FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Personalization of Profile Pages?

What do you think?
Good idea
68%
 68%  [ 11 ]
Bad idea
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
Useless idea
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Don't care, but want to vote anyway.
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 16

ocalhoun
Perhaps it would be good to have more personalization in the profile pages?
Nothing too fancy, but give people the ability to change the colors and design to some extent, and make it more like an 'about me' web page than a page of information about that person.

Naturally, some things would be mandatory to have in the profile, but some freedom in the design of it would give users something to be proud of, and a way to express themselves.

It doesn't need to be very complex; if people want anything very fancy, they can use their hosting account to make a complete website. I'm talking about basic HTML editing at most, without the ability to run scripts on that page.
truespeed
I saw a mod for this on phpbb3,the pages looked like myspace,i think if its possible to adapt it to phpbb2 it would be a good idea.
Bondings
Yes, I am planning to make this. It will be on a different url and publicly visible.
sabe
Personal profile?....

There are enough personal sites. If you want to pollute this and your computers with personal ads & chat, just call it my space and be done with it. Confused
Bockman
sabe i don't think you understood the idea of that personalized profile page. Guess you'll have to wait till it's ready to understand it's purpose then...

And even then, if you don't want to, just don't use it.

Be well Cool
InsanePL
Maybe just make profile on divs and set random css for everyone, and give us a possiblity to upoad our .css file to change the look Smile
GSIS
It's not something I would feel any need to use.

I'm sure there is a shed-load of other stuff to do that would take a far higher priority.
tidruG
This is already being coded as we speak.
It's not quite exactly what you were expecting, but you still get to extend your default profiles quite a bit.
SoFly
tidruG wrote:
This is already being coded as we speak.
It's not quite exactly what you were expecting, but you still get to extend your default profiles quite a bit.

Ya, but is there an option like insane`s said.
Custom CSS ?

I think custom CSS is the best idea for profile pages for example, check digital-industry profile pages, If you add custom CSS ppl can trade stylesheets at marketplace so new users can get some frih$ for the beggining Smile

But don`t add any stuff like mp3 players cuz it`s sux Smile
Bondings
It will only be a minimal page at first. Profile information, links to latest posts/topics (or similar) and some descriptions/text.

There are problems with a custom css feature and I don't think that is a good idea.

Different styles and more personalization are planned, but not from the start.

About html, definitely not. Text will be either clear text or formatted as forum posts (bbcode/smilies).

@sabe, about the ads, as you might have noticed I removed most (if not all) ads for members. It will probably be the same for other parts of this website, like the user pages - unless I change my mind someday. About chat, I have no intentions at all to provide that on Frihost - no worries.
Marston
I dunno, personally I have alot of contempt for websites like MySpace...
Bondings
Marston wrote:

You already have a profile and I don't think it bothers you. Wink A bit more information and features are always useful and you definitely don't have to use it if you don't want to. It can sometimes be interesting to know something about the other members and most people simply won't search for it in the introduction (and other) forums.

MySpace is how I don't want it to look like.
tidruG
If Frihost becomes anything like Myspace, I'll quit :P

Anyway, I am not much in favour of custom CSS either. Maybe at a later stage, you could incorporate options on layout and colours, though...
ainieas
Hey can we also have something like names of the last ten profile visitors and also the total number of profile visitors till date. I dunno but i kinda find the tab-on-profile-visitors thing very alluring.
tidruG
I'm not too sure about it, but I really doubt that feature is likely to be there... at least not in the near future.
furtasacra
Bondings wrote:
Marston wrote:

You already have a profile and I don't think it bothers you. Wink A bit more information and features are always useful and you definitely don't have to use it if you don't want to. It can sometimes be interesting to know something about the other members and most people simply won't search for it in the introduction (and other) forums.

MySpace is how I don't want it to look like.

I agree, I would hate to see Frihost get all MySpace-y. Yecchh.

That said, I would actually like a LITTLE bit of customization in the profiles -- like several (non garish!!) pre-set color schemes to choose from, and maybe the option to select a different typeface.

All I know is if I start seeing Frihost blogs and user profiles with sparkly animated bunny rabbits hopping across them, or flashing neon polka dot backgrounds, I swear I'll scream loud enough for Bondings to hear me all the way in Belgium! Laughing
fortune
I think your guys must put gender section in your profile manager.
Then we can who is woman and man!

Here is the MOD.
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=467168