FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Music that doesnt stop when user is browsing between pages

How/when should frames/iframes be used on a website?
Never
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
Only for non essential/minor elements of a website
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Only as last resort
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Sparingly
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Wherever needed
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Often
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
It doesn't matter - If you want ot use them then use them!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3

richard270384
Hi,

Just wondering if anybody knows a way to play music on a webpage that won't stop playing until the visitor leaves the site (rather than the music restarting on every page).

I'm currently using an iframe for the page content to achieve this but I have been told by users on my post in the 'Advertise your website' forum that frames of any sort should not be used.

The only other way I can think to have the music continue playing while the visitor looks at different pages is to open the music player flash in a new window (using javascript). The problem is that I HATE opening new windows... because I can't stand it when it happens on other sites - maybe i'm odd but it just really annoys me for some reason.

Does anybody know any other ways?

http://www.nickferno.co.nr

Cheers,
Richard
MrBlueSky
richard270384 wrote:

I'm currently using an iframe for the page content to achieve this but I have been told by users on my post in the 'Advertise your website' forum that frames of any sort should not be used.

Thats nonsense. If you need (i)frames to implement some functionality there is nothing wrong with it. Especially if there isn't a good alternative, like in this case. Even Google uses iframes (Hotmail too, by the way). IFrames are also a good and common way to implement AJAX functionality as an alternative to XMLHttpRequest.
GB
richard270384 wrote:
The only other way I can think to have the music continue playing while the visitor looks at different pages is to open the music player flash in a new window (using javascript). The problem is that I HATE opening new windows... because I can't stand it when it happens on other sites - maybe i'm odd but it just really annoys me for some reason.

It is a little annoying when new windows open, however, if you really think you need a music player, I would go this route so that the user can stop it whenever they need. However, I also believe that very few sites actually need music playing. Thankfully, yours gives the user the opportunity not to play it.