own opinion on a subject, because it's their own opinion and its probably repeated a fair few times.

On the other hand, if it's a post where fact and knowledge are used, then yeah i'll read what people have said. (but usualy only the last page) due to laziness and attention (im a very fidgity person and i get bored easily)... which then leads me onto the point of whether i've been fowllowing the thread or not. If i was here from the beginning of it or not.

For example i was following 'phew that banners gone' .. but now im bored of reading the same thing over and over agen.

(i just read all the other posts.. and yeh, we all sound the same xD lol)
Tumbleweed
If the initial post is asking for personal opinions I tend to post my reply then read the other replys , I do often sit and read long long threads and never post in them as all I would have to add has been added....... Posting for points...... Erm.......... Dont we have to ?
SpellcasterDX
Yes, I do read most if not all of the replies. If it asks for my personal opinion, first I reply, then I go back and read some of the other replies. But if a topic has like 15 pages of replies, I doubt I'd read them all. (As various people have already stated) But I would read maybe the first 2 or 3 pages of replies to see people's views/opinions on the topic.

For example, in this thread I read every reply. Smile
XxGunner
In topics that have many large posts I usually just read the first one and put my opinion in. So basically I don't read the whole topic and what people think because that would take long Smile
yfan624
i think people just posting replies to get points, i mean why would people come in here if they are not looking for free web hosting.
XxGunner
yfan624 wrote:
i think people just posting replies to get points, i mean why would people come in here if they are not looking for free web hosting.


Some people enjoy browsing through forums and sometimes there is interesting topics around which people may want to read whole. But your a good example of people who want points Very Happy

Hehe Razz
elbuo
Well man, every time I join a forum I read the whole thread to know what you guys are talking about.

And yes it is a fact that people come to forums which provide free hosting by posting some stuff and people come and abuse of it.They spam or post something useless to get the requirement then go ask for a host and never come back.Thats the way it is and the admins of the boards know this will eventually happen.
DeiviD
i read all the posts on the thread before replying UNLESS it turned into spam (dont usually happens here), or its got too many answers (in that case i just read the first and the last one or two pages), or its just asking for my option on something (which movie is the best) - then i usually reply with my opnion without reading it all Smile
Chelissamow
I basically do the same thing as XxGunner. I read the first post and maybe the last post (to see if the topic is still on topic) and then I reply with my opinion.
zellfaze
XxGunner wrote:
yfan624 wrote:
i think people just posting replies to get points, i mean why would people come in here if they are not looking for free web hosting.


Some people enjoy browsing through forums and sometimes there is interesting topics around which people may want to read whole. But your a good example of people who want points Very Happy

Hehe Razz


For example me. I love Forums, they are my life away from life, its something w all need. I came here not looking for free hosting but free dns, because I will be making a server soon. I am using this as a learning experience. I'm bound not to be the only one that came here and started thinking.
My Brain wrote:
Hmmmm. If I test stuff here, first. And learn how to do it here, then if I mess up it wont matter it can be fixed.


It may be a rarity, but I bet if you asked someone who has been here for a while *cough*Bondings*cough* you'll probably find that, that someone knows many people who come here for reasons other than hosting.

Tumbleweed wrote:
Posting for points...... Erm.......... Dont we have to ?


Yes you do have to post to get points, but you don't have to post for points. If you get what i'm saying. Confused
Packfan104L4
Well, since this thread became completely repetitive, I'm going to be honest and say I only read about the first 7 posts, but normally if a topic stays interesting, I'll read through each reply because I hate to be "that guy" and repeat posts.

I rarely look at this forum. I'm a Games and Music kind of guy.
ninjakannon
elbuo wrote:
Well man, every time I join a forum I read the whole thread to know what you guys are talking about.

And yes it is a fact that people come to forums which provide free hosting by posting some stuff and people come and abuse of it.They spam or post something useless to get the requirement then go ask for a host and never come back.Thats the way it is and the admins of the boards know this will eventually happen.

There's an important word in the requirements. It's not five posts, it's five quality posts (as well as at least 10 points). People who just spam don't get their free hosting but are either banned (if their posts are bad enough) or their hosting request is denied. The account creators do a good job. (:

yfan624 wrote:
i think people just posting replies to get points, i mean why would people come in here if they are not looking for free web hosting.

For enjoyment.
That's it; something simple and obvious. Many people here I know post because they like the community and take pleasure in posting. Others, others like you, do not.
tom69
I scroll slowly down, if I only c short posts, wich are most of all, not that interesting at all, I skip those, If I c a longer post, wich looks more interesting I honestly take the time to read it, cause when I come to frihost.com it's usually because i'm behind my computer when i'm bored. So then I don't mind to spend an extra 5 minutes on reading instead of just getting points.
mstreet
I read topics that I'm interested in. I usually will only post if I know information on the topic. I really try not to post for the sake of posting but my time is an essence and unfortunately you can tell I haven't been posting a heck of a lot lately. Forums do take time and I am always amazed at people who are very active.
wabik90
Smile It's pretty smart question. No. I never read all the replies(not only on this forum, but also on others). I only read few post which are at the beginning in the topic, but i read topics which are interesting to me only. Smile
bdfuns
Generally, when a person wants to host a site or want to host their site in a secured server or hosting place which giving them suffucient features and facilities, then they becomes very hurry to get the offers; and when i have found this forums site and viewed some post, i have noticed that "yes some peoples who are coming here they stay or post in a topics only for getting points." i dont support the matter at all. i always try to read maximum post in a topic of a forum then..post my valuable comments in it. So, i think people will encourage by reading my post, and next time they will replay a post after reading others post. thank you. Cool
bonestorm74
Good question. I didn't actually read your post, so I can't elaborate more on this topic unfortunately.
ninjakannon
bonestorm74 wrote:
Good question. I didn't actually read your post, so I can't elaborate more on this topic unfortunately.

Why reply then?! You have said there, absolutely nothing! Nothing whatsoever!

Quite frankly I am disgusted that you posted that, especially on a topic that is by many condemning those who make such posts. Please, from posting nothing in the future, it will make this forum that little bit more interesting if you have something to say - something with wit or thought behind it. It doesn't have to be an essay but would be a fair bit more delightful to read.
catscratches
Sometimes I just scroll down and post. But I post because I want to answer the topic (even though points also has something with it to do). I don't post when I don't have anything to say. I also check my spelling (eg. I spelled "something" terribly wring first). And edit when I find mistakes.

But in depends. Sometimes I read everything, sometimes I post without reading. If it's only like 5-7 answers, then I always read everything. If it's 2 pages... not always. More... uncommon.
biljap
I always try to read everything. If there is really a lot of posts I scan through the whole topic and read the key ideas from the most of the posts and then I post my reply. I have to say that currently I post because of hosting because I donít have enough free time but if I donít like the topic and I have nothing to say I wonít post there. Sometimes is hard for me to find a good topic and I believe Iím not the only one here who feels that. I donít understand why some people do that even in those cases and make the topic look useless. I remember I sow a lot of topics that would be useful to many people but the replies are completely useless and you canít learn anything from them!
catscratches
Quote:
I remember I sow a lot of topics that would be useful to many people but the replies are completely useless and you canít learn anything from them!

Yeah, it's such a shame Sad

Let's make an experiment.

--Everybody posting should copy this sentence from the previous post and have it in his/her post--

Let's see how long time it takes before someone does not do it!
KHO
No never! People wouldn't do that! Unless you know, they are at like -5 pts and all. In which case they just might *pretends to be innocent*.

Most of the time, I will go through and read all the posts (or at least the first page), but for topics such as this one, it would appear that (based on reading the first post) you would simply like a general consensus or a general opinion on the matter. So for this one, I personally did NOT read the entire page(s) on it, since it will just be everyone throwing in their two cents.
Seiji
It depends on the topic that I am reading. Take this topic for example, I didn't read the other posts only yours. If a topic has like 15 pages I will only read the replies on the 15th page. If it is a new topic with 3 replies, of couse I read them all.

When I posted in this topic all I wanted to do was answer your question. This thread could have drifted off to another topic now so my post could be off-topic Laughing
datter
I treat this forum like any other. I post when I have something to post about, and reply to threads that appeal to me. In those threads, I read through the replies, superficially at least but more often than not in a more usual fashion... then reply as required.

Try to forget about the points nonsense and just take part as you can. Yes, the mods will step on you now and again, and God knows I've had mini-debates with them about that here and there but all in all, just read, post and enjoy as you find yourself able. Smile
dray101
I smart Razz I go and look for a topic that interests me THAT HAS A LOW NUMBER OF REPLIES (like under 10). That way I can read all the replies pretty quickly and contribute my own ideas Laughing When it's over a page or two it's very hard to read all the posts (but if it's something very interesting I might).

Very Happy
Nameless
catscratches wrote:
--Everybody posting should copy this sentence from the previous post and have it in his/her post--


But that would be spam, and spam is bad. [/innocently confused]
ninjakannon
Nameless wrote:
catscratches wrote:
--Everybody posting should copy this sentence from the previous post and have it in his/her post--


But that would be spam, and spam is bad. [/innocently confused]

Noooo, he meant everyone should add it to their post and then write their post as normal. That way we would see who didn't read the post. But it wouldn't really work because if this topic extends for much longer then people won't read his post anyway, even if they read the first page and the last page.

I do think it would be an interesting idea to put a message like that (in a genuine topic) at the end of the first post and see who actually does it. This way we could see who reads the whole first post and who doesn't. Unless people read it and choose to ignore it... ahh well.
Sphaerenkern
Seiji wrote:
It depends on the topic that I am reading. Take this topic for example, I didn't read the other posts only yours.

Well, similar for me - I mean, why should I read all posts here? This isn't a real discussion here, you just post your opinion. If the thread would be "Should we abolish death penalty?", it would be a real discussion, so I had to read all the posts. It would be no use if I posted something that was already said.
A poll would be enough here, I think. Why am I even posti... ah, points, yes, right Very Happy
eku53ru
Like what many of the people have said already in this thread, I think a lot of people just do it for the points - I mean, it allows you to keep yourself hosted on Frihost, right? There are factors I take in whenever I stumble across a thread in the forum. If the topic interests me enough, I will read as many posts as I can before I reply. On other days, I just skim the replies made thus far and reply accordingly. I sometimes return to threads that I have replied to because it is interesting to read what else people have to say on the matter, but then again, maybe that's just me.

The idea presented above is pretty neat, but it will eventually die out (the whole "paste this line in your post to prove you have read this far" bit), as ninjakannon said.
taytay
when you've been busy with life with occasional logins to your direct admin to try and keep progress moving on your site, and then you get and email from frih.net saying you lazy.. points is usually the first thing on mind. lol. I still prefer to read every post I can, if there's hundreds I'll go until i get bored then finally post my own comment. If I'm in a hurry I'll save my reply for later :p I don't always have much to say, so when I say it I wanna express myself best I can ^_^ and hopefully not misspell anything(which is what Firefox is for Very Happy) and use many smiley's.. I like smiley's! Razz
Jaan
On topic's like these: no, I don't.
MJMX
I usually read the author's first post, replys too if there is only one page. Also I usually pick good head what I am familiar with so I don't have to read others replys as I know what i'm talking for Cool
Ofcourse I want to get more points Twisted Evil
Arseniy
If you read topics with questions like this topic or others ("Your online routine" etc.) I think you have no need to read previous posts. So I do Smile
And in topics in "Suggestions" forum or "Marketplace" forum I always read previous posts, because it is important.
knight_frost
Personally if you asked me, i think people here are just posting for the sake of the points.. Well I admit too that in my self force to post something in this forum. But i think its only normal since we are forced to maintain points...
anime
Nameless wrote:
I usually read all the replies in a topic, unless it has some massive number of replies (or, admittedly, I'm feeling particularly lazy). But it wouldn't surprise me if most people generally didn't. I mean, I generally only post here for the hosting. Sometimes the discussions can be interesting and involved in a few people are passionate about it, but when there are a large number of posts on a topic, giving a thought out to reply to all of them is overly difficult, especially when people have already often repeated others. It's easier just to state your case and leave, and when so many people do that, it only leads to more people doing it as you never get any real back and forth discussion going.

Great, now I sound like I'm just stretching for points. Laughing


i think 65% do the same as nameless posted and i totally agree i must read and according to rule you must stick on the topic so you dont get Banned and trust me banning not goodr Rolling Eyes
sonam
Quote:
Personally if you asked me, i think people here are just posting for the sake of the points.. Well I admit too that in my self force to post something in this forum. But i think its only normal since we are forced to maintain points...


I have the same experience when I come first time on frihost. I was lost because English is not my mother language and in this time is more spam and useless posts. I cannot reply on some post like: "Can u ur gur furrrr..." First I don't understand, second what to tell... But after few weeks I find for me few interesting forum and I am reading and posting there all the time.

Sonam
Azrath
I read every reply then post i dont just post for no absoulute reason
babumuchhala
Well I would put it at 50-50. If the topic is less than a page I do read all the replies and then give out my opinion or reply.

But when it gets bigger say more than 3 pages (like this one, and yes I haven't read the whole thread just a few on the first page.)

The only time I read all the posts in a topic is when I get attached to the thread and want to prove my point or something thats become very interesting (This is hardly the case)
saqib431
I think that some people just read the topic heading and move ahead to post for the sake of collecting points, I personally think that this is not the right way. coz you are not here to only get hosting, besides this u should try to make some nice posts. your main target is not only get hosted.
after all you are a decent guy!
I my self read all the topic and all replys and then if i like them then i put a post there...
ForceRun
Nameless wrote:
I usually read all the replies in a topic, unless it has some massive number of replies (or, admittedly, I'm feeling particularly lazy). But it wouldn't surprise me if most people generally didn't. I mean, I generally only post here for the hosting. Sometimes the discussions can be interesting and involved in a few people are passionate about it, but when there are a large number of posts on a topic, giving a thought out to reply to all of them is overly difficult, especially when people have already often repeated others. It's easier just to state your case and leave, and when so many people do that, it only leads to more people doing it as you never get any real back and forth discussion going.

Great, now I sound like I'm just stretching for points. Laughing


I agree, I just don't have the time or interest to read all or the post sometimes. And all the list post like what is your favorite *****? There is not really any point to the topic in the first place. I would like the forums to be more connected, and get people more into a discussion of some sorts. To tell the truth I have only found a few people that I find worth listening to and invest time into worthy post. So do better guys.
Fuzzy-Duck
In agreement with many of the other posters(!), whether I read the whole of a thread or not before replying depends mainly on the quality of the initial post, the subsequent replies, and to a lesser extent, simply what forum it's in.

Anything in general chat gets a look-over, maybe a reply and maybe a poll submission for the hell of it. However, when I post in more specific forums such as the coding, CSS and HTML areas, I'll read the whole of the thread and double-check my reply before submitting it!

I guess especially at this time of year, with people going on holiday and stuff, users are trying to gain a few extra points here and there, myself included Smile I'll post in the general forums for a "quick fix" and the more specific ones because I enjoy it and want to!

Cheers,
fuzzy
medievalman26
I read some of the shorter ones like this one, but some of the ones around 7+ pages I tend not to read all the way through. I might occasionally but rarely.
jabapyth
As this is a three page topic, I assume everyone has pretty mush said the same thing Twisted Evil .
I usually read the first page and the last one, to get an idea for it and to make sure what Im saying hasn't been said too recently Smile
[FuN]goku
well... i dont read the whole topic.. i read every second or third post just cuz i usually dont have time to do alot of posting and stuff..... then i usually give a lengthy reply, trailing off with some story ... but i agree where you said there are fewer quality posts.
Crazy_Canuck
I usually feel compelled to at least skim most posts to get the gist of the conversation.

I try to choose topics that I'm interested in, so that I can contribute to the conversation. Once I start reading, like anything else I read, I usually feel obliged to finish the story. If I get to the end of the posts, if I don't have anything to reply, I feel a little like I've wasted my time. But I am also loathe to post something inane that doesn't contribute to the conversation.

I don't really find that there is a lot of good conversation on the forum. If you look back at most replies here, people are reading minimally, then posting to get points. People either don't have time, or the inclination, to engage in anything more meaningful.

You are an exception to the rule, ninjakannon, as are some others around here. I tip my hat to you. (although I think you may have missed bonestorm74's attempt at humour). Laughing Laughing
unknownc1c
lol well first off, no one is going to read every single post in a topic, so there's no way to know what they're posting is the same as some one else. This topic has 3 pages, there's no way i'm going to read all 3 pages of posts.

second, just b/c someone posted something similiar to some one else doesn't make their post junk. It just means they think alike or have the same thoughts. If you say "The grass is pink" i'm fairly sure most people will say "no it's not."

So i don't think it's really fair to say quality posts are at a few just based on those points. I'm just putting in my opinion, does it work well with what other people have been saying? maybe, but i'm slow at reading so i won't know. If stating only your opinion is bad then i don't know, maybe i shouldn't be on forums. Confused
hofodomo01
Usually just go for the topic post....the ones in the middle of a long thread gets left out Smile

But come on, I know I'm posting simply because I don't want my hosting to go kaput.
bigdan
I do read the posts, before I try to add something or reply to a point. You've gotta know what the state of play is before you open your big fat mouth. Wink
Vrythramax
Well...I can only speak for myself, I treat each topic in basically the manner as I do a hosting request. I read all the posts the user has made and either grant or deny. With a topic it is essentially the same....if you don't read all the posts you don't know if the topic has digressed into something else altogether and it makes you look foolish to comment on something that has already passed by.

Many topics, even the most mundane of them can take on a whole new life....which is why they are allowed to stay open and active.

I guess it comes down to...You can't judge a book, or in this case a topic, by it's cover (or title).

Well said BigDan!
Zombie
I like reading the topics and getting new ideas from them, i also like expressing my own ideas. however, I do notice people who will sometimes write something like "lol same here" for their entire post, without elaborating on their views. I'm not saying you should read every single post in the thread before posting, and then write a 3 page essay... Im just saying you should always show an effort.
knight_frost
feel like this can easily become a thing where u just click on a topic, read the subject and maybe the first post, then scroll to the bottom and reply putting some random message to get points, ecsentially to just keep their hosting account. do people actually read the posts and reply with good posts? i've read many topics and people are posting the same thing the person above them just posted, or things that don't even make sense, it's garbage....quality posts are a few now, and now that the points have increased, i feel people are just stretching out their replies to get more points.......
I usually read all the replies in a topic, unless it has some massive number of replies (or, admittedly, I'm feeling particularly lazy). But it wouldn't surprise me if most people generally didn't. I mean, I generally only post here for the hosting. Sometimes the discussions can be interesting and involved in a few people are passionate about it, but when there are a large number of posts on a topic, giving a thought out to reply to all of them is overly difficult, especially when people have already often repeated others. It's easier just to state your case and leave, and when so many people do that, it only leads to more people doing it as you never get any real back and forth discussion going.

Great, now I sound like I'm just stretching for points. Laughing

When I enter a thread which cought my attention I read every post.
First of all, I must, I'm a moderator here. Second of all, it's interesting!
Anyway, for those of you who see people 'posting for points', please use the "Report" feature Smile

I think a large portion (maybe even the majority) of users do this, unfortunately. Almost just as bad are those that skim and reply with a disconnected, although usually somewhat relevant, comment, oftentimes which usually ends up being just exactly what you said--garbage. I usually just skip over threads until I find something truly interesting or something that really grips me and put forth as much effort as I can to get into it, which admittantly can be a little difficult at some times. It's sad, but thank goodness for the report feature like Helios said. I don't think people quite understand how helpful of a tool it is to have that ability to punish posters that do stuff like that.

For me it really depends on a few factors.

1 - Is the OP asking for a consensus, or is he/she asking for personal opinions?

If the former, read all the posts.

If the latter, don't read all the posts. My opinion may be modified by reading them.

2 - Length of the thread.

IMHO once a thread gets past around 20 short replies, or 5 to 10 long ones, it's beyond the limits of my attention span to read everything. I either skim it, or skip it altogether.

3 - My reason for reading the topic.

If my level of understanding of the topic is good I might skip reading the whole thread. If it's mediocre I'll read more of it. If I have little or no knowledge - and I'm interested - I'll probably read the whole thing then decide whether my opinion is worth giving, or not.

BTW - I know I can sometimes be one of those 'obtuse' responders. Wink
Alaskacameradude
I think this topic itself and the length of it proves that there are many people who post only to gain points. This is actually my first post in the general forum, I had been posting in the 'Filmaking' and 'Sports' and forums such as that, ones that I actually had an interest in. But there seems to be fewer people and posts in the specific forums so I came to look at the more general subjects. It appears that there is a lot more activity here, probably so that people can post quickly and gain more points. Now I'm not saying everyone is like that, there are quite a few helpful people around who read the pst and try to help out, but I think that there are a lot of people just concerned with getting their points and getting out.
Jack_Hammer
I see a lot of people that post nothing to do with the subject and just about the title, and it is hard to have an argument or a discution with people butting in for no other reason than for points.
skygaia
Frankly, I just read posts and reply to get points. Embarassed
English is my second language. So sometimes it's little bit difficult to argue with others.
windrei
It depends on which forum. i have 3 forums which i always visit. One is here. For this one, i come to get point only frankly speaking. But i do read the post content before i reply. i wanna make the reply longer so that i can get more points. That's why i must read the content.. otherwise, how do i have so many to write and response to it.... But i will not read every post. i just read those i am interested in and i think i can have something to write. Normally i just come here for once a week to regain the points that i lose.......

for the other 2 forums, i just simply read posts. i do not reply at all, haha.
filet
I usually read replies from topic that I'm interested with. or replies regarding something or information I'm looking for.
Related topics
How much of the Bible have you actually read?
Waar kan ik zien hoeveel posts en points heb??
A suggestion... take it as you will
Is it just me...
Changements to the Points/frih$ system (Discuss)
Why limit with 45 points?
A whole world out there....
Everyone Just Posts For Points
Ideas to Improve Frihost and the Quality of its Posts
We steal the easy posts from those who needs them!
FriH$ and points
Carl's Start-to-Finish Professional Website Tutorial
The DaVinci Code - by Dan Brown
Greetings, Introductions, and Questions ^_^;
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.