FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Laptop - Choose your brand

Choose your Laptop brand
HP
11%
 11%  [ 5 ]
Fujitsu
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
DELL
29%
 29%  [ 13 ]
Sony
11%
 11%  [ 5 ]
Gateway
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Acer
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Apple
15%
 15%  [ 7 ]
Toshiba
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
IBM Lenovo
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Everex
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Compaq
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Samsung
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Aspire
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Others (Enroll your Choice as a Reply)
15%
 15%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 44

tempdbs
Hi all,

This thread is to choose your favuorite laptop based on the brand company.

You can choose poll option in which various brand are available.
If you still wanna to add ant info; Post as a reply......
So start now....... starting with me itself..!

I love Dell as I have owned it for my personal use.
Vrythramax
Moved to hardware and electronics

Please post in the proper forums.
Hammy
My laptop is HP .. It runs pritty smooth because i take good care of it Smile I've had it for over 2 years now.

Quote:
(CPU1) Intel® Pentium® M processor 1.60GHz @ 1596MHz (Quanta 3090 mainboard)
(RAM) 512MB, 101.39MB free
(HDDs) 37.2GB, 3.00GB free
(VGA2) Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family (128MB)
(OS) Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (SP2)
20h 43m 5s uptime, 2w 36m 48s uptime record

I'd like a new laptop tho, cause this one i lacking in HD space. Sad
Arnie
I didn't know Aspire was a brand... thought it was one of Acer's product lines?

Anyway can anyone shed some light on which brand usually has the best laptop casings, that don't easily get scratched / damaged etc.
william
I'm not much of a fan of any of those. Toshiba and IBM is pretty good on that list, but my two personal favorite companies are Sager and Asus. In the case of Sager, they're all just rebadged Compals and Clevos, thus I'm also a fan of those. I'm in the market for a laptop right now, and I'm going for a Sager notebook. I plan on placing the order soon. The prices are amazing. I don't understand why many don't buy notebooks from them.
Shewolf
I love my beautiful little macbook, and for all those laptops I've ever tried, nothing has yet come near to Apple's powerbooks, or macbook pros. They are neat, and handy, and they work better than anything I've ever had upon my lap. And, yes they also last for a while. My father had his powerbook for four years, but then he sort of dropped it on the floor. Well, nothing lasts forever Rolling Eyes
Tom7
Shewolf wrote:
then he sort of dropped it on the floor. Well, nothing lasts forever Rolling Eyes

Just dropped on the floor and it broke? I know somone with a powerbook, and they are extremely clumsy and constantly drop it, the laptop has been mostly free of problems. i would probably choose an apple, although the Sony laptops are quite nice ( i think).
tempdbs
Vrythramax wrote:
Moved to hardware and electronics

Please post in the proper forums.

@Max...!

First i've thought to be in that forum (Hardware and Electronics) only....
But after thinking in other way, I posted in Genral Chat...
Any how Thanks for moving it to the appropriate forum....

tempdbs Cool
internetjobs
i am using dell with windows vista, it is being good.
squeetox
I've got a Dell Inspiron 9400/E1705 and I love it. It was by far the cheapest thing I could get with its specs. I had a problem with it and they replaced the laptop leaving me the old one to transfer data for two weeks. Also there's lots of people with Dell laptops, so you always find people to help you for specific stuff.
j14fusion14
I picked a dell since that's is what I am using right now but if I had to chose it would be a mac because they tend to be more powerful and have more memory.
TheGeek
Dell is the best bang for the buck right now. I got a top of the line laptop from them in January of this year and I have only had 2 problems with it and they were all taken care of within 48 hours of me making the tech support call by their in home tech support. It's probably been the most wonderful experience with a computer company I have ever had and I deal with them all the time at my job.
fadirocks
wow I'm surprised that somebody voted for acer last time I checked them they were very badly designed (i.e. breaking the screen is super easy) anyways I voted for Apple because I felt liking Apples today Razz
socialoutcast
I voted for HP, cause my wife updated her old HP with I new HP, and HP makes some solid machines once you completely remove the promotional software that comes with 'em.

I myself just bought an ASUS F3T serious laptop. I love it. best part about it is dedicated graphics memoryv(256MB worth), most other laptops use shared memory for graphic processing.
snicker
My vote goes to Sony, I love my good old vaio... Wink but in the future, whenever I will have to change, it will be Apple Wink
kizarop
Personally I would NOT recommend Acer laptops , they are designed in that way that something in this machine will be not working day after your warranty have gone. Very Happy Voted for Sony - for internals Razz
ganesh
At the time of this posting, an overwhelming 38% of the people have voted for Dell laptops.

IMHO, Dell has got an extensive range of laptops satisfying the price-performance ratios and features required by the busy office-goer as well as the on-the-go gamer. I have myself owned a Dell laptop since October 2005, and I haven't had as many problems as my other friends who own laptops from other manufacturers.

The downside of the HP models is that their displays are very unreliable, while the heat dissipation in Toshiba models is a major issue. These are the two closest competitors to Dell in the US market as far as I know for the PC-laptop area.

Apple iMacs are a different story altogether. Those are for the performance and aesthetics minded guys who don't mind shelling out money for the same! Not many people in that category, but I guess Apple is happy enough to have its own niche in the notebook market, though it might lose out in the eventual numbers game.
orcaz
I like Sony VAIOs, coz they are much visually appealing. HP is nt bad too, but i dun really like dell tho...
bulek
I am proud owner of Dell. I own it almost for two years now and I still works like a charm for me. My next laptop will also probably be Dell or maybe Sony Vaio.
corey
After seeing what Linux seems to run on the easiest and what seems to last, I was looking at Dells, as IBM/Lenovo is still a bit more expensive for the specs. After Dell committed to support Linux, I have to say that Dell is my choice
dz9c
IM a big fan of Sony Vaio's . They are awesome
virre
I have a Dell Latitude C400 or something like that, I bought second hand last december.

Then I hapend to thread on it (no kiding.) So the screen broke, no trouble there as I had an monitor anyway.

So then some weeks ago, the thing didn't start up, it just gave a harddrive 0 not found error and went cachug cachug.

I'm afraid the harddrive is toast (I hope not, I hadn't baked up about 500 rows of php code from it, and some novells I written).

Otherwise I would have gone Dell as it has been a good functioning computer and playing around well with Debian GNU\Linux too.
psycosquirrel
Dell for home use.

IBM / Lenovo for workplace use.

Look at the new "Vostro" line of Dells. They are outstanding. They come with no crappy add-on software, only the basic Windows install. Their specs are amazing for the price too.
tempdbs
Yesterday only I got my brand new Dell Vostro 1500 series Laptop from overseas.

As compared with all the brands, It was Awesome, Pretty looking and Very cheap with the lastest configurations...
ForceRun
I'm not a fan of laptops, you have to pay twice as much for half the power of a desktop. And it is a lot easier to upgrade a desktop setup. Laptops are good for school work, but for any thing else I prefer my desktop.
DarkAkira
I have to agree with Shewolf and go with Apple.

As far as laptops go, Apple Laptops are defiantly WAYYYY more bang for the buck. I only paid $1350 for my Core 2 Duo MacBook (white), and it runs better than every other laptop I have ever used/owned including a:

Dell XPS (17")
Toshiba Satellite (old and new models)
Dell Inspiron E1505
Dell Latitude
IBM Thinkpad
A Few NEW HP models

It just seems to get the most battery life, it is by far the smallest laptop of all the ones I have ever used, lightweight, and it has the most features packed into it including:

wireless-n
Gigabit ethernet
SATA HDD
Firewire
USB 2.0
MagSafe power connector
Magnetic Cover (no clips to close it)
Security Lock
Mini-DVI port
BlueTooth 2.0

And a few others. It is nice and I love my MacBook.

Sure The MacBook (white or Black) can't run all games due to its video limits (Intel GMA950), but it does do the best with it. I get amazing FPS with it (especially for being integrated with 64MB shared).

If you want gaming with all features and bigger screen, get a MacBook Pro. It has a real video card in them, and runs even more amazing than MacBook.

And to anyone wondering, I have hated apple computers/OS's up until 10.4.6 of OSX, so I am not a die hard Apple fan that is just trying to convert people.

(^.^)
Arnie
Er. 802.11n ("wireless-n") doesn't even exist yet, there's only 802.11n DRAFT available. Not even on the holy MacBooks there is official 802.11n...
DarkAkira
I realize n is still draft.

But they do still come with it, and Draft N still works MUCH better than G.
desertwind
I own a Compaq Presario V6000z series Lappy powered by

AMD Turion X2 64 bit Processor
1 GB RAM
100 GB HDD
and more....
myrevolt
I'm 99% positive that I'm going for a Clevo D900C rebranded as a Sager NP9260 which is $1,174 cheaper (as I have configured) than the Alienware m9750 (a rebranded D900C). To understand this you need to understand the concept of ODMs, of which a great explanation is available here (a somewhat biased source) and wikipedia (not a necessarily trusted source either but take it with a grain of salt if you must). I have also found the wealth of knowledge on the notebookreview forums invaluable. Best of luck tempdbs at whatever it is you are trying to accomplish (I'm not entirely sure if you are simply polling us or are trying to determine what notebook/laptop brand you should purchase).

Oh and in case you are wondering:
Intel Core 2 Duo (2nd gen "core" akin to "pentium" and 2x1 cores) E6700 (2.66GHz)
1xNvdia 7950gtx w/ 512mb gddr3 (sli is too expensive for what it's worth)
4gb 667mhz ram (you will only see 2-3gb on typical 32-bit OSes)
2x160gb SATA-300 HDDs
etc.

and yes ForceRun you certainly get more "bang for your buck" with desktops (especially if you assemble the components yourself) but you know sometimes you have to pay the price for portability, even if it is a desktop-replacement Rolling Eyes
tempdbs
myrevolt wrote:
I'm 99% positive that I'm going for a Clevo D900C rebranded as a Sager NP9260 which is $1,174 cheaper (as I have configured) than the Alienware m9750 (a rebranded D900C).

Oh and in case you are wondering:
Intel Core 2 Duo (2nd gen "core" akin to "pentium" and 2x1 cores) E6700 (2.66GHz)
1xNvdia 7950gtx w/ 512mb gddr3 (sli is too expensive for what it's worth)
4gb 667mhz ram (you will only see 2-3gb on typical 32-bit OSes)
2x160gb SATA-300 HDDs
etc.

Oh It's Awesome price and comparitively very cheap.. and I was astonished by seeing your price... Let me know where you have ordered and reviews for this Desktop.

myrevolt wrote:

Best of luck tempdbs at whatever it is you are trying to accomplish (I'm not entirely sure if you are simply polling us or are trying to determine what notebook/laptop brand you should purchase).

Thanks myrevolt and hope this thread helps all the foregoing buyers.
zinitine
I've had my Apple MacBook Pro for almost a year now, and it still runs as well as the day I bought it. I haven't changed a thing on it. Except it's got two scratches now. Sad I've dropped it and it's gotten some rought usage (at school). It runs everything from games to OpenOffice like a breeze.

And no, I'm not one of the diehard Apple fans either, I just really like my laptop.
william
myrevolt wrote:
I'm 99% positive that I'm going for a Clevo D900C rebranded as a Sager NP9260 which is $1,174 cheaper (as I have configured) than the Alienware m9750 (a rebranded D900C). To understand this you need to understand the concept of ODMs, of which a great explanation is available here (a somewhat biased source) and wikipedia (not a necessarily trusted source either but take it with a grain of salt if you must). I have also found the wealth of knowledge on the notebookreview forums invaluable.

Excellent. I, being a Sager fan, am glad to see someone else getting one. I recently ordered a Sager myself (still waiting for it). The way the notebook industry works is quite something. Sager, unlike other brands, sells the same notebooks notebooks as other brands at prices that make sense.

Also, I should point out that the Clevo D900C/901C is the most powerful notebook one can get right now. I remember reading somewhere that it accomplished a 3DMark06 over 10000. Shocked It may seem you have to pay a huge premium to get it, until you see Sager's prices. Very Happy
dmystic
I really like xxodd computers, or custombuild.... but im shocked.... 11 votes for DELL.... dell is slow, non-overcloccable, expensive, u are forced to buy an os with it, however its not a big point anymore becouse u can choose ubuntu.... but i dont really like dell....
DarkAkira
dmystic wrote:
I really like xxodd computers, or custombuild.... but im shocked.... 11 votes for DELL.... dell is slow, non-overcloccable, expensive, u are forced to buy an os with it, however its not a big point anymore becouse u can choose ubuntu.... but i dont really like dell....

Actually. Dell has gotten infinitesimally better with its laptops. They are now one of the best companies for them.
dmystic
ahhh, i misread, its for laptops brands.... then custombuild is a bit hard....
qscomputing
I use a Dell and I am reasonably happy with it. Everything works well in Linux, only complaint is that the hardware isn't very durable on the particular model I am using. But there are other Dells that are better in terms or durability.
tempdbs
Quote:
the hardware isn't very durable on the particular model I am using

Whats the DELL model that you are using currently... as you have some hardware probs.
tahoestyle
Well I currently have the Asus G2P after a few months of deciding I came across some info about notebooks:
“Virtually none of the “Name” brands manufacture their own laptops, with the about the only exception being Asus. Instead they buy their laptops from what is called an Original Design Manufacturer (ODM). These ODMs sell their computers to several different OEMs (like DELL, Toshiba, Lenovo (formerly IBM), HP, Compaq, Sager, PowerPro, Sony and many others) who then install the Hard Drive (usually a Seagate, Fujitsu, Hitachi or Toshiba), an Intel or AMD Processor, and System Memory. They then put their label on it and market it.

For example:

An ODM named Clevo makes the Sager NP9890 and the Alienware Area-51 m7700, the Voodoo Envy u:703, the Hypersonic Aviator EX7, the Falcon Northwest FragBook DR 6800, and they are all the same computer (although Sager usually has the more advanced and exotic technology).

Of course the Sager models have a much sweeter price tag!

An ODM named Compal makes some of the DELL, Hewlett Packard and Compaq line of laptops, among others, as well as the PowerPro L 8:15 (Built on Compal HEL80).

ASUS, famous worldwide for their top quality motherboards and other components makes their own laptops and call them their “Ensemble” line. They also sell their “Built-on-ASUS” line to many different OEMs including PowerNotebooks.com. These models are the PowerNotebooks.com PowerPro A 2:24 (Built on ASUS 96J), the Crown R 6:22 (Built on ASUS Z92Km), the PowerPro P 2:14 (Built on ASUS Z62F), and the Crown C 3:15 (Built on ASUS Z33Ae).

The Dell Latitude and the Sony Vaio are made by Quanta, who also makes many of the IBM laptops, and the now-discontinued PowerPro C 3:16, and the new PowerPro G 3:14 (Built on Quanta SW1). Quanta is well known as one of the best and highest quality laptop ODM in the world.

Other ODM names are Mitac, FIC, AOpen, and Uniwill, among others. Not exactly what you would call “Name” brands, and yet it is their laptops that end up with the “Name” brands on them.

Well, you get the idea.

Some call this the “Dirty little secret of the Laptop Industry”. “
ForceRun
Yeah I know there is an added price for Laptop due to size and function. I'm looking into get a Laptop for school use only. Any ideas? Power doesn't matter, just want the hardware to be dependable, not come loaded with a bunch of crapy apps, or at least allow me to reinstall the system so it is clean, and above all cost. I am just a poor student, all be money goes to food, and my gaming rig, lol.
jackill
Dell rox, in my opinion it's now high-end and Apple-like quality Smile I have latest Inspiron 1420 in white color Smile Looks like Mac Book Pro Very Happy
ammonkc
My First laptop was a Dell Inspiron back in college. then I upgraded to an Apple PowerBook G4 and never looked back. Now I'm working with a MacBook Pro.
tempdbs
Friends,

What is the performance of Lenova from IBM.. Any hardware issues with this...?

Just share....
DarkAkira
I want to get a MacBook Pro.

My MacBook (white) is great, but for my latest projects I need something with a little more Power.