FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I'm getting a trepanation. Any advice?

uuuuuu
Hey everybody it's Uwe again, long time no see.
Since I last posted here on FriHost, I have met a new group of friends and I've been hanging out with them a lot. That's why I haven't been here too much.
Anyway, to get to my question, one of my friends has told me about a guy he knows who has an auger and all of the sterilization equipment, and will trepan me for about $400.

He really wants me to do it. And at first I was hesitant, but the more I think about it the more interested I am in using this procedure to achieve a truly new and permanent state of consciousness.

Most convincing to me has been this website: http://www.bmezine.com/news/people/A10101/trepan/ which is one man's account of his experience. It truly has brought him to a new level of enlightenment.

I have heard of a number of others who have gone through with this and their lives have been so enhanced by it. It really seems like this is the next step toward enlightenment that I've been waiting for so long to take.

Has anyone heard of any negative side effects or consequences?
Surprisingly I've heard of none, but whatever risk might even be involved, I'm ready to take it on.
Wish my luck everyone.

Love,

Uwe

P.S. For the curious, wikipedia has an article on the subject, albeit concerning the procedure more than the elevated level of consciousness that it brings, here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trepanation
rvec
You should really think about this. It seems like a very risky thing. You could get an infection, something could damage your brain or after the operation you might hit something with your head. And there are probably a lot more things that could go wrong.

from this site in your post:

Quote:
Based on your diary entries, you suddenly came to a change of opinion on the results of your trepanning experience. What caused the seemingly sudden change of opinion?

It was seemingly sudden mostly because I didn't write down much between those last two entries. I started doubting it when I realized that there was nothing happening that couldn't be attributed to either the fact that I was paying extremely close attention to every feeling in my body and process in my head and/or pure placebo effects. It also happened as some of the initial feelings I reported waned and disappeared altogether. Some initial weirdness was very intense. I was experiencing the sensation of thinking multiple things at once, and seeing and hearing what was going on around me, and was being able to pay attention to and focus on all of those things pretty simultaneously. I could talk to someone and both hear & understand all their statements even while I was thinking about something else. That was a new feeling for me. Usually if I don't pay close attention to someone, their 'volume' gets turned down in comparison to my thoughts, or I sometimes miss parts of what they said. I was feeling similar to someone on an acid trip in that all my sensory impressions were more clear. Touching and textures were more intense, I could focus on various parts of sounds more, I was thinking very quickly and not losing track of my thoughts. I was remembering all of my dreams. My moodiness seemed to have gone away completely. I wasn't feeling grumpy every morning until my first coffee. As these sorts of things happened less and less until eventually I was pretty much back to normal, I realized it was all placebo. I feel the need now to speak about this because it's not being mentioned by anyone who's actually experienced it, that it is not a physiological phenomenon. I don't think it is a physiological phenomenon at all.

So it might be only a placebo. And a placebo with these risks might not be such a good idea.

also from that site:
Quote:
I would say however that it was not worth the risks overall nor were the results nearly as pronounced as I had hoped it would be.

Maybe you should try meditation or something else to practice your mind. I think something like Zen would be more successful.
GSIS
I can't help thinking you need that done to you about as much as you need another hole in your head. Shocked

Seriously, though, this can't be anything but a complete and utter wind-up, the act of a very foolish person, or the act of someone who is in need of some serious help from mental health professionals.

Just my 2c.
Dark_Jedi06
Drilling a hole in your head to increase consciousness?

Shocked

This sounds like a load to me, and is most likely very dangerous. The fact that the dude on that website did it with a few of his friends makes the procedure sound like a complete crock and incredibly dangerous.
erlendhg
Do I get you right?
Drilling a hole through your skull?
Man, that sounds scary...

And wouldn't it be very risky too? Not talking of just the operation, but the life after...
squeetox
Dude, consider this further. I mean, somebody is going to charge you $400 for drilling a hole in your head, which is extremely dangerous for hygienic reasons (I'm pretty sure the operation won't take place in a hospital and you won't recover in a sterile room).
If you survive that, anything hitting your head where that hole was drilled will cause much harm to your brain. I mean, why do you think we have a skull: it's a shield.
Finally let me say that even if that account were true (which might very well not be), the described effects are consequence of a placebo effect: the person feels better because he thinks he can feel better after the operation, but his improved condition has nothing to do with it.
Vrythramax
Not to be sarcastic...but aren't there better ways to open your mind? From what I understand this procedure has had no known benefits except in cases where the brain was swollen and doctors (?) needed to release pressure.

I could be wrong...I flunked out of pre-med and took up computers instead.
Crazy_Canuck
Good grief! This is the worst possible kind of medieval medicine. It is based on absolutely no scientific fact and is, in fact, thoroughly discredited medical malpractice.

You are, of course, joking?! I hope?!?
standready
Next thing will the Leaches.
Please reconsider even thinking about drilling a hole in your head. There are plenty of holes already and they work fine. There has to be better ways to open your mind without opening your skull.
ReubenWilliams
uuuuuu wrote:
Hey everybody it's Uwe again, long time no see.
Since I last posted here on FriHost, I have met a new group of friends and I've been hanging out with them a lot. That's why I haven't been here too much.
Anyway, to get to my question, one of my friends has told me about a guy he knows who has an auger and all of the sterilization equipment, and will trepan me for about $400.

He really wants me to do it. And at first I was hesitant, but the more I think about it the more interested I am in using this procedure to achieve a truly new and permanent state of consciousness.

Most convincing to me has been this website: http://www.bmezine.com/news/people/A10101/trepan/ which is one man's account of his experience. It truly has brought him to a new level of enlightenment.

I have heard of a number of others who have gone through with this and their lives have been so enhanced by it. It really seems like this is the next step toward enlightenment that I've been waiting for so long to take.

Has anyone heard of any negative side effects or consequences?
Surprisingly I've heard of none, but whatever risk might even be involved, I'm ready to take it on.
Wish my luck everyone.

Love,

Uwe

P.S. For the curious, wikipedia has an article on the subject, albeit concerning the procedure more than the elevated level of consciousness that it brings, here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trepanation

whilst you are at it why don't you use some other medieval medicine. Apply leeches to cure TB or any kind of disease, like the common cold, and if you have a problem with any part of your body then find a plant whihc is shaped similiarly and rub it on.

e.g My fingers are sore! Oh never mind here take the okra and rub them on, they lok like healthjy fingers anyway.

Also use frogs or toads to remove warts!

Your life expectancy should fall but your quality of life will go up, up, up.
GSIS
standready wrote:
Next thing will the Leaches.
Please reconsider even thinking about drilling a hole in your head. There are plenty of holes already and they work fine. There has to be better ways to open your mind without opening your skull.

Leeches are still used in modern medicine!

They're used to help promote blood flow in skin grafts and limb reattachments. They can also be used to reduce bruising!

Trepanning does have some medical uses but it's certainly not to be done on a kitchen table...
justnewbie
Well, in my humble opinion, man was made to be perfect, everything else in our body system has their own functions, and that of course includes the skeletal system. Speaking of skeletal system, our skull is meant to protect our brain, and with brain being almost the most important organ in our body (after your heart I guess).. the skull should have been one of the most protective skeletal structure.

Then, why? Why you would choose to make things upside down by drilling a hole inside your skull, making your brain susceptible to damages? This is what I honestly think of, anyway, it is also the same thing as circumcision, well, I meant, if man is supposed to be the perfect creation of God, then why would you want to alter God's design after all, am I right? Sorry, this is going to be a bit of theological.. heh-

Anyway, all in all, I'm quite disagree with your decision.. really, increasing consciousness by drilling a hole in your skull? I guess it would be better if you ask the patients that does really undergo such operations below official or legal medical circumstances, like cancer patients for removing tumor in their brain or some sort.. to know if they really have a supposed 'increased' consciousness after the operation.

That's my 2 cents-
Jinx
At one point, during the middle ages, it was believed that insanity could be cured by hanging the patient up by their ankles and flogging them with a pig skin. Perhaps you should try that.

If you want to open your mind, as someone earlier mentioned -- Zen meditation is probably a much better alternative. It's certainly far safer.
erlendhg
Vrythramax wrote:

Have you studied medicine, or started on medicine studies? Is that what you mean by pre-med?
j_f_k
You've got to be nuts if this isn't a complete windup. I can understand people taking this procedure seriously in mediaeval times when the knowledge in medicine was less than perfect, lets say, but not today.

Use Ritalin or something if you want that sort of trip, far less dangerous.
Vrythramax
erlendhg wrote:
Vrythramax wrote:

Have you studied medicine, or started on medicine studies? Is that what you mean by pre-med?

I started, but just couldn't handle disection of a cadaver.....that was it for me and I changed my major.
uuuuuu
Hey everyone.

After some deep thinking, and soul searching, and thanks to your advice, I have decided to postpone getting a hole drilled in my skull for a little while.
I am thinking that maybe these guys didn't have my best interests in mind. I became suspicious when I realized that these guys, although having many body modifications themselves, had not actually had the holes drilled yet. I was going to be an experimental subject, I think.

It was a tattoo artist who was going to do the drilling, and although he was eager to do it, I came to doubt his surgical augering qualifications.

Furthermore, my parents said they were going to stop paying for school and my car and my phone if I went through with this. I never should have told them about this idea.

Anyway, I am still at nominal conscious levels for now.
Many happy days to you all.

Love,

Uwe
driftingfe3s
I heard that monks use to do this for the same purpose. Still, I think it is something which could go terribly wrong plus the risk of infection later on.

I'm glad you posponed it. There are other ways to reach diffrent levels of consciousness that don't have as high a risk.
Helios
Even drugs are better, lol.
Seriously speaking, learn to meditate, practice some martial art - it'll improve your life not only in the aspect of consciousness and awareness, but also in your general health status. Maybe the effect is reached after a long time (compared to other... uhmm... techniques), but you can't lose here Wink
Aless
That's really quite scary that someone would go to such lengths to alter themselves like that. There must be easier, less invasive methods to enhance your quality of life. NOTHING is worth permanent damage! I hope you've seriously thought this through, including the consequences if something goes wrong.
greenwoodmonkey
Do it! Do It!

The world is getting too full and the cost of renting is getting too high... the more people do this and end up in institutions the less competition will be out there when looking for that choice apartment...

The world needs a radical cleansing solution, I thought it was going to be SARs or Bird Flu - but this'll do.... get all your loony friends to do it as well and then when you are dribbling your soup down your chin for the next 40+ years waiting for your next upper from the nice nurses you will have some company...
Vrythramax
erlendhg wrote:
Vrythramax wrote:

Yes, but be honest I couldn't handle t.
jylan
I think that the guy who started this topic might have been joking Confused I just sought of suspected it after I read his second post...
divinitywolf
i personally would be scared of doing it. What if something went wrong. Would there be a chance of dying? Although the feeling of it would be very fascinating. I think i'll stick to meditating and i might start up a martial arts but i'm not sure i have time to. I have an interest in Zen and might look into that along side my meditation but i might not be able to do martial arts. H

Hmm trepanning. Is there really any proof of it enlightening a person or could it just be some scientific answer of something effecting you.
Vrythramax
I know a .44 bullet can really open your mind....but the results are devastating.

Maybe a Pre-Frontal Lobotomy is more in order? Laughing
Vrythramax
I think this topic has run it's course.

-closed-