FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Dow Closing above 14000?

Talk2Tom11
When do you think the Dow Jones will actually close above 14000? Could it be today (7/18/07). The Dow has already passed 14000 during inter-day trading. But has not yet closed at it. Some experts feel it might take until the end of the year for it to finally happen. What are your thoughts?
crdowner
The experts were wrong. The Dow closed over 14,000 in late July. Of course a few days later it dropped around 300 points. Looks like it may take a while to get back to 14,000.
deStructuralized
Boy do I love day traders.

"We're almost at 14,000 oh my god, buy buy buy buy!"
"I made 20 cents, time to sell, sell, sell, sell!"
"Guys wait it's coming down a little, sell, sell, sell"

Brilliant.
scrub
Hi all,

I'm figuring the Dow has maxed out and will never 14,000 again...I have very little experience watching the economic and financial markets (let alone investing in them!), but based on my reading about peak oil over the last few years, and dabbling in reading about how an interest-based economic system requires constant growth (provided up til now by cheap energy from fossil fuels)...I wonder whether the rather quick drop from 14,000 to 13,000 points to the house of cards beginning to collapse.

The market works in mysterious (to me!) ways, so I won't be too surprised if the Dow shoots right back up to 14,000 and keeps going. But I know that sooner or later the growth will end and we'll see a financial meltdown. It's just so hard to predict exactly when! :)

Have fun out there,
Scrub
Billy Hill
scrub wrote:

I'm figuring the Dow has maxed out and will never 14,000 again...I
I'm pretty sure it will.

Quote:
have very little experience watching the economic and financial markets (let alone investing in them!), but based on my reading about peak oil over the last few years, and dabbling in reading about how an interest-based economic system requires constant growth (provided up til now by cheap energy from fossil fuels)...I wonder whether the rather quick drop from 14,000 to 13,000 points to the house of cards beginning to collapse.

It's been a long needed adjustment. It will likely come down more before it goes up. As for peak oil, Canada is is ready to take on the entire northern hemisphere to stake a large claim in the North Pole region.

Quote:

The market works in mysterious (to me!) ways, so I won't be too surprised if the Dow shoots right back up to 14,000 and keeps going. But I know that sooner or later the growth will end and we'll see a financial meltdown. It's just so hard to predict exactly when! Smile

Nice to see you covering all the bases. You can never be wrong if you never make a decision, can you? Wink
scrub
Billy Hill wrote:
scrub wrote:

I'm figuring the Dow has maxed out and will never 14,000 again...I
I'm pretty sure it will.

You may be right! Interesting watching the market's response to the fed cut...before the cut happened I saw predictions that a half point cut would send the stock market off on an orgyastic party, but that within a few days the big investors would sell out, tanking the market again. I feel very curious to see what does unfold over the next week!

Billy Hill wrote:

It's been a long needed adjustment. It will likely come down more before it goes up. As for peak oil, Canada is is ready to take on the entire northern hemisphere to stake a large claim in the North Pole region.

Do you know of any hard numbers on oil reserves in that region? I have heard about the ironic scramble to exploit the areas we're opening up through climate change, but haven't heard anything about how much oil may become available.

Billy Hill wrote:

Nice to see you covering all the bases. You can never be wrong if you never make a decision, can you? :wink:

Aha, you noticed! :) I don't know enough about this subject to really take a stance, so I feel content to just throw out my opinion as the under-informed wild-ass-guess that it is. :)

Scrub
scrub
Hey Billy Hill,

Looks like you were right about seeing 14,000 again, since we just did, briefly! Like I said, I find the whole stock market too unpredictable for me to be able to guess at exactly what short-term trends will unfold. But I feel certain that within the medium term (5-10 years) we'll see a major collapse and melt-down...maybe not to the point where the economic system totally ceases to operate, but at least to the point where everyone feels a lot of pain and realizes TSHTF.

Another bad day today for the DOW...but coming off of 14,000 again the DOW still sits pretty high, not even back down yet to the 13,000 mark we discussed a couple of months ago.

What entertainment!

Scrub