FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Reading SD card through printer

Tony The Tiger
My Brother MFC 420 CN all-in-one printer is connected to my Hewlett Packard Pavillion DV9000T laptop via a USB 2.0 cable. I use Windows Vista Home Premium Edition. Yesterday was the first time I downloaded from my digital camera's (Canon Powershot A620 model) SD card to my laptop from my printer. From the camera downloading 320 MB of video would have take about 20 or 30 seconds. It took 16:30 from the printer SD reader even though both are connected via USB 2.0 connections. What gives?
friuser
the answer is simple. while now adays most printers use usb... they really are version 1.1 versus version 2 speeds. when you are connecting through two systems the speed will be reduced somewhat. usb2 doesn't guarantee lightning speed. i have a 1gb usb drive and with a few thousand files in the drive... a transfer also takes a very long time. also when i transfer files from my canon, a direct transfer from sd drive is quicker than a usb connection.
ForceRun
Even with 2.0 USB flash drives take awhile to transfer big files. If you want faster transfers you have to shop around and read some reviews, there are only a hand full a fast flash drives out there. I was looking a little while back, and just got the basic newegg brand for my thumb, and for my SD card I just bought the cheapest one because I don't care about its speed.
Tony The Tiger
friuser wrote:
the answer is simple. while now adays most printers use usb... they really are version 1.1 versus version 2 speeds. when you are connecting through two systems the speed will be reduced somewhat. . .

How can I tell if a printer has a 2.0 connection. It seems that this should be an advertising point. If I were selling a printer and it had a 2.0 connection and all other printers read information at 1.1 I would advertise it.
dz9c
Tony The Tiger wrote:
friuser wrote:
the answer is simple. while now adays most printers use usb... they really are version 1.1 versus version 2 speeds. when you are connecting through two systems the speed will be reduced somewhat. . .

How can I tell if a printer has a 2.0 connection. It seems that this should be an advertising point. If I were selling a printer and it had a 2.0 connection and all other printers read information at 1.1 I would advertise it.

maybe di some research on ur printer by looking up the make and model number..
Tony The Tiger
dz9c wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:
friuser wrote:

My printer is a Brother MFC 420 CN purchased about 2 years ago. My computer is a Hewlett Packard Pavillion DV9000T purchased about 6 months ago. I use Windows Vista Home Premium.
dmystic
Tony The Tiger wrote:
dz9c wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:
friuser wrote:

My printer is a Brother MFC 420 CN purchased about 2 years ago. My computer is a Hewlett Packard Pavillion DV9000T purchased about 6 months ago. I use Windows Vista Home Premium.

using google always works.... this link

is one of the links i found with google.... according to that it really got usb2.... but it can be that the integrated card reader is just crappy.... if you want it fast, it could be smart to buy an internal card reader, attached with ide or sata.... its not expensive, and most of the times much faster...
Tony The Tiger
dmystic wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:
dz9c wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:
friuser wrote:

using google always works.... this link

is one of the links i found with google.... according to that it really got usb2.... but it can be that the integrated card reader is just crappy.... if you want it fast, it could be smart to buy an internal card reader, attached with ide or sata.... its not expensive, and most of the times much faster...

That connectivity information is the connection between the printer and the computer. That does not describe the speed of the slot in the printer and how fast they read cards when connected to a computer. Although my printer is connected on a 2.0 cable to my computer just like my camera is, twhen I put the SD card in the slot on the printer it is multiples slower than when I put the SD card in the camera and read it from the printer. Maybe I was not clear before. I am well aware that I am using 2.0 cables in either case. the problem is the interface between the SD and the device it is in when connected by 2.0 cables to my computer. I hope you are now better able to understand my problem and assist me.