FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

New Technology Body Modification - What Would You Do?

GSIS
The trepanning thread currently making many of us struggle to keep our breakfasts down has made me think ...

The idea and process of trepanning, for whatever reason, has been around for thousands of years. It's old hat.

Technological improvements take body modification previously only possible in science fiction into the realms of very real possibility. We're almost at the point of 'if you can think of it - it can be done.'

I have sight problems - just ordinary short-sightedness. I'd like to have my eyes modified so I don't need glasses, and have wide/telephoto lenses. Not sure I'd go as far as infrared. Maybe even have another one added in the back of my head (might even take up teaching). Very Happy

What would you want to do if technology and money were no hindrance?
Jinx
If tech and money were no hindrance... Oh, the possibilities!

I like your idea of eye improvement, in fact I'm looking onto Lasik, but I can't afford it. What I'd really like (though it would probably be too much of a distraction - I'd never want to log out) would be an embedded internet connection. Just close your eyes and go online, look up any information you want. Just think your replies on the boards and they automatically post. It would, however, make viruses and hacks a very big problem. Would make web design a snap, though... if you can imagine it, you can build it. But then you get into the moral gray area of "where does the man stop and the machine begin?"

The question reminds me of an RPG I used to play called Shadowrun. You could buy cybernetic enhancements for your character, but the more enhancements you had, the less human you were.
ocalhoun
Personally, I would make myself almost 100% horse, or maybe I would settle for something centaur-llike, so as to still have the use of hands and human language...
Depending on how easy the changes are, I would change things quite frequently.

This is morphilogical freedom, the freedom to choose what you want your body to be like. My organization is dedicated to developing exactly this kind of technology. (But with a tragically low budget)
Tumbleweed
I have allready had laser eye surgery Very Happy

I read a book once called " The Sight of Proteus" ( goes off to google author ) by Charles Sheffield , the book is set in a future where mankind has the technology to change his form at will , If say you worked in a hostile enviroment no more need to wear safety equipment you could just have your formed changed to suit it , the people in this future were a little blasι about changing there form partly because technology and price were no object and partly because life spans were indefinatly increased and people become bored and complacent , to them it is just like buying a new pair of shoes...well to the ones who still have feet Razz
If your bored you would probably try any random whim especially if it was free and easy ..." I want to be a tree" would take on a whole new meaning lol ... so the question for me is more not what I would do but more of what I would'nt do , though I am quite sure my first whim would be a set of wings and some gills.
scotty
I thought all the replies to this question were crazy but I thought about it for a second and just realised how awesome it would be to be able to change your body to have embedded machines (internet connection would be sweet I guess, just download and watch movies wherever you want). So I guess being a horse for a day would be interesting and you're not as crazy as I thought initially ocalhoun! Horses can run fast that would be fun. As for internet in your head, I think that might be taking virtual reality too far and kind of removes the point of living if you can close your eyes and there's an entire other world.
mathiaus
I unlike most here it would seem (Razz), wouldn't go all crazy and over the top. I'm not one for doing things to my body that in my opinion shouldn't be done. By this I mean keeping within the realms of normality. By this I mean for example I wouldn't get eye surgery to have infrared eyesight. Laser eye surgery to correct faults and correct things that gone wrong I consider to be fine though.

So what would I do? Nothing.
If I had an accident or something though I would want false limbs, not extra strength ones that makes me the worlds strongest man!

@ocalhoun: You can do that now couldn't you? Cut your legs off and attach yourself to a horse's bottom half? Not sure how the human brain would control the horse's body though Question
scotty
mathiaus wrote:
@ocalhoun: You can do that now couldn't you? Cut your legs off and attach yourself to a horse's bottom half? Not sure how the human brain would control the horse's body though Question

Err blink? I'm pretty sure that is never going to happen. "Hey can you take part in this experiment, I want to prove whether a man can be attached to a horse?" I don't think anyone would agree to it.
ocalhoun
mathiaus wrote:

Some problems for that:
1: Not nice for the horse.
2: The immune systems of both bodies would have to be heavily suppressed.
3: There are many physiological problems to overcome: how to breathe, how to eat, how to get blood vessels to match up, how to get muscles and bones to match up and connect...
4: Where would I find a surgeon who would and could do it?

Basically, it would be much better if it was done from scratch.

scotty wrote:
So I guess being a horse for a day would be interesting and you're not as crazy as I thought initially ocalhoun! Horses can run fast that would be fun.

Yay! A convert! (Just kidding) Anyway, so I'm only a little crazy now, eh?
Dolphin would be fun for a day or two too, but I wouldn't want to keep that form forever...
Hammy
Heh, i see you've put alot of thought into to that ocalhoun :p.

umm, i think i woulndt have anything done and remain human, because everyone wld have someone changed.. and then i'd be the only real human left xD hehe.
Kaisonic
I think the first thing I would do is enhance my brain waves enough that I can use them to physically move objects around me, including myself. This way, I could not only move stuff with my mind, I could move myself too (in essence, fly). And then of course there are all the natural enhancements - better eyesight, stronger muscles - the usual. But the main thing for me is the brain thing. Other than that - I'd have to play it by ear.
paul_indo
GSIS wrote:

I have sight problems - just ordinary short-sightedness. I'd like to have my eyes modified so I don't need glasses, and have wide/telephoto lenses. Not sure I'd go as far as infrared. Maybe even have another one added in the back of my head (might even take up teaching). Very Happy

My friend just had his eyes corrected from being shortsighted. After a few days recovery his eyes are 20:20 vision now.
This laser surgery is common now and not expensive.

I would like a memory upgrade, if you could remember everything you ever learned, saw and heard you would be a genius.

I saw an amazing show on Discovery channel where they took some cells from a rats brain plugged in some wires into the dish of brain cells and connected it to a computer. After a few days the brain cells had learned how to fly a flight simulator on the computer. They created all their own cell connections by trial and error.

The possibilities must be endless if this is possible.
breebree
scotty wrote:
I think that might be taking virtual reality too far and kind of removes the point of living if you can close your eyes and there's an entire other world.

What about dreaming?
guissmo
I'd increase my RAM and Memory, if technology allows. =P
tidruG
Quote:
I think the first thing I would do is enhance my brain waves enough that I can use them to physically move objects around me, including myself. This way, I could not only move stuff with my mind, I could move myself too (in essence, fly).

Oh yeah! Definitely!

On the whole, though, I'd agree with mathiaus. There isn't much I would like to change. I think things are quite balanced out right now. Giving extra physical powers to a species that's already mentally far more advanced than any other would give us too much of an advantage in the natural order of things.
Nameless
No limits?

Well, first of all, this should allow theoretical immortality as whenever one body runs out I could grow a new one and get someone to transfer my brain over. Next of all, I'm thinking more utility features; extra arms, 360 vision, enhanced senses in general. Workable rocket boots for flight, and some kind of phasing technology to walk through walls, or achieve invisibility. Perfect memory. Basically, activate God Mode and work up from there.

Oh, who am I kidding. I'd settle for getting completely rid of my acne. Sad
unknownc1c
I'm deffinatly going to get into this topic ^_^ I saw a thing on TV once where a guy inplanted a chip into his arm and he was able to control a robic hand just by thinking it. The idea was people who lost motor function of certain body parts could have this done or something like that.

hmm... well first thought i was going to say i don't want anything extra/added, but i've changed my mind now that i've thought about it. I use computers a lot, i'm going to college for game programming and a little design. I think i'd want some sort of robotic hands that look normal. Just because then i can type even faster and i wouldn't have to worry about injuring my hands. Right now if i ever injure my hands that would KILL ME lol. I might even want some calculator chip in my head so i can do complex calculations really fast and easily. Then i could make games super super fast haha.

Only problem with having things added to you that are artificial in origin is that you'd have to worry about saftey from other people. You'd have to trust that what your getting will work all the time, if it needs fixed it can be fixed easily, and that no one (terrorist, etc.) don't have the means to disable anything you had made for you, if that makes sense :p

Ok well that's about all i have to say about this idea, i've said a little too much none sense already haha
JBotAlan
Well, I would get an artificial heart pump--my family's history of heart disease would not be a worry for me. Just that by itself would mean saving tens of thousands of dollars over my entire life of prescription medication.

The next thing I would do is have my eyes fixed. Right now, to get new glasses, I have to wait 2 weeks for the optometrist to order the lenses specially. That sucks.

I don't know as if I would do much more. I like me. Don't think I would change a whole lot more.

JBot
medievalman26
It would be helpful to the sick and crippled yes, but I really don't think the healthy should be allowed to have them. If anyone out there has seen Star Trek(Next Generation) then you understand. We would end up like the Borg(boy wouldn't that be odd).