FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Vegan! Ahhhhhhh

chrismen
I have recently become a vegan for various reasons I don't want to talk about here. But, I am finding it very hard to find good food to eat these days and am considering giving up my believes for the sake of my health. Does anybody know of some good things vegans can eat?

Here's some of mine:
Pasta with tomato or pesto sauce
Bread
Potato (fried, baked, etc.)
Fruits and Vegs
Soy milk

Your turn.
brokenadvice
Try corn and black bean salad. It's tastes very Mexican. It is

Corn,
Black beans,
Fresh cilantro,
Diced tomatoes,
And spices to taste

You can add chick peas and other bean types to change it up.

Enjoy!
meet in rio
Beans, tofu, vegetables, etc.

I know you were looking for healthy foods, but this is the most amazing chocolate cake recipe ever. I'm not vegan, but I would choose this over a regular cake any day:

Ingredients:
3 cups self-raising flour
2 cups white sugar
3/4 cup sieved unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups cold water
2 tsp white vinegar
2/3 cup vegetable oil

Method:
1. Mix all ingredients until smooth.
2. Cook at 175ēC (150ēC for a fan oven) in a greased, non-stick tin until a knife comes out clean. One big tin may take over an hour but little fairy cakes will bake far more quickly, so keep checking.
3. When cool, cream margarine, icing sugar and cocoa powder together to make buttercream, and smother the cake.

Seriously, it's amazing. My friend came up with the recipe and I will love her forever for it. The vinegar might seem strange, but it doesn't alter the taste at all and the vinegar/soda fizz gives the cake a wonderful texture. It keeps for a few days without going dry (thanks to the oil), but you should stick it in a tin if you want to keep it moist for longer. It crumbles quite easily, though, so let it cool down in the fridge for a bit before you take it out of the tin and ice it.
chrismen
@meet in rio

Thanks! I will certainly try that! When I said I was looking for good food, I meant good tasting not good for you so this is perfect. Very Happy
furtasacra
I more or less accidentally had a vegan burrito two days ago!

I had decided to have a bean-and-leftover grilled veggie burrito, when I discovered I had no cheese or sour cream... so I just put some guacamole in it, and ate it with lots of salsa and a green salad. It was actually very tasty. Surprisingly, I didn't miss the cheese, and I absolutely ADORE cheese. Cheese is dietary kryptonite, as far as I'm concerned!

There should be about a zillion websites out there with good vegan recipes. Try Epicurious.com, I've found some fantastic gourmet vegetarian recipes there, and they might have vegan recipes too. I have several vegetarian meals a week, just to lower my fat intake.
Afaceinthematrix
I thought vegans couldn't eat bread because it has eggs in it....
tijn01
My favorite vegan/vegetarian food is fallafel, it's delicious and you can buy it in the suupermarket in most place or at a health food shop. Its best fried with salad or in wraps...
Stir free vegetables is also a favorite, with brown rice... There are heaps of things....
furtasacra
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
I thought vegans couldn't eat bread because it has eggs in it....

Not all bread contains eggs. My favorite homemade bread recipe is just flour, water, yeast, and a little salt and sugar.
applejunk
I don't think its hard to find good vegan food nowadays...so many people are turning towards this practice that a lot of the restaurants have adopted to vegan needs. For example, you can substitute black beans or tofu for the hamburger patties in a lot of restaurants, and they still taste as good as the real thing =) If you really need help though, you could try asking Indian people what they eat. Most of them are Hindu which doesn't allow them to eat meat either, so I'm pretty sure they've got the whole vegan thing down xD
heartbeat
you can eat alghaes,soy tofu, seitan, tempeh, and lots of snacks made for vegans like sausages and hamburgers. also eat different kinds of mushrooms and dry fruits. Also dont forget about seeds!
MOST of your meals should include 60& whole cereals, 20% dry fruits 20% beans(any kind) and for the gourmet part you should include tofu or seitan or tempeh or soy or alghaes.
patasarriba
I am vegan, and feel like half of what I end up eating is Hummus. You can eat it with carrots and celery, pita bread, etc. You can make your own if you have a food processor or buy some pre-made in the supermarket. Baba gannouj (sp?) is almost as addictive, although check the ingredients label first because some brands throw eggs in. If you want something REALLY different, and would be willing to spend the time tracking ingredients down and cooking, try the Ethiopian dish mesir watt. (The spelling varies.) It's absolutely delicious, and I never get tired of it. If you're lucky enough to have an Ethiopian friend you can ask them to teach you to cook it, it's nearly always vegan and you can throw vegetables in. The one essential ingredient is berbere, a spice that can be hard to find outside of large cities but that can also be used with garbanzo beans, etc. If you're in the mood to keep experimenting with cuisines, try Ghanian food. (And beer, for that matter!) They've got plenty of fascinating vegan dishes. Bon appetit!
virre
patasarriba wrote:
The one essential ingredient is berbere, a spice that can be hard to find outside of large cities but that can also be used with garbanzo beans, etc. If you're in the mood to keep experimenting with cuisines, try Ghanian food. (And beer, for that matter!) They've got plenty of fascinating vegan dishes. Bon appetit!

Right, so that isn't the Bahko or whatever spice I have in the cabinet?

That one is nice to, although it says you have to cook things for two hours to do it....

I made a stew with Ladyfingers, Onions and Crushed Tomatos and that spice...

I recomend Ladyfingers, nice and not that usal bean (You grew tiered of the usal beans after 5 years)...

And please vegans, be sure to get B12 in your diet or in addition
furtasacra
applejunk wrote:
I don't think its hard to find good vegan food nowadays...so many people are turning towards this practice that a lot of the restaurants have adopted to vegan needs. For example, you can substitute black beans or tofu for the hamburger patties in a lot of restaurants, and they still taste as good as the real thing =)

You can say that again. And aside from being tasty, bean burgers generally have WAY fewer calories than a meat patty the same size.

Here's a good bean burger recipe that I got out of a magazine. I fed one to my ravenous carnivore. He looked a little confused at the first bite, and was a bit offended when I explained to him that it wasn't meat, but then he just shrugged and ate it anyway because it tasted good.

To make this vegan, just omit the cheese. Guacamole or thin slices of avocado make a tasty, creamy-textured substitute for cheese, as I found out accidentally. (See my earlier post in this thread.) And make sure there aren't eggs or dairy in the bread or bread crumbs.

"Mexican" Bean Burgers (serves 4)

Heat grill or broiler. In a skillet, cook 1/4 lb sliced mushrooms, in 1 tbsp oil, 6 min. In a bowl, combine mushrooms, 1 can (15.5 oz.) black beans, rinsed, drained, and lightly mashed; 1/4 cup minced onion; 1/4 cup bread crumbs; 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro; 1 chipotle in adobo, chopped; 1/2 tsp. cumin; and 1/2 tsp. steak seasoning. Form into 4 patties, and place on greased rack. Grill 4 minutes, turning once. Top patties with 1/2 cup salsa and 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese and cook one more minute. Serve patties on toasted whole-grain bread or buns.

Give this a try, they're really quite good!
furtasacra
chrismen wrote:
I have recently become a vegan for various reasons I don't want to talk about here. But, I am finding it very hard to find good food to eat these days and am considering giving up my believes for the sake of my health. Does anybody know of some good things vegans can eat?

Here's some of mine:
Bread
Fruits and Vegs
Soy milk

Your turn.

I stumbled over a website with about a zillion vegan recipes, and they look good.

http://www.catteacorner.com/recipes.htm
patasarriba
Oh, I forgot to mention... pasta with tomato sauce is vegan! And it's the best dinner in the world. Also, you can make your own vegan pizza if you get a pre-made crust that you just have to bake. Cheese substitutes are available all over the place now, and vegan pepperoni is extremely tasty. You can also add mushrooms or olives or whatever.

And another option, if you can't find anything where you live but would be willing to do mail order, is:

http://healthy-eating.com/
sopetite
I tried going vegan once and I felt woozy after a couple of weeks. Is it because of the lack of meat?
heartbeat
maybe lack of living meat Wink No, maybe it is because you missed important foods that even out the lack of meat. you must eat 20% dry fruits, 60% whole or semi-whole cereals and 20 % all types of beans to get the necessary proteins. Alghaes also very important they are very rich in a large number of important nutrients! try these delicious burgers.

Kombu alghae
2 cups whole rice
tofu 500g

heat up the oven at 120-150
when hot, put the dry alghaes inside and take them out when they are really crispy(5-10min), not burnt though.. so cover it or leave it far from the heat sources. Meanwhile cook the rice as you normally would to come out dry. Separately triturate 500g of tofu. mix the tofu whith the rice in a bowl and add the alghae by crushing it in your hands turning it to pieces and dust into the mix. mix it all, make burgers with the mixture and put them in the oven or fry them whatever. DELICIOUS and good for you (if not fried of course!) Wink

hey petite, I have been vegetarian for 8 years, vegan for 4 now, alive and kickin. hard Wink

Ps: Finally its cheaper to be vegetarian in my country, vegetarian food wasn't correctly considered in Portugal, it was charged over it 21% tax instead of 5% as the normal food, until Now! Check your country law about that ! Im curious!
HealingHands5
There are so many and varied food groups to chose from.

1. Tofu - has 3 times the calcium found in all other meats
2. It's very versatile, in that it takes on the flavor of whatever you want it to.
Sweet n' Sour Tofu
Slice 1 pack of Tofu (any brand) - extra firm
into thin slices
add 1 tsp. parsley flakes
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. italian seasoning
1 tbp. chopped eskellion or onions
1 cup pineapple chunks
1/2 cup of bell peppers red yellow or green cubed
1/2 cup sweet 'n sour sauce

combine all spices and rub gently unto tofu
add 4 tbp. virgin olive oil to skillet and heat until medium hot
take out and set aside oninon or eskellion pieces
add tofu peices to oil and brown until golden on both sides
add oninon or eskellion to oil and saute
add peppers, pineapple and tofu and combine all
spoon sauce over mixture, and simmer over low heat for 8 to 10 minutes
serve with boiled rice or pasta - serves 6
Idea
icecool
i live in the gambia, west africa and i know alot of vegans here - not by choice but because they can't afford the meat or even fish.
the most important thing for you is to make sure you still get your protein - all pulses are good for that. beans, lentils peas - they are dozen of varieties around these days.
then get yourself stocked up on herbs and spices - look at the oriental rack in your supermarket.
go down the grocery isle - fruit, veggies and salads.. mmmmmmmmm
when you get home, hit either google or yahooo and look for vegan cook books or recepies - there are a number of vegan societies about with their own websites and tons of suggestions.

good luck and stay healthy.

cheers
redace
I'm not a vegan nor a vegetarian, but one of my most favourite food is gruel with some fruit, honey and cacao powder on it. It will give you a lot of energy and it is easy to do:)

chrismen wrote:

Here's some of mine:
Bread
Fruits and Vegs
Soy milk

Your turn.
PANTONEPIRATE
try growing your own fungi Smile
there are so many types of mushrooms and a lot of them taste realy different.
redace
chrismen wrote:

Here's some of mine:
Bread
Fruits and Vegs
Soy milk

Your turn.

There is a lot of legume like beans that could be prepared very tastitly.
watersoul
I've been veggie for 8 years now, but for the first 18 months i was also vegan.
It was really hard, having to eat lots of different nuts, beans and soy, pulses etc just to keep protein levels up. I cracked when I went traveling around Asia and was served food in a rural place which had egg mixed up in it - it would have been a bigger crime to me throwing food away than consuming it so I ate up, got the taste again, and went back to stealing from animals - milk/eggs.
If you live in a reasonably urban place then the market is full of dairy replacements these days so it shouldn't be too hard to create pretend omnivore food, just check the health food shops.
Walk the path thats true to you, but don't let your own health suffer if you can't find the alternatives. Smile
Yantaal
sopetite wrote:
I tried going vegan once and I felt woozy after a couple of weeks. Is it because of the lack of meat?

it could be lots of things. lots pf people go through different reactions, some feel ill because of all the meaty toxins etc leaving your body, if you keep at it and make sure your eatinhg properly then you should be back to your normal self or even better in no time at all.

but back to the point. tbh i miss meat, alot, so lots of the food i eat is made by Frys. they have made these foods that taste so good even my meat eating girlfriend likes it. Its contains proteins and has a texture so close to meat its uncanny, but maybe thats because i havent eaten meat in years now. but then again, lots of vegans disagree with this because of the resemblance to meat. naturally i eat lots of salad, lots of fruit, pasta with various sauces, rice with special sauces and vegetables init, non egg noodles with sweet and sour sauce and bits of fake chicken in it. toast and pure spread which is basically the same as butter, soya yogurts, coco pops are vegan funnily enough, frusli bars, (yes i do eat honey) most crisps are ok, but always read the ingredients.

The biggets thing is to always read the ingredients, even if you have had iot before as people do change recipies. good luck to you.
thadnation
your diet doens't need to change too much. basically replace meat and eggs with tofu and soy milk. non dairy cheese isn't too bad. make sure you take it slow, though. I tried to be vegan, but for convenience have settled for vegetarian.
takashiro
I don't think it very good for health to be a vegan, as mankinds have already been used to eating both meat and vegetables. However, it seems that more and more people prefer meat to vegetables, which I consider as a bad habit. Very Happy I prefer "a balanced diet" without bitter food like a balsam pear.
Do you all know a balsam pear? I guess it doesn't appear on western tables while many Chinese like it(except children, who always like sweets).
Yantaal
takashiro wrote:
I don't think it very good for health to be a vegan, as mankinds have already been used to eating both meat and vegetables. However, it seems that more and more people prefer meat to vegetables, which I consider as a bad habit. Very Happy I prefer "a balanced diet" without bitter food like a balsam pear.
Do you all know a balsam pear? I guess it doesn't appear on western tables while many Chinese like it(except children, who always like sweets).

dont you mean that every has always preferd meat, but now more and more people are turning vegetarian and to a more extreme level vegan?

And I, along with countless others are living proof that you dont need meat to be healthy and happy. Smile