FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I've NEVER read/seen Harry Potter -- am I alone??

Crazy_Canuck
With this week's movie and book release, I feel completely left out of this literary and film phenomenon.

Is there anyone else on the planet who's not read or seen the HP films/books?

Check in here if so ... we should have a support group or something!
rightclickscott
Yes, you are alone.

Even the most apathetic of the series, like myself, have atleast gone to a movie with the most fangirlish girlfriend.
Indyan
Well, I was like you for a rather long time. By the time I had read the first book 3 or 4 HP books were already out. But, once I read the books I was totally hooked. I am a big HP fan now (the books - the movies are actually quite mediocre).
Crazy_Canuck
So I should read the books, instead of seeing the films, then?
guissmo
I don't read HP because...

(1) I'm not at all interested in things EVERYONE knows for some reason.
(2) I don't find interest in reading. Period.
erlendhg
Crazy_Canuck wrote:

I think you should both read the books and see the films Smile
Crazy_Canuck
guissmo wrote:
I don't read HP because...

(1) I'm not at all interested in things EVERYONE knows for some reason.

I'm sorry to hear about #2. Reading opens up worlds to you.

However, I completely understand #1. That's a little bit like me, too. If it's for the masses, I'm not interested. Smile
Crazy_Canuck
erlendhg wrote:
Crazy_Canuck wrote:

If I do capitulate, should I see or read them in order, from first to last?

Or, if there is just ONE I should read/see, which one is it?
xorcist
I read the first book when it came out because it was required to read because of some English class I was taking. I saw the first move because I went to the movie theater one time and that was the only movie showing that late I really don't like the book series or the movie series I went to sleep like 3 times during the movie and I missed the so called important part of the movie. But If it was for those times I would properly never seen or read any Harry Potter things.
jordi
rightclickscott wrote:
Yes, you are alone.

Even the most apathetic of the series, like myself, have atleast gone to a movie with the most fangirlish girlfriend.

agree ...
Dark_Jedi06
I read about half of the first one, became incredibly bored, and never gave the crummy series another thought.
Sharpe
I never read the books, I saw 1,5 movie. I saw that one with the big snake.
And the movie where he fights the dragon, in the movietheatre.

I have no clue about which name belongs to what movie. :P
David_Pardy
I've never read the books and only just watched the first 4 movies within the last 3 weeks.

I can't say I enjoyed it, I was only watching them as an exercise in finding out what happens.

I'm not particularly interested in reading it. I barely have time to read the things I WANT to read, let alone something that I'd have to go and buy to read that I may not necessarily like and can potentially feel like it was a waste of money.
Tumbleweed
I have seen parts of one film as it was on (the children were watching TV) when I was visiting a friend, but I feel like I have seen them all and read all the books twice Crying or Very sad
TurtleShell
Crazy_Canuck wrote:
erlendhg wrote:
Crazy_Canuck wrote:

If I do capitulate, should I see or read them in order, from first to last?

You should read the books first, and in order. The movies skim over a lot of important plot points for the sake of saving time. Some of the movies are better than others--I'd say that the second movie is actually at least as good as the book, if not a little more exciting/entertaining.

And you miss too many salient details if you skip a book or two.

guissmo wrote:

Why are you bothering to post in the literature forum when you don't find interest in reading?
Obake
Crazy_Canuck wrote:

I agree with Turtleshell: books first, in order, is the best way to go. But if you were intent on only picking up one to see whether you'd like it or not...

Of the books: I would say Prisoner of Azkaban (the third), but do a bit of background reading first (ie, Wikipedia plot summaries). I'd recommend Halfblood Prince (number six) as well, but you'd need more background for that one. And maybe I'm partial to that one a bit because I'm partial to Snape. Anyhoo.

Of the movies: Order of the Phoenix. The most airtight plotting/directing I've seen in the movies, and some of the child actors--no longer being quite children--have picked up some actual acting skills. The magical fight scene at the end is brilliant.
dinael
I've seen only first two movies, and didn't read any of books.
I just don't wanna bother. Potter-o-mania isn't for me. It just
isn't my thing.
Vladalf
I saw allmost all the movies and read the first book.
I can say the first 2 movies are by far the best. But the books own the movies.
ennnzo
I have to say...yes, you are alone. I mean everybody in this world has at least seen one scene of the movies and at least a paragraph from the book..

Go read! HP is so 'effin cool! Cool
aprivateaccount
you are not alone,
i nodded off when i reached the bottom of page 1.
it is afterall a children's novel.
Crazy_Canuck
Thanks to everyone for replying.

I still have not read any of the HP books, nor seen the movies.

I'm not sure thought, aprivateaccount, that the books could be considered "children's novels." Do they not operate on more than one level, offering adults -- as well as younger ones -- different levels of meaning?

What do the rest of you think: mostly for kids? Or complex enough to satisfy adults, as well?
aprivateaccount
hi c_c,
yes, i do think its mainly for children or young teenagers.
JK rowling is devoted to her audience of children, judging from her style of writing, the simple yet descriptive style creates an ambience that is fascinating especially that of a magical world. Perhaps, it is her ability to transform fantasy to reality that attracted so many fans, both children and adults. Afterall, we grew up listening to whimsical, magical fairytales. And, some of us still like reading the occassional happily ever after.

I've only read one page of her book, and she really is a good writer, but it doesn't excite my mind.
Thus, i am not too sure what she had to offer for the adults.

Cheers,
Sunny
nepheus
Crazy_Canuck wrote:
With this week's movie and book release, I feel completely left out of this literary and film phenomenon.

I think you're not alone. I have just seen HP films (part 2). I have no much time to read HP. HP books are a economical book. I learned no more things from them. Classic Novels are my choice.
David_Pardy
I finished reading all 7 Harry Potter books which I discovered in eBook format (I'll never go out and buy them, I don't want them) while at work over the last 3 weeks.

The story was actually quite intriguing and interesting. The first 2 books were a bit... Weird, they didn't really appeal to me as an adult reader. But the third book and onwards definitely captured my attention, and the books became a little bit more enjoyable.

I've seen the first four movies a few months ago as well, because they were loaned to my wife (who is a fan of the movies) and I figured, I may as well see them before I try to criticise them. I can't really say I enjoyed the movies that much, it was more of a 'I want to see what happens' sort of thing, which is more than I can say about some other, young adult focused movies (which have nothing in them but sex and sexualised comedy, neither of which appeal to me).
Insanity
I think JK Rowling's intent was to have her original audience (back whenever the first book was released, not sure what year), grow along with her characters as she put out book after book. In the first couple of books, things are much more childlike, such as Harry just discovering magic for the first time, so much wonderful magical stuff like Quidditch and dragons -- then as the series progresses they become more focused on the characters themselves, which started turning the target of an older audience. This also explains why some older people find the later books more interesting to read than the first two (i.e. the previous poster). I wouldn't say all the books are specifically targeted to children.
David_Pardy
I would have to say that sounds exactly right, and it was the impression I got when I was reading the series.

After all, it would only make sense to continue writing for the same audience as that audience grows older. I wouldn't say the books from the 4th onwards are written specifically for children.
Polten
I never read a HP book and only saw a few fragments of the HP movies. I guess that makes me a HP-virgin. Smile
Can't say if it's any good.

But if you like fantasy and humor, then take a look at Pratchett's discworld books. The unseen university is the school for wizards to be. Take a look here: http://wiki.lspace.org/wiki/Unseen_University
dlseven777
I don't know about the books, but the movies are getting pretty lackluster. I don't really like harry potter, but I do have lots of friends that do. So I will end up watching the movies eventually.
bigdan
Haven't read the book. Was forced to see one movie because I would've been stuck in the heat otherwise.
Obake
Polten wrote:
But if you like fantasy and humor, then take a look at Pratchett's discworld books. The unseen university is the school for wizards to be.

*grins* Sly segue there, Polten. And I agree--there's a lot more breadth and depth to the Discworld series for a whole range of readers than there is in the Harry Potter books. Actually, is there a Discworld discussion thread around here anywhere? (I haven't noticed any). Should we make one?

Polten wrote:
I never read a HP book and only saw a few fragments of the HP movies. I guess that makes me a HP-virgin. Smile

*laughs* Pretty much. I don't know; in a sense it might be better to have waited until all the books are actually out to consider reading the series.
Crazy_Canuck
And now, if you can't get enough of HP the Books and HP the Movies, there's ... wait for it ...

HP The Musical!!

Aaaaackkk!
rheanna
nope your not alone I have the movies or dvds and I haven't even watched them lol Nor have I read the book. Laughing

More for kids...
crimson_aria
I just started reading Harry Potter soon after the 5th movie was released. XD
304esque
rightclickscott wrote:
Yes, you are alone.

/rofls

I have to agree tho. If it wasn't for my friends dragging me to the first movie, I wouldn't have seen nor read any too Razz

It doesn't matter really in the end. I mean, it's just a series/show. I didn't watch The Matrix nor Heroes (save 15 minutes of episode 1 XDD; ) and I'm sure there are some of my peers who had not watched LOTR I-III till now.

Harry Porter was somehow a different kind of fantasy from the ones I truly enjoy. It still had too much bearing to the real world. Not enough horseback transport, wagons, little towns and elves Razz
TurtleShell
Crazy_Canuck wrote:
Thanks to everyone for replying.

I still have not read any of the HP books, nor seen the movies.

I'm not sure thought, aprivateaccount, that the books could be considered "children's novels." Do they not operate on more than one level, offering adults -- as well as younger ones -- different levels of meaning?

What do the rest of you think: mostly for kids? Or complex enough to satisfy adults, as well?

They're really not just for kids. They're good books and thus satisfy readers on a range of levels. Actually, if I would categorize them at all I'd say the last half of the series would probably be more appropriate for teens and pre-teens. They get pretty dark.

And yes, there are many levels to the stories.

I try not to recommend that people read the Harry Potter books--by this point, if you've chosen not to get into them, it's practically a lifestyle decision and thus none of my business:) You're not the last on earth to never read them, but you're definitely the minority. More power to you. There are tons of good books out there. You could keep reading and reading forever and never run out of excellent choices, without getting into HP.
SpellcasterDX
No, I too have never read an HP book or seen any of the movies. I never really saw the hype and I never got into it. The movies/books bored me. The idea of reading a 500+ page book (approximately?) seemed dreadful to me.

As for the movies, they bored me.

So yea, I never got into HP and I never will.
TurtleShell
do you find reading any 500 page book dreadful, or just the harry potter books?
Gushe
I read 1 t/m 6 (2500 pages) in 10 days Smile In vacation Very Happy
Here in Belgium the 7th book just released, And now i'm reading that one.. though it's alot slower because it ain't vacation now..

Well.. when you have time, you should really read it Wink

~Gushe
Crazy_Canuck
TurtleShell wrote:
I try not to recommend that people read the Harry Potter books--by this point, if you've chosen not to get into them, it's practically a lifestyle decision and thus none of my business Smile

Wink Yup, my lifestyle choice is to be constantly contrary.

TurtleShell wrote:
You're not the last on earth to never read them, but you're definitely the minority. More power to you. There are tons of good books out there. You could keep reading and reading forever and never run out of excellent choices, without getting into HP.

And that's the truth. Smile

---------------------------------------------------

Here's a question: much has been made of HP, The Series, and it's virtue in inspiring young readers to read.

For those of you on this thread (or reading this thread) who hadn't read much before HP, have you started to read more or read different things because of this series (and if so, what)? Do you think HP has inspired your love of reading, in other words?
maruthi_gow
wat??
are there still ppl who have never read the book??
thats weird..
the book is really awesome..
try giving it some time and i am sure it will get u hooked...
The-Super-Freak
I HATE HARRY POTTER!!!

I think the books are so stupid and how everything just has to revolve around him. Like in the Goblet Of Fire when the Goblet spat out his name and he got into the challenge but if it was anyone else's name, it would be a case of "no, against the rules. its unethical".

I just find the whole book series a bore and it is very much influenced by j.r.r. Tolkien
TurtleShell
If you hated them that much, why didn't you stop with the first book?
eXon3
You're not alone. Actually, I don't really get what's all the buzz's about. In my opinion, this book is over-hyped. It's not THAT interesting. I don't really like fiction books. I'd rather read ANY realistic book - a good novel or even a history book.
I must admit I watched the movies, but they're also not that amazing. The movies are decent for just a plain watch once in a while, to spend some time.
TurtleShell
I really think that if I didn't enjoy the books so much, I'd think the movies were flat-out stupid. Even though I enjoy them now, I think they're bad movies...they don't stand alone; you need to know the books to really get what's going on. Too many important plot points are skipped or skimmed for the sake of saving time.
tennispro9911
The movies are bad. THe books are really good. The plot is interesting. They are very capivating books. I don't care that they copied JRR Tolkin some possibly and other authors. Authors do that all the time. The books just have to be able to keep me wanting to read more, and thats what Harry Potter does.
aningbo
no way. you are not alone. haven't seen or touch that book untill now although i have heard of them like for over a decade now.

seen the first version of the movie but never completely. dont know why but i haven't seen a single movie completely!
browncoat777
No, Canuck, you aren't alone. I've never read any of the book with the exception of various excerpts from critical articles and books on the series/'phenomenon' (gosh, I hate it when people refer to Harry Potter like that). As for the movies, I once walked through the living room and caught a scene from who knows which movie. It contained a flock of winged, flying keys, to which I responded: "FRIGGIN' FLYING KEYS!?! WHAT?" and left the room.

I know for a fact I will never weaken, never find myself reading/viewing this sad piece of modern literature. I think that, like other embarassing fads such as bell-bottoms, laser disc, and eight-track, Harry Potter is a bubble that will likely pop soon, once the merchandizing boom surrounding it has died down.

But as for me, I'd rather reread LOTR for the Nth time and still be amazed by its power than read something like Harry Potter which has only had two major consistencies: its consistently shallow writing, and the steady decline of excitement surrounding it.

(Don't hate the messenger)
Crazy_Canuck
browncoat777 wrote:
No, Canuck, you aren't alone. I've never read any of the book with the exception of various excerpts from critical articles and books on the series/'phenomenon' (gosh, I hate it when people refer to Harry Potter like that). As for the movies, I once walked through the living room and caught a scene from who knows which movie. It contained a flock of winged, flying keys, to which I responded: "FRIGGIN' FLYING KEYS!?! WHAT?" and left the room.

LOL. The challenge is that in order to provide a reasonable assessment of whether the imagery is powerful and well-conceived, or the writing "consistently shallow," you kinda have to read them to do that.

One can rage against the marketing and the "phenomenon"--which can be in no way a measure of literary quality--but to actually EVALUATE the literary quality, I would have to read them.

Thoughts?

(P.S., who's the guy in your avatar?)
browncoat777
Crazy_Canuck wrote:

LOL. The challenge is that in order to provide a reasonable assessment of whether the imagery is powerful and well-conceived, or the writing "consistently shallow," you kinda have to read them to do that.

One can rage against the marketing and the "phenomenon"--which can be in no way a measure of literary quality--but to actually EVALUATE the literary quality, I would have to read them.

Thoughts?

(P.S., who's the guy in your avatar?)

Hey Canuck,
First of all, my avatar is malcolm reynolds, the main character of Firefly(short-lived but awesome tv show) and Serenity(sah-weet movie). The quote is taken from the pilot episode of the tv show.

Secondly, while there is some validity to your statement about having read something you judge, I always like to refer such statements to personal homily: you only need to get a whiff of pooh to know it would taste bad. Sometimes, certain hints can be enough to infer the quality of the whole. In the case of Harry Potter, I'd say that a smattering of book excerpts, dialogue with fans, and a hollistic awareness of the author's values, approach, and intent for writing is enough to infer quite a bit about the literary merit. It's one thing to say that an opinion must be informed(I believe my opinion is informed), but it's another thing to imply that one has to read any work of literature in its entirety to be able to draw a conclusion about it. If that's the case, there's a lot of crap out there that I don't want to be able to conclude is crap, because I'd need to read it to conclude so. Know what I mean?

BTW: sorry to you fans for the hyperbolic language. I understand that Harry Potter means a lot to many of you, and I don't intend to disparage you or your opinions. I do disparage those people who pander to the lowest common denominator by saying: "you have to read this because everyone else is reading this." or "anybody who's anybody's reading this series." I am an English Literature major who is also a fan of Science Fiction, and (some) fantasy, and I think that if fans of those two genres would exercise a little more critical discernment, the rest of the academic community would be more likely to treat those two genres seriously. As it is, the fleeting mania that often accompanies these genres makes sci-fi and fantasy fans look like a bunch of kids whose eyes are caught by special FX. I want to have sci-fi and fantasy that yuppies, academics, snobs, and fan boys can all talk about in an intelligent and edifying way. Mostly, this is because I'm a little of each in a way. Wink
MaxStirner
aprivateaccount wrote:
you are not alone,
i nodded off when i reached the bottom of page 1.
it is afterall a children's novel.

I have to agree. Although I made it through the first third or so of the first novel (and have seen about 20 minutes of one of the films), I found it singularly dreary. Not that I don't care for fantasy / sci-fi generally ... I've read the odd Stephen King book which are at least rather well written and humorous and I'll gladly go see "Field of Dreams" or "Back to the Future", but why the Harry Potter series has been such a craze is beyond me; perhaps the general hype plus good marketing have contributed.

Crazy_Canuck wrote:

I rather suggest a support group should be established for the addicted Harry Potter groupies: "HP anonymous" perhaps:

My top dozen favorites as alternative reading suggestions (so everyone has a chance to criticize my choices in answer to this blasphemous anti-HP post Smile :

• Cannery Row
  • Der Zauberberg (The Magic Mountain)
  • Catch-22
  • Schachnovelle (The Royal Game)
  • Cien Años de Soledad (One Hundred Years of Solitude)
  • Atlas Shrugged
  • Les Miserables
  • The Long goodbye
  • Fahrenheit 451
  • The Old Curiosity Shop (Dickens', not King's Wink )
  • Don Quijote de la Mancha
  • Die Welt von Gestern (World of Yesterday)
Crazy_Canuck
That is an excellent list, Max!

I'm not familiar with:

# Der Zauberberg (The Magic Mountain)
# Schachnovelle (The Royal Game)
# Die Welt von Gestern (World of Yesterday)

Are these German authors?

(I might trade The Old Curiosity Shoppe for Bleak House, which is my fave of all of Dickens, maybe followed by Tale of Two Cities.)
MaxStirner
Yes, all three novels (novellas) are by German authors. The first I can recommend wholeheartedly and the second is perhaps a bit dependent on knowing the author. Regrettably, all three are still covered by copyright laws so I can't supply online links except to Wikipedia synopses:

Why have I never even heard of "Bleak House" ?? (embarrassing). I began reading it yesterday evening (at gutenberg.org) and, judging by the first two lines I believe I am going to enjoy this:
BLEAK HOUSE: Charles Dickens (Preface) wrote:
A Chancery judge once had the kindness to inform me, as one of a company of some hundred and fifty men and women not labouring under any suspicions of lunacy ...
pjfa
Who's Harry Potter ???
TurtleShell
MaxStirner wrote:
Yes, all three novels (novellas) are by German authors. The first I can recommend wholeheartedly and the second is perhaps a bit dependent on knowing the author. Regrettably, all three are still covered by copyright laws so I can't supply online links except to Wikipedia synopses:

Why have I never even heard of "Bleak House" ?? (embarrassing). I began reading it yesterday evening (at gutenberg.org) and, judging by the first two lines I believe I am going to enjoy this:
BLEAK HOUSE: Charles Dickens (Preface) wrote:
A Chancery judge once had the kindness to inform me, as one of a company of some hundred and fifty men and women not labouring under any suspicions of lunacy ...

So are you done with Bleak House yet? Never could get through that one, and I love Mr. Dickens. Give me Tale of Two Cities or David Copperfield any day.
AFriedman
I stopped reading Harry Potter after the first 2 books and I don't think I've missed very much. Harry Potter is okay, but so much else is better. Right now I'm reading _Dreams from my Father_ by Barack Obama which is a very, very interesting book, really gives you a perspective on what the U.S. is really like for someone like Obama.
Guelila
I have never read the books, but I have seen and enjoyed all the the movies currently out.
Especially due to emma watson's role as hermione Very Happy
SpellcasterDX
TurtleShell wrote:
do you find reading any 500 page book dreadful, or just the harry potter books?

No, just the Harry Potter books. I tried reading one once, but, I just couldn't get into it. It bored me wayyyy too much.

I've read other 500 page books, though.
Radar
Never read the books. I've seen about half of the third film - not by choice mind you, but more because I was stuck in the same room at the time. Having said that, I was interested a bit because of the time travel aspect.

As to why - just have to say that it never interested me. Fantasy is wonderful at times, but just never found the idea of the series interesting.
catscratches
I've read all of the books but it wasn't all that great as people say. They were ok, entertained a bit, but nothing more than that. Didn't made me think or anything like that.
honeyflash
Took me a while to get into the Harry Potter craze. I've read all the books but uh, not that big of a fan.
If that helps, I've never read Twilight. Everyone's talking about it, and I'm like, "what?". And to be honest I have no interest of reading it so soon.
Faraz
Play the first/second HP game on PC first, and if you like that, you'll surely read the books. That's how I got hooked to HP. =)
David_Pardy
I would just like to say, that it's been several months since I finished all seven HP books.

In that time, I have felt absolutely no desire to read the books again, or watch the movies, which means that I'm back to my old self.

I was, after all, only seeing what all the hype was about.

Now, here's my perspective:

Out of all the books in the world, the rule of human stupidity requires that there is some sort of a majority of mediocrity, although I think authors are generally imaginative and literate.

The Harry Potter series, to me, is like a 'shortcut' series. It's better than the mediocre stuff that's out there (including the first two books in the series, they were terrible). But it doesn't match up to a lot of the GREAT works by people like Dickens, Tolkien, Hemingway, etc.

I am seriously impressed by the amount of lore within the stories (and Rowling has been quoted as saying there was about 13 years of work put into the stories or something like that). But something I felt when I was reading the books was that there was something odd, missing, or weird about the way they were written. I was never able to put my finger on it, although the Deathly Hallows IMO was the best in the series.

Now, obviously I don't want to badmouth Rowling, as being an author is NOT an easy task. I know this. I just feel that there's something not quite right about the books, which if it was fixed, would change everything and make them far greater works of literature than they are.

Or maybe it's just because I think Harry Potter is a complete douchebag and deserves to be smacked around...
alanw0
David_Pardy wrote:

Or maybe it's just because I think Harry Potter is a complete douchebag and deserves to be smacked around...

Very Happy

Never had any interest whatsoever in reading any of the HP novels, though I am a huge Tolkein fan.
stel4e
I have never read the book too Smile but I have seen the first movie Wink hiihhi
kingpurple
how can u not of read the harry potter books they are some of the biggest books around

seriously if u have not read them u really should
BigGeek
Geez I never read any of the books and only saw the first movie, and fell asleep during that. I just couldn't get into it.

I have a lot of appreciation for what JK Rowling has done with the books, but I just never got into them.
BigGeek
Geez I never read any of the books and only saw the first movie, and fell asleep during that. I just couldn't get into it.

I have a lot of appreciation for what JK Rowling has done with the books, but I just never got into them.
Blissgene
Do those series movies count? If no, then you are not alone.
Nutteloos
BigGeek wrote:

The movies may be hard to get into if you didn't read the books. Also, don't skip the previous parts. You certainly won't enjoy any of the later movies if you haven't seen the ones before it.
deanhills
Neither have I. Think I have resisted it completely, probably because it is not really quite up my street or my kind of movie! I have not seen one of the movies. Who knows, maybe one day I will be forced to watch a movie, and get hooked then like quite a large majority in the world have. Smile
gcaughill
Crazy_Canuck wrote:

Read the books, watch the movies... you KNOW you want to. Smile

The books are great, the movies are ok. Go and enjoy them.
Noremac
Your one of few, I mean the books like outsold the bible.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I read the books and loved them, and highly recommend anyone do the same.

I hate the movies though.

Your choice.
kriszara
I really enjoyed the first book and movie. It is a fun story about a hidden magical world and an underdog who finds out he is a wizard.
For a kids book it is fun.
Then the author starts trying to write more complex mysteries and, in my opinion, doesn't do a good job.
Crazy_Canuck
alanw0 wrote:

Never had any interest whatsoever in reading any of the HP novels, though I am a huge Tolkein fan.

Me too. So it's not that the genre in general doesn't hold some appeal to me. I think it's more about not wanting to jump on the bandwagon. Still haven't, btw.

How old are kids when they first start reading them? My niece is 10 -- is she old enough?
crimson_aria
^I think 10 is fine. but my friends often say that kids should read only one book per year. the story matures every book. So I think it's best to follow the timeline of the books. that maybe hard to control though.

I didn't want to read them before too. But I always think people should try something first before they say the don't like it. So I read the books. and also because the 5th movie confused me too much. I'm not really a huge fan of the Harry Potter books, but I like them. I think HP is worth reading.
biljap
I’ve never rear Harry Potter and I’m not planning to. Mad
I have seen a movie on TV and I didn’t see anything special about it, except for nice animations… But you can find them in much more interesting movies.
kutekitten
To start off, since everyone seems to be saying how much experience they have first. I have read the Harry Potter series 3 times through. Once as a child, with my dad reading them to me, before I could really read that well. Then twice as a teenager, which I am now. Therefore I can not really give the perspective of an adult... However, I think the books are well written, I didn't start reading them because of the hype, I was too young at that point to understand the concept of not reading a book because everyone else is lol. I get a lot of the skepticism, since the books really are following the life of a boy, from the very beginning with child innocence to the end where he has matured a lot (can't really say more without spoiling). A lot of reading when reading books about magic (and recently, vampires) is to suspend your disbelief as long as you are reading the books. If you are reading the first few books, then you just have to believe you are the little boy, without parents, suddenly with a place you belong. If you aren't that type of person, then don't say that the harry potter books aren't good, just don't read them.

There are many people I know who won't read the harry potter books because they are Christian and believe that magic is sin.
Radar
I like the occasional fantasy novel, but Harry Potter just never interested me. The concept, the idea, nothing anyone has ever said about it has actually captured my interest. I've never tried reading one of the books, and doubt if I ever will.
Ghost900
I am also one who has not read the Harry Potter books or seen the movies. I doubt I will read the books as it would take me to long to read how-many-ever books there are now. I may see the movies as they are less of a time commitment. I may try the first book and see if I get hooked, who knows.
inuyasha
Serveral years ago, before the release of Move Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix, I was just like you. Yet now you're really alone perhaps, despite the old. My grandparent, and even my parents, haven't read a single word from J.K. Rowling Very Happy
ato784
yes you are very alone in your tiny bubble of unknowing HP, even kids from third world coountries have read harry potter books, I know since I have asked them.
zymmac
I've read about 10 pages and then gave up. Not my type of literature.

Plus, I haven't seen the movies. I've tried to watch parts of them, but didn't like it either.
iiFireShinx
I feel you. Never even read one. Never seen it. But I know the basic story.
Da Rossa
I'm here after this topic is ten years old to say I'm still with the topic opener. I've NEVER watched any Harry Potter movie or read any of J.K. Rowling's books.

Two questions:
1 - am I an extraterrestrial?
2 - should I read or watch her work?
Ankhanu
No reason not to try Razz
Try the first movie or book, see if it strikes your fancy, and proceed from there.
Da Rossa
Ankhanu wrote:
No reason not to try Razz
Try the first movie or book, see if it strikes your fancy, and proceed from there.

That being said, Harry Potter is on my to watch list. It just got promoted from "never" to "someday". Very Happy
BigGeek
Crazy_Canuck wrote:

You are not alone - never read any of the books and only watched on movie on DVD and I fell asleep during it - so no I have never seen or read any Harry Potter movies or books!

I am older and don't read much fiction Cool
deanhills
I don't read any fiction at the moment either BigGeek. It sometimes feels as though I'm surrounded by fiction. I'm reading the newspapers a lot these days and all of it looks like fiction. Where the dickens can one find real factual reporting the old style - Where, When, What, Why, How?

With regard to Harry Potter I haven't read a single book of the series. Have watched the odd movie only when it came across my way - not too bad, but I'm more into action reality type shows.