FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Anyone seen the ten things Americans want but can't have?

sandyclaus
I found this insightful:

http://www.geekarmy.com/geekblog/politics/top-10-things-americans-want-but-cant-have/

It looks at polling and forces at work on ten things supported by a majority of Americans. It will be shocking to those who think of the U.S. as a conservative country.

Quote:
10. Marijuana Decriminalization.
9. Universal Health Care.
8. Stricter Campaign Finance Laws.
7. Equal Aid to Palestinians and Israelis.
6. Reducing Military Spending.
5. Increased Social Spending.
4. Acceptance of the Kyoto Protocol.
3. A Diplomatic Solution with Iran.
2. Pulling Troops out of Iraq.
1. The Impeachment of George W. Bush.

Runner up...

Jurisdiction to the International Criminal Court.

When you think of the untold BILLIONS spent lobbying against these positions and the lack of news coverage in favor of them in the U.S., the support is that much more striking.
Magicman
Numbers 1 and 2 seem to be a pretty accurate representation of this topic. I think most Americans want those two things but unfortunately we can't have them as quickly as we want them.
rheanna
Yuh, his term is almost up...I SOOOOOOOOOOO Can't wait. Hate to see who the next diaster is going to be. "I hope to heck not Clinton" Never been a Female President so at least her chances are SLIM to none and I have no worries. LOL
Vrythramax
rheanna wrote:
Yuh, his term is almost up...I SOOOOOOOOOOO Can't wait. Hate to see who the next diaster is going to be. "I hope to heck not Clinton" Never been a Female President so at least her chances are SLIM to none and I have no worries. LOL

Please stay on topic Sad
James007
Quote-tags added.
Dark_Jedi06
Well here's one American who doesn't support any of those things. Very Happy

While I'll agree that one and two are probably the most pervasive, I have doubts about how much support there is for something like the legalization of marijuana.
rvec
I'd be in favor of that. But then I am dutch...
ReubenWilliams
its a good point that this opinion is held despite, and in contrast to the money spent trying to convince people otherwise as you mentioned, by menas such as lobbying.

I would be interested to know, if this truly represents America's public opinion exactly how it is has come to let itself be represented by a voice of government which expresses views, and acts on beliefs so opposed to the way the american public feel.
justnewbie
Dark_Jedi06 wrote:

While I'll agree that one and two are probably the most pervasive, I have doubts about how much support there is for something like the legalization of marijuana.

Agree with you too. Legalization of marijuana, don't think it would bring more benefits than disadvantages. Anyone who supports legalization of marijuana here?
Jinx
I am very much for the decriminalization of marijuana, and all other drugs. Addiction should be treated as a social and medical problem, not as a criminal one. By making drugs illegal all you do is create a black market and a criminal class that would otherwise not exist. By making them illegal, you make teens more likely to experiment with them because it becomes a way to rebel. You make it more difficult to seek treatment because people are less willing to seek help for addiction if they believe they may find themselves in legal trouble. And the government is depriving itself of a source of tax revenue (not that I agree with taxes, either.) All you have to do is look at the results of alcohol Prohibition in the 1920's.
As human beings we have sovereign rights to our own bodies, and the government should have no say over what we choose to put in them.
I don't advocate drug use, but I do believe that a person should be free to chose for themselves without fear of Big Brother Government.

(added) From my experience, I am perfectly willing to believe that there is major support for decriminalization, both for medical reasons and for recreational use, but there is big money to be made by government agencies from the seizures of property associated with drug "crimes". We have been brainwashed by anti-drug propaganda from the time we were young. It would be very difficult for the government to change positions -- the majority of politicians are going to take what they see as
"safe" stances on the issue to reassure their own re-elections, rather than the more daring idea that, "Hey, maybe we ought to rethink this whole mess."
eday2010
I'd stay away from number 9. We have that in Canada and it's not that great. The only way it would work is if there was a parallel private system. Otherwise you will end up with 8 month waiting times for MRIs and the like. Not to mention your taxes would go through the roof.
woodenbrick
I don't see how Universal health care can be a bad thing. Of course there should be a private system too for those who want to pay and get it done quicker.
As for tax increases It really wont be that much, and number 6 (decreased military spending) should take care of a big portion of the bill.

I found the list quite interesting as it's not what I thought the average Americans stance would be (Apart from the 1st 2 points).
ocalhoun
eday2010 wrote:
I'd stay away from number 9. We have that in Canada and it's not that great. The only way it would work is if there was a parallel private system. Otherwise you will end up with 8 month waiting times for MRIs and the like.

As evidenced by the trend of Canadians going th the USA to get medical procedures done, when in Canada, the wait is too long, or it is simply not available. (In doing so, they have to pay for it in the USA, while they could get it free in Canada, if they waited long enough, but they come anyway.)

The health care system is a big and bloated enough monster already, and mixing it in with a big, bloated government will not be making it better.
squeetox
You forgot underage drinking. I'm not American, but I'm going to the US this summer...
Hunterseaker
sandyclaus wrote:
I found this insightful:

http://www.geekarmy.com/geekblog/politics/top-10-things-americans-want-but-cant-have/

It looks at polling and forces at work on ten things supported by a majority of Americans. It will be shocking to those who think of the U.S. as a conservative country.

Quote:

Runner up...

Jurisdiction to the International Criminal Court.

When you think of the untold BILLIONS spent lobbying against these positions and the lack of news coverage in favor of them in the U.S., the support is that much more striking.

Sadly the will of the people and the will of the politicians differ much, like the Jurisdiction to the International Criminal Court:
The U.S government had threatened the Netherlands, that they would invade the Netherlands with Navy seals to free any marine who was held prison in prison for international war criminals. That prison is located at the coast, so a invasion or rescue mission is very easily to execute.
The reason why they threatened us?
The U.S government doesn't recognize the International court.

So I'm glad to hear that the American people do want to recognize it.
As for the other points: Just vote for the right party's and you might get what you want, don't believe in cowboys....
ocalhoun
^If the marines in question were faithfully following orders, then the Netherlands's dispute is with the USA, not the individual marines. In that case, it is reasonable for the USA to force the issue by getting the marines out of there, because the USA put them there in the first place, and needs to stand behind it's soldiers.

There should be no international court, unless we want to make a conscious effort to move towards a one-government world.
Blaster
impeaching Bush is the biggest thing on all of our minds I believe. And as long as it is a democrat then i'm fine with it.

And i would say that list is fairly accurate.
achowles
I'm actually surprised that impeaching Bush is at the top of that list. It is certainly something that's not going to happen though. The US could easily fund a public health service with only marginally less wasteful spending. Another thing that surprises me is the equal aid. Palestinians elected a terrorist group to run their country not so long ago and the vast majority still believe that terrorism is justifiable.
Arnie
Hunterseaker, I wasn't aware of that. Could you post some sources to the story? Preferably quasi-objective news reports and not rants.
missdixy
Magicman wrote:
Numbers 1 and 2 seem to be a pretty accurate representation of this topic. I think most Americans want those two things but unfortunately we can't have them as quickly as we want them.

yeah, that's too true.
also, i can't believe universal health care is so low (#9 !!)
that should at least be in the top 5.
Agent ME
Dark_Jedi06 wrote:

Ditto.

About #1 - what is one law that he broke that would be the basis for impeachment? With evidence? All I've seen or heard is about him supposedly fixing intel on Iraq having WMDs, but haven't seen anything backing it.
jabapyth
Interesting list, although im not sure how accurate it is. "Impeach George Bush"? Im sure there are some that wish he hadnt been elected (~half the country 4 years ago), but impeachment is a bit strong.
ocalhoun
missdixy wrote:
Magicman wrote:

yeah, that's too true.
also, i can't believe universal health care is so low (#9 !!)
that should at least be in the top 5.

It shouldn't be on the list at all if people would care to inform themselves before making (selfish, in that they just want more free stuff from the government) decisions.
Most of the problems in the current health care system have their roots in the fact that the government has too much influence on them. Giving the government more control would make the problems worse, not better.

For example: why are doctor's fees so expensive, and why do we see so many foreign doctors working here? The government agency in charge of accrediting medical schools in the USA hasn't let any new schools be built, despite the fact that many want to get started up, and many would-be doctors are turned away from the limited number of existing schools, which cannot support enough students to satisfy the demands for trained doctors. Some students actually travel overseas to get their education, then come back to be doctors here because they can't get into any of the medical schools here. The shortage of doctors (entirely the fault of government restriction) causes the ones we do have to be very expensive, and draws foreign doctors here for the high wages and ease of getting a medical job.
squirrelmaster
I agree firmly with #1 through #8 especially

jabapyth wrote:
Interesting list, although im not sure how accurate it is. "Impeach George Bush"? Im sure there are some that wish he hadnt been elected (~half the country 4 years ago), but impeachment is a bit strong.

The "Patriot Act" is unconstitutional, and all these "Executive decisions" since then have been as bad or worse!! Basically he has allowed himself to loosely be the supreme leader of the US, because in "a time of national crisis" he can do many many things the congress wouldn't approve under normal circumstances, and they can't veto because of other influences hindering the majority vote required.

The time of crises is over, there is no more terrorist threats, at least from iraq!! But there could be US citizens thinking about it, but only if this tyranny keeps going another 10 years! Hopefully they are patient!!!

sorry, i got on my soapbox Rolling Eyes
ill leave the argument to the rest of you

:edit
liked a comment on that list
speedmaster wrote:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.”
— John Adams...
friuser
I've heard about these for the longest time. It's just a list of things that's been talked about but private interests or status quo interests slow and break down the necessary steps to get even one thing in that list accomplished. However I think it's not worst than other developed countries like canada and england. It doesn't help we have president that gives very little confidence in his ability to accomplish everything unless through a dictatorship. You have a regime of "I am the decider".

I'm not sure what you mean by shocking to those who think U.S is a conservative country? ALOT of the developed countries are conservative. It also doesn't help that each developed country has their fanatic often christian group/religioin. Civil rights and other problems exist in every country as well.
Zug Zug
One and two most definatly. My brother has been to Iraq twice-Afghanistan twice, and now they're keeping him in Afghanistan for another year or two. He was supposed to be out of the army for good three or four months ago! But you know what? They extended his contract. Now he won't be here for his little niece's birthday-or for the birth of my second child. We had plans for my 21st birthday, out the door now. I just want him to come home, he has spent three years overseas, I think he has served his time well and that they shouldn't have extended his stay. Sorry about the rant-just makes me think. Well have a lovely day!
Kaisonic
Yeah... it's a good thing that at least the only reason we want these things isn't because we can't have them... we want them cause they make sense. And I guess the fact that they aren't going to happen anytime soon also fuels our want for these things. I still don't understand politics - we're in a democracy, right? Shouldn't majority rule here? I'm sure the majority of people in the U.S. want all these things, why not give 'em to us? Stupid politics...
ocalhoun
Kaisonic wrote:
I'm sure the majority of people in the U.S. want all these things

I doubt there are many people at all who want every one of these things.

For example, I don't want 4, 5, 7 (unless both are 0), or 9.
Someone in the military might not want 2 or 6.
The absolute right-wingers might not want 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, or 10

The only ones that would want all of them would be the absolute left-wingers.
Soulfire
I do not #1 because there is no basis to impeach Bush. He's a lame duck anyways, it will be over in one more year.

#2 is very touchy for me. If we pull out, Iraq collapses and is in worse shape than it is now. However, by staying, I'm sensing that this is turning into something like Vietnam. All in all, I suppose I support #2 ... just do it smartly.

Clearly #3 is not an option, because Iran has (repeatedly) shown it's insubordination and unwillingness to cooperate with anyone. I'm afraid that diplomatic solutions (as good as they sound) are very unlikely.

#4 should be a no-brainer. But when you have an administration funded by oil companies, what could you expect? At any rate, I suspect this will be handled better with our next administration.

#5 and #6 go hand in hand, and I support both. We're the only civilized nation that spends more money on our military than the facists, communists, and dictatorships. We're like the USSR of the "Free" world.

I'm not sure about #7, because we already have the support if Israel. Should we jeapardize that in order to help the Palestinians? I'm not quite sure.

I totally agree with #8. Spending hundreds of millions of dollars on campaigns are rediculous. That money could be going to much better places.

I am totally against #9.. just look at Canada. The wait is terrible, and their taxes are through the roof. We already have high taxes, want to add on a bunch more for a healthcare system that won't work?

I agree with #10 ... pure marijuana is not addictive or really detrimental to the body at all. And having it illegal is only creating a black market and a criminal class that doesn't have to exist. That, and the government could generate tax revenue from it. It's a win-win situation for everyone!
bigggon
All of you left wing dumbass need to get a clue and wake up. Or stop smoking that shit and let your brain cells breathe. Cause realility has gone out the door. You trive under this government and you cant stand the fact Bush is the reason why you have money in your pocket If you dont like it here get the ****** out and go over seas and see if how good you have it there. All you idiots know how to do is bash the correct and stir the pot of bullshit. Leave all of you and see what the admin. is realling fighting and maybe you understand what is happing and you will shut he ****** UP.
furtasacra
My views on all this...

Quote:

Sure. I don't smoke pot, myself, in fact I'm allergic to the stuff. Nevertheless, I think we should legalize it, regulate it, and tax the hell out of it, just like tobacco and alcohol.
Quote:

Not sure about this one. There's a lot of good arguments, both pro and con. In any case, something certainly needs to be done about our out-of-control health care costs.
Quote:

Absolutely. There is no earthly way we're ever going to get politicians to quit taking bribes from special-interest groups and big corporations, but we can at least make it more difficult, and penalize them more heavily when they get caught.
Quote:

I don't think we should be involved in that nonsense AT ALL.
Quote:

Hmm. Don't really like the sound of that. Don't we have guys running around Iraq with no armor and low ammo?
Quote:

We should spend SMARTER, not more. The current levels of funding for social programs would be sufficient if there wasn't so much waste and corruption.
Quote:

Yes. I like clean air and water. There are cities across the United States already adopting these standards on their own.
Quote:

Don't be ridiculous. We can't do that, it would be too sensible.
Quote:

That would be nice, but I think we should get the utilities turned back on first, since we're the jerks who blew everything up to begin with.
Quote:

OH GOD NO!!! Then Cheney would be President... what a terrifying idea. Impeach Cheney first.
Mr_CEO
I think decriminalization of marijuana is not a bad idea. Laws can be put into place that restrict the amount to be sold or purchased and of course buying and selling should require a license. Violators would have to do community service and pay a fine that goes towards lowering taxes and paying for healthcare. It's no worse than prostitution.

Someone once said, "Addiction should be treated as a social and medical problem, not as a criminal one. By making drugs illegal all you do is create a black market and a criminal class that would otherwise not exist. By making them illegal, you make teens more likely to experiment with them because it becomes a way to rebel. You make it more difficult to seek treatment because people are less willing to seek help for addiction if they believe they may find themselves in legal trouble. And the government is depriving itself of a source of tax revenue (not that I agree with taxes, either.) All you have to do is look at the results of alcohol Prohibition in the 1920's.
As human beings we have sovereign rights to our own bodies, and the government should have no say over what we choose to put in them.
I don't advocate drug use, but I do believe that a person should be free to chose for themselves without fear of Big Brother Government.

(added) From my experience, I am perfectly willing to believe that there is major support for decriminalization, both for medical reasons and for recreational use, but there is big money to be made by government agencies from the seizures of property associated with drug "crimes". We have been brainwashed by anti-drug propaganda from the time we were young. It would be very difficult for the government to change positions -- the majority of politicians are going to take what they see as
"safe" stances on the issue to reassure their own re-elections, rather than the more daring idea that, "Hey, maybe we ought to rethink this whole mess."
lordstrife
Marijuana would be legalized if they could find a way to market it and tax it. But with the governments limited knowledge of the types and price value of it in general they just lack the means to make money off of it.
Donutey
Our politicians are really disconnected, or I should say they are forcibly influenced by people who finance their campaigns (big and small business, lobbyists) where they are expected to toe the line and not change the status quo (ie setup universal health care). It takes way too much money to run a decent campaign anymore, though I hope with the internet it will be easier for a less well financed politician to get his/her name in the ring in the future.
PurPleKuSh
Well, thats a pretty accurate list, but theres a few thing's it's missing, such as world peace, and $100mil.....I think #10 should be #1 though...just my opinion.
Drawingguy
Despite, as mentioned, the benefits of marijuana legalization, why would you want to legalize it? In a country where cigarettes are so disdainfully viewed, to the point where people are prohibited from smoking in public areas(like New York), wouldn't legalizing marijuana just be a step backwards?

And by 'more social spending,' does that include social security? It can't just be overlooked, and even then, wouldn't reforming, more so than adding more, be necessary.

Anyway, this poll seems kind of biased. That's been stated already, but nevertheless, I feel so as well. And biggon, aren't you being a little aggressive for the discussion?