FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Can comics/cartoons change the world?

hilariouslicorice
I've been wondering about this question for a while. I might be a ridiculous idealist, but I have a tendency to think that comics and other pop-culture media can have a lot of positive force in the world. I know that when I was in middle school, watching Daria on MTV literally made me want to keep living... (with the defined goal of becoming as sarcastic as Daria, and just as quick on my intellectual feet Laughing )

I'm also made curious by the fact that, in this day of environmental devestation, lots of popular comics are set in a post-apocalyptic-type world... where people have to honestly depend on each other and their various mutation-induced powers for survival....
Pikokola
Maybe yes... Maybe No....

You could say that there in japan, there's people who only love anime / manga character, and completely forgot about other people.

On the other side, lots people works on manga/anime...

and you might be know that anime sometimes changes our culture (peoples coslpays, act like anime/manga characters, or even call some characters as god (I heard there's some secte which count Suzumiya Haruhi as their gods, it's called Haruhism)
rightclickscott
This is actually a rather interesting idea. An arguement could be made for both sides, one being that the media is helping the world. The other side is that it's destroying it. I guess there's only one real way to settle it. Take every individual show and comic, analyze it's useful and destructive properties, and put it up for criticism.

Who wants to suggest one first?
GSIS
Yes. Of course comics and cartoons can change the world. Anything can.

Take, for example, someone who has the insight to think of an idea, create a storyline, draw it, and is in a position to sell it to a comic publisher.

Now, a copy of that comic gets bought by someone who has little insight and needs inspiration from others. This is a person who, though pretty much clueless in that regard, can turn ideas given to him/her into reality. Some of those realities might be technological, some medical, some political.

It happens all the time - a chance remark, a chance meeting between someone with a need and someone with the know-how to fill that need, a newspaper story, something in a book or comic. Someone sees or hears something, somewhere, and they have a Idea moment that leads to change.
ZeroXD
I don't think it's so much the comics or cartoons, its who the comics or cartoons influence that can make a greater change in the world.

Let's face it... a small minority of the world's population do the majority of the world's work.

If a certain form of media greatly effects on of these highly motivated people, of course it definitely can change the world.
exarkun
well that really depends on the content of the comic, whether if they are filled with violence or educational values.

Or better still, sometimes they can have both, such as most violence comic that never fails to exbits some moral or ethnic teachings in it.
bigdan
Hmmmm.....(scratches chin)

I'd say yes and no as well.

Yes - if it's trying to tell a message.

No - if it's main intention is to entertain.
vaoger
yes for some and no for most...
kid are our future leader... if most of the thing (fantasy) absorp can turn into reality.....
it is quite hard to create MAGI or magic...

by the way... day dream help to activate your mind power...
RubySlasher
bigdan wrote:
Hmmmm.....(scratches chin)

I'd say yes and no as well.

Yes - if it's trying to tell a message.

No - if it's main intention is to entertain.

But Pokémon changed the world! And it was only about the sportsmanship of animal cruelty.
Deias
hilariouslicorice wrote:
I'm also made curious by the fact that, in this day of environmental devestation, lots of popular comics are set in a post-apocalyptic-type world... where people have to honestly depend on each other and their various mutation-induced powers for survival....

depending on what comic/cartoon type your looking at its not always true. most comic/toons with a lower character development needs or humor or satire are based in the "true" world. alot of your more indepth stuff (akira if you will) is set in a post apocalyptic world to add drama or suspense and gives the writer more time with there characters because they dont have to worry about daily interaction in a "normal" scense. I suppose its probably also in that style so they can give an excuse why a 24 year old man is roaming around with superpowers instead of married with a job. or how he even got superpowers in the first place........ >.< damn I cant wait tell post-apocalyptic time so I can get super powers.....or at least a cool motorcycle...or maybe a bright red mohawk and my own clan of tire wearing fuel bandits that like to blow stuff up and yell real loud. of course then I would get a small wolf child attacking me and end up with a giant boomerange in my head..hmm on second thought I ll stick with my life the way it is
karrupin
I don't know about the world, but anime & manga completely changed me..
I was so obsessed with these stuff, and wasting money & time on it (people told me so, to be frank, I don't think I'm wasting my money/time). I even always day dreaming that I am the female character of some certain manga/anime, and now I have so called imaginary friends, weird huh?
ddukki
You also have political cartoons that make people see politicians in a light other than the FOX station portrays them in. Also, if a cartoon/manga/comic can make you think even for a minute about a social problem or a world issue, then hasn't it already changed some aspect of the world? I'm sure if it affects one person, it affects most people.
gergauss
I think they can... if they really do is a completely different issue.
If you read Marvel's Civil War, you start tinking about some things in a different way... it set quite an argument which seemed plausible either way (for or against the registration act). It also depicted other problems such as up to where does loyalty go, if it's more important to do what believe you ought to or just what the government tells you, abide to the law and betray you friends or become an outlaw and other stuff like that.

This example is to show that not only political comics are those who can teach you something about the world (this isn't an offense, I personally enjoy these kind of cartoons), but sometimes the best are those who teach on more important values like friendship, loyalty and honour (not like in a battle, but like in keeping promises and that stuff).