FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Freelancing 'graphic designer'

annapurnatraders
looking for freelancing job in design field. Does anyone have good tips on how to get started.
KatanaSky
I am not entirely sure... however I think you can start (if you haven't already) by building your portfolio - organize the designs you've made in the past in a website so you are able to show your potential clients the kind of work you do.

I do graphic designing on the side - just as a hobby, I'm not sure if I'd have the patience to do it as a job though - good luck! Smile
annapurnatraders
thankyou
very much for the advise.

i have already started my freelance job through word of mouth.

takes a while to recognise individually in this big world.

ni
dcfive65ive
my brother was thinking about freelancing in designing but he doesnt know how to get started as well. he's currently building his own portfolio which he had since the beginning of his freshman year in junior college. Yes i believe that creating a portfolio which is like a resume will get you started.
b4r4t
Here You are

http://www.freelancedaddy.com/

This is a site about freelance ... I like it too (it isn't mine) ... hope It will help You Smile
annapurnatraders
anybody know where to get a 30day trial version for Photoshop Cs3. I tried couple of times, but it froze when it reach 99% download complete and automatically shutsdown.

help needed
urbanbuddha
Freelance graphic designer = worst than a starving artist. just kidding.

Actually, if you honestly want a career in the graphic design industry (its very competitive) there's a few tips you might want to know:

- Experience is key. Like all (cool) jobs requires experiences and most people need jobs to gain experience. So this paradox is never ending. So put in your resume how many years you've used a certain program, when you used it last and how proficient you are in it. It makes it easier for the hiring manager.

- Get an internship. Seriously, a couple months of "free" labour goes a long way since you gain experience, see what the industry is like and you get a lot of contacts. Networking is your best friend in this stage. Who knows, after you're done, you may get the job. A lot of jobs are usually given internally, meaning they'll look within the company and employee's contact before they reach the outside world.

I think those are the 2 key pieces of advice I can give especially if you want to turn it into a career sometime in your life. Though it really applies to almost any career. I know, I've experienced it after graduating from University.
ciureanuc
Quote:
... however I think you can start (if you haven't already) by building your portfolio - organize the designs you've made in the past in a website so you are able to show your potential clients the kind of work you do.

Yo!
If your portfolio is ok and you've got materials, check www.rofreelance.net and maybe you want to join FOR FREE. This is my website and anybody who want to enroll are welcomed... Smile Just send an e-mail and we will discuss about it... maybe you have few ideas to improve it! Smile
dacode
Hi !

Urbanbuddha's advices are very wise.
Do yourself a favor : try to join a freelance pool where you may get some works. It takes some time to reach some "quiet-big-for-a-man" projects, so experienced and respected freelancers might need you for some basic jobs. If you can reach that, it can provides you with enough cash flow to carry on. Unless, of course, you fish some big contracts straight from the start.

That way, you can work, earn money, learn, and still do what you like to do the way you want to.

If you cannot build your network it's gonna be very hard sooner or later.

Good luck !
annapurnatraders
dacode wrote:
Hi !

Urbanbuddha's advices are very wise.
Do yourself a favor : try to join a freelance pool where you may get some works. It takes some time to reach some "quiet-big-for-a-man" projects, so experienced and respected freelancers might need you for some basic jobs. If you can reach that, it can provides you with enough cash flow to carry on. Unless, of course, you fish some big contracts straight from the start.

That way, you can work, earn money, learn, and still do what you like to do the way you want to.

If you cannot build your network it's gonna be very hard sooner or later.

Good luck !

thanks for the advice
I have completed really good contract recently through word of mouth. And i am appointed for second big one. i am pretty happy with this site. I am very thankful to everyones' advise. Thankyou all.

XXX
annapurnatraders
hey guys,
thanks everyone. really appreciate.

I have recently doing some big project. design and printing jobs for postcards, biz cards, brouchers, flyers and some inserts.

i think this blog is really helpful. i am really liking this one.

XXX