FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

NEPAL!

annapurnatraders
LANDLOCK COUNTRY

Nepal, home to Mount Everest, is dominated by the world's most imposing mountains. Although the country is relatively small (147,181 square kilometers), 80 percent of its territory is occupied by the dramatic peaks of the Himalayas. Nepal was closed to foreign visitors until1951, a situation which contributed greatly to its mystique in the west. This small, hospitable country has since become an exceptionally popular destination for travelers, whether they are in search of climbing challenges or spiritual enlightenment.

The Himalayas stretch across the northern section of Nepal. Eight of the ten highest peaks in the world are located here, and most are covered with permanent snowfields. The area is sparsely populated, with little vegetation above the tree-line (4,200 meters).

The climate varies considerably with elevation. May to October is monsoon season, when rain soaks the Terai and snow falls on the Himalayan peaks. Mid-October to mid-December is prime mountaineering weather: the skies are clear and sunny, temperatures range from warm in the lowlands to crisp in the mountains. March and April are also good months for mountain treks, although temperatures in Kathmandu and the Terai tend to be steamy.

Nepal's 18 million inhabitants belong to dozens of different ethnic groups. They can be divided roughly into Hindu peoples and Buddhists, who live in mountain villages close to Tibet. Hindus, who make up 90 percent of the population, dominate political and religious life. But Buddhism has a special connection to Nepal: Siddhartha Gautama, who was later revered as the Buddha, was born in the Terai in 543 BC. Perhaps the most well-known Buddhist ethnic group are the Sherpa(tibetans), who have long been associated with Himalayan mountaineering expeditions.

In Nepal lies innumerable places of breathtaking scenic beauty and an abundant variety of life. There are, in all, 6500 species of plant life which includes hundreds of exotic orchids, rhododendron and the beautiful Himalayan Blue Poppy. Over 800 species of birds have been recorded; that is one- tenth of the variety found in the world. The elusive snow leopard up in the high Himalaya and the ferocious two-tonne rhino of the Terai are among the more than 180 species of mammals that inhabit the wilder side of the country.
Coclus
I really do want to travel there one day..
annapurnatraders
you will never regret. Should visit once in your lifetime.

Let me know , if you need help with anything.

Cheers,
Flarkis
wow....nepal...i would LOVE to stop by well im in asia this summer...but i dont have enough time.
annapurnatraders
FEB-MAR, or OCT- NOV is the best time to travel nepal with moderate temperature.
"Kathmandu" - capital - probably offers you as exotic and urban experience as you can get.

http://www.nepalhomepage.com/firstpage/

this above site has lot of answers.
smpmedia
What an amazing place
I did the Classic Everest Trek up the Kumbu Valley to Everets Base Camp
This is the journey that Sir Edmund Hillary did to climb the tallest Mountain in the World

We commenced our journey overland following the route of the first pioneers to Jiri a market town and the gateway to the Solu Kumbu region.

The first few days were a push up through the beautiful alpine region of Solu on our way to the mountain air strip at Lukla.

From Lukla we continued onwards amongst and alongside the regions famous inhabitants the legendary Sherpas. These hardy people have carved an existence since time immemorial from the frozen landscape.

Passing through Sherpa villages and Monasteries along the way to our destination, Kala Pattar.

From Kala Pattar there was outstanding views of Mt Everest along with Nuptse and Lhotse.

The journey back traces the trail to Lukla for our flight to Kathmandu or as an option take Co la Pass to the amazing Goykyo Lakes with a 15 km glacier to pass over.
annapurnatraders
my dad is a senior tour guide. I used to travel a lot with him when i was a kid. Though i have never done mountain climbing, i have done trekking, rafting a lot. Mountain flight is the best way you can view the range of himalaya (mountains).