FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

2 Signature Suggestions

Ratmaster
1. Could there be an option to preview your signature before saving it? It saves a lot of time.

2. Could you be able to view your signature in the viewprofile.php page? It would be a lot quicker to see changes made than actually going to a topic you made to check it. (the preview option should fix it)

I had a third suggestion, but I forgot what it was... I'll edit this sometime.
ocalhoun
I like #2 a little better, actually. While it does take more time, it would also put one's sig in the profile, which gets it more exposure, gives more freedom in personalizing the profile, and lets people recognize your profile a little better. (I recognize some people by their sigs more than anything else)

And yes, I know how that is with the phantom #3... I'm always thinking of great things to say, and then forgetting them by the time I get logged in.
Ghost Rider103
I think both of the idea are good, I wouldn't mind at all having a preview button to make sure I did what I was trying to do.

The sig in your profile is a great idea as well, like somone else said, gives the members a better way to personalize their page.
Manofgames
I agree that the user's profile should be viewable from the public profile page.
Like Ghost said, it would cause the profiles to be much more personal, and user friendly, as against to the identical 'cloned' profiles we have at the moment.

Also, many of the commercial forums, like vb and IPB all have the ability to display the users signature in their profile.
It also makes sense to implement this feature while Bondings is updating all the templates.
hack_man_
What would be even better is if we could view the changes in real-time, with AJAX or something, on the profile page. I also think that we should have the signature on the profile page... It makes it more personal, and every other forum script does it...

Now what would be even better! Is if we could skin our profiles in some way! Even just something basic... Like colour schemes would be good...
Ratmaster
hack_man_ wrote:
Now what would be even better! Is if we could skin our profiles in some way! Even just something basic... Like colour schemes would be good...
ocalhoun has suggested this, I still think this is a good idea.
elbuo
I like both of them.

But I'm afraid phpBB hasn't done a code for it.But I bet if the admins request those codes there will be always someone to code it for them.

People this days have nothing to do! Razz
snowboardalliance
elbuo wrote:
I like both of them.

But I'm afraid phpBB hasn't done a code for it.But I bet if the admins request those codes there will be always someone to code it for them.

People this days have nothing to do! Razz

Actually that would be really easy (at least adding it to viewprofile) and I'm only a little familiar with phpBB source code.
ocalhoun
elbuo wrote:

I'm sure Bondings would prefer to do it himself, but if he somehow gets an attack of laziness, then there are probably existing phpbb mods that can do the trick, in both situations.

Edit: a new thought:
Having the signature on the profile page would be a good way to let the people using the low-bandwidth template that I've heard mentioned view sigs. If they wanted to see a particular user's sig (perhaps there was a reference to it in the text), they could click on the profile link, and see what they were talking about.
Blaster
The second one sounds like it could be easy also. Just a bit of editing and there you go. I like how IPB does there thing. They do a preview type deal. Also you can use like colors and all. Its kind of like this posting page. Same thing with the new phpbb3.
garionw
hack_man_ wrote:
What would be even better is if we could view the changes in real-time, with AJAX or something

Do you mean a WYSIWYG editor, or ajax updating.

If you mean the later, You should be able to create a script which converts BBCode to HTML (It shouldn't be too hard and one may already exist)
hack_man_
garionw wrote:
If you mean the later, You should be able to create a script which converts BBCode to HTML (It shouldn't be too hard and one may already exist)

Of course one already exists... What to you think converts BBcode to HTML when we look at posts and sigs? :p I don't think that the one already in PHPbb is AJAX, but I am sure that it could be adapted...

garionw wrote:
Do you mean a WYSIWYG editor, or ajax updating.

A WYSIWYG editor would be great! It would be even better if it could be used for anything on the forums...

If we had an updating AJAX preview window, yo could put it next the the post text-box on the posting page...
gerpg
WYSIWYG is a great way for someone who has little knowledge of coding but its not ideal for load times, it add so much unnessasary crap...
garionw
hack_man_ wrote:
Of course one already exists... What to you think converts BBcode to HTML when we look at posts and sigs? :p

Sorry, I'll rephrase myself:

If you mean the later, You should be able to create a javascript which converts BBCode to HTML (It shouldn't be too hard and one may already exist)