FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

RED HAT LINUX

viraj
Hi,

I have partitioned my system in two parts one with ext partition and other with ntfs partition. I have installed red hat linux in one and win xp in other.

Red Hat can mount the ntfs partition as read only. Can any one suggest me how to access this partition in r/w mode.

Thanks,

Viraj
{name here}
viraj wrote:
Hi,

I have partitioned my system in two parts one with ext partition and other with ntfs partition. I have installed red hat linux in one and win xp in other.

Red Hat can mount the ntfs partition as read only. Can any one suggest me how to access this partition in r/w mode.

Thanks,

Viraj

Due to Microsoft's patents, there aren't any free(price) open source programs which can write to NTFS. There are a few professional applications and drivers that can do this, but I only know the MS-DOS versions. There is one that is for Linux. However I do not recall its name.
JayBee
I thing, I have kernell support for read/write accesing NTFS
qscomputing
Yes, the Kernel does have NTFS-writing support BUT it is not yet stable; if you enable it you risk trashing your disk.
mehulved
Use ntfs-3g, it's quite stable for writing to NTFS partitions.
On ubuntu there's a package called ntfs-config available which makes it very simple to configure. Check your package manager for which ones are available.
Surely install ntfs-3g, and optionally ntfs-config, if available.
Then you have to add/edit an entry reguarding your ntfs partition in /etc/fstab file. It should go something like this
[code]/dev/sda1 /mnt/ntfs ntfs-3g user,rw,umask=000 0 0
teko
mehulved wrote:
On ubuntu there's a package called ntfs-config available which makes it very simple to configure. Check your package manager for which ones are available.
Surely install ntfs-3g, and optionally ntfs-config, if available.
Then you have to add/edit an entry reguarding your ntfs partition in /etc/fstab file. It should go something like this
[code]/dev/sda1 /mnt/ntfs ntfs-3g user,rw,umask=000 0 0

I have this setup and haven´t noticed any problems. there is also software you can install on windows to see your ext partions too which is very handy as well if you are dual booting. You can get more info here:

http://www.fs-driver.org/index.html
bri4n5
mehulved wrote:

I'm using ntfs-3g with CentOS 5 (RHEL 5's Clon) and so far everything is ok, i can read/write to NTFS without problems.
fadirocks
bri4n5 wrote:
mehulved wrote:

I'm using ntfs-3g with CentOS 5 (RHEL 5's Clon) and so far everything is ok, i can read/write to NTFS without problems.

cool Smile

how about just sticking with FAT32, i know you lose some features but I have windows partition set to NTFS and whatever I like to share between linux and windows I have it in FAT32!

I'll wait for another confirmation about stability of ntfs writing with linux Very Happy
viraj
I have mounted fat32 partition. I can read and write on it using root login only.

What could be the possible problem????

I have tried putting other login in the same goroup as that of root and have allowed the premissions of read/write to the group also.

Let me know how to solve this issue.

I have Ubuntu Desktop Edition working.

Viraj
JayBee
viraj wrote:
I have mounted fat32 partition. I can read and write on it using root login only.

Problem is that fat32 is obsolete file system
- file size limitation
- no file rights management

http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm
shawkat
viraj wrote:

I have tried putting other login in the same goroup as that of root and have allowed the premissions of read/write to the group also.

Let me know how to solve this issue.

I have Ubuntu Desktop Edition working.

Viraj

How did you mount it ?
If you have record for that filesystem in /etc/fstab - look over it if there are options like umask and uid for this particular filesystem. Try to change (or add) umask=000.
Then do remount and see what happens

Update: have a look
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MountingWindowsPartitions
{name here}
fadirocks wrote:
bri4n5 wrote:
mehulved wrote:

cool Smile

how about just sticking with FAT32, i know you lose some features but I have windows partition set to NTFS and whatever I like to share between linux and windows I have it in FAT32!

I'll wait for another confirmation about stability of ntfs writing with linux Very Happy

I can't reccomend FAT32 if you're going to use it on a partition which is over about 30 GB or so. Keep this in mind when creating a FAT32 partition, or it's pretty much useless as 30 GB is about the limit of FAT32's efficency. Any larger and the system starts to get less efficient. For larger partitions over 30 GB NTFS is the way to go. Under this FAT32 has the upper hand in performance, though it is still a messy system prone to more fragmentation than NTFS, with other limits that wouldn't be that important if you're running a 10 year old computer or a BBS.

You could also use a driver to mount your Linux partition to Windows, and then transfer your files to Linux.
xbcd
captive project is actually supposed to be EXTREAMLY good. Catch, you have to have windows to legally use the software. But probably not an issue for a dual booter.
Sparky07
I had linux ubuntu for a while but decided to change back to windows so i backed up my files off ubuntu (pics, music etc.) on my mp3, when i put them on my windows xp, it wouldnt read it, they all turned up as 0kb files, but i could play the music on my mp3. Weird don't you think?
r2holdings
how do u upgrade a redhat distro if you dont have the right version cd? download the new version? what if the server apps break? how many % of breakage ?