FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

this cant be right

dz9c
This must be a bug or something but all the programs and such that i run on my computer say my pentium 4 550 3.4 ghz processor has 2 cores... when i do task manager and i go to the performance tab there are two graphs.. one for each core. but pentiums 4's only have one core im pretty dang sure. can u explain this??
fadirocks
what OS are you using?
if you want to have proper info use Knoppix on CD http://knoppix.net/ when you boot on that it will tell tons of info about hardware!

Anyways check your bootup screen too also try to access BIOS you can get some info there!

next post PLEASE provide more info so we can give you better suggestions Razz
orcaz
Does your Pentium 4 processor support hyperthreading?
mystzero
If your Pentium 4 supports hyperthreading, it is normal as hyperthreading tricks the operating system into thinking that there are two logical cores. However, the number of physical cores still stays the same which is one. Another example would be Pentium Extreme Edition (Presler core) which Windows will detect it as having 4 cores (2 logical cores and 2 physical cores).
dz9c
Ah yes it does support hyperthreading. Now i get it thank you. Does this provide a performance boost with programs or games that utilize 2 cores?
fadirocks
dz9c wrote:
Ah yes it does support hyperthreading. Now i get it thank you. Does this provide a performance boost with programs or games that utilize 2 cores?

usually more programs play nicer with that

for multicore there are reported problems with games however for hyperthreading because it's already been up there if you patch up your game nicely many games will take advantage of that but don't take my word for it, check on the game's site for more info about using hyperthreading

because for some games you might need to turn it off