FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Opion's and help needed! <-- Lol.

munkey_boy
I currently have a desktop computer which I am thinking of fixing up a bit, heres where you come in! Razz

Ok so it is a:
AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Socket A (426)
512MB of DDR RAM
Jetway V600DAP/V600DA
And a video card so old your dad would probably remember. (Or you if you are about 25+) lol

Anyway, I wanted to know what was the best CPU I could put in it and if I would need to buy more DDR ram or could I sell this RAM and replace it with DDR2. Smile
Helios
How much can you spend?
munkey_boy
I'm just trying to get some general information on it and then work out prices. But I don't want to upgrade the whole thing. Razz
dz9c
After reviewing the motherboard specs, (http://www.ciao.co.uk/Jetway_V600DAP__5738509) I must suggest you get a whole new computer in general. That motherboard is a socket A and they are so old they are no longer sold on tigeridirect or newegg.

What is your main use for a computer? Gaming, office, photo editing, audio, video editing, gaming, etc.?
What is your price range?
munkey_boy
I found out that about $500 is my MAXIMUM price, hence the reason I'm not buying a new computer. Razz

Edit:
PALiT GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit DDR3, AGP 8X Interface, DVI, TV-Out $220.00

Corsair Value Select 512MB PC-3200 (400MHz) DDRAM $60.00

I am going to add them to my computer. I am also going to purchase a AMD Athlon XP/MP 3200+. But I don't know where to get one in Australia, but I have seen a few on eBay. I have emailed a store asking if they sell them and since today is Sunday I am going to have to wait until tomorrow to get a reply.
fadirocks
munkey_boy wrote:
I found out that about $500 is my MAXIMUM price, hence the reason I'm not buying a new computer. Razz

Edit:
PALiT GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit DDR3, AGP 8X Interface, DVI, TV-Out $220.00

Corsair Value Select 512MB PC-3200 (400MHz) DDRAM $60.00

I am going to add them to my computer. I am also going to purchase a AMD Athlon XP/MP 3200+. But I don't know where to get one in Australia, but I have seen a few on eBay. I have emailed a store asking if they sell them and since today is Sunday I am going to have to wait until tomorrow to get a reply.

I seriously wouldn't spend a penny on that computer unless something broken then i would buy a used part to fix it

You're seriously can spend about $800 for totally new great system because your mobo is old doesn't support many things such as PCIe, faster RAM, SATA2 & more so umm total waste of money if you're trying to upgrade, just make it a good linux server or nice workstation for your mother or sister
munkey_boy
fadirocks wrote:

You're seriously can spend about $800 for totally new great system because your mobo is old doesn't support many things such as PCIe, faster RAM, SATA2 & more so umm total waste of money if you're trying to upgrade, just make it a good linux server or nice workstation for your mother or sister

Actually if I was too buy a whole new computer I would save up and spend about one and a half thousand and build a very decent gaming machine. And since I am not old enough to get a job yet my mother is going to fund this small upgrade. She is going to give me $500 in a week or two.
dz9c
EVEN with 500 dollars you can build a great machine way better than the one you have now but you dont want to do that so dont know what to tell you.

OKay i just built a pc at newegg for 485 after shipping. Its dual core, 2gb of ddr2 dual channel memory, 7900 gs 256mb gddr3 256-bit graphics card, 250 gb sata hard drive, decent mid-tower case with 550- watt psu with 23 amps on 12v rail meaning it will poweer the 7900 gs perfectly, and kickass dvd/cd burner combo drive with lightscribe.

UNDER 500 BEANS... you cant beat that my friend. let me know if ur interested in the exact parts and i will show u so u kno wut to buy
fadirocks
dz9c wrote:
EVEN with 500 dollars you can build a great machine way better than the one you have now but you dont want to do that so dont know what to tell you.

I agree

for not having a job well I guess you need to wait and get little bit more money! Patience is a key to success! Don't spend the $500 on the old machine you'll regret it I know from my experience even if you get it into a decent working condition, you'll get problems every few weeks because its parts will start breaking on you

also to get a kicka$$ videocard on it well you probably need to get a new power supply too because your current powersupply probably can't handle new vid-card also you're going to bottleneck your videocard with your old processor, slow Harddrive, slow RAM, ..etc

Also if you look on pricewatch.com you'll always find that upper CPU speeds for certain Socket or Slot almost always more expensive than a faster CPU with new slot for example it's cheaper to buy AMD am2 over 939
$59.00 - athlon 64 x2 3800 am2 (newer socket model)
$69.99 - athlon 64 x2 3800 939 (older socket model)
Right now it's great time to build new computer thanks to AMD battle against Intel on prices!

You don't believe that's ok do little research on prices and compare by yourself and you can find a decent combo of parts at good price

Cheers m8 Smile
munkey_boy
dz9c wrote:
OKay i just built a pc at newegg for 485 after shipping. Its dual core, 2gb of ddr2 dual channel memory, 7900 gs 256mb gddr3 256-bit graphics card, 250 gb sata hard drive, decent mid-tower case with 550- watt psu with 23 amps on 12v rail meaning it will poweer the 7900 gs perfectly, and kickass dvd/cd burner combo drive with lightscribe.

UNDER 500 BEANS... you cant beat that my friend. let me know if ur interested in the exact parts and i will show u so u kno wut to buy

Is that in US Dollars? Coz I live in Australia...

Also I am interested to know the exact parts. Add me on MSN if ya got it. Wink\

Edit: Ok, I just built this PC from www.photech.com.au

Quote:
ABIT IP-95 VIA P4M890, 1066MHz FSB, DDR2 533 or DDR 400, Integrated VGA, PCIE x16, SATA, LAN, 6-Ch,$79

AMD AM2 Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Dual Core CPU (65W Version), 2.2Ghz, 2 x 512KB L2 Cache, Stepping F2 $155

G.Skill F2-5300CL5S-1GBNJ (1GB x 1) PC2-5300 (DDR2-667) 5-5-5-15 $99

PALiT GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit DDR3, PCI-Express 16x Interface, DVI, TV-Out $175

LG GSA-H42N 18x Super Multi DVD Rewriter - Beige $52.00

iCute 500W ATX Power Supply - SATA & 6pin PCI-Express connector $45.00

= $605

What do you think and will it all work?

EDIT:

Ok, minus the PSU as I found out the 320W PSU I already have in the case will work for it.

A couple changes:
Quote:
Asus M2N8-VMX $65 (MSY)

AMD Athlon 64 AM2 x2 4400+ $115

2G Kit-667(2x1G) Kingston $109

256MB 8600GT Generic $144

Pioneer SATA 18x 212D Beige $50

Ritmo PS2 Slim Multi-Media Keyboard $7

Some Monitor $20

= $510

I found a store which is alot better than PhoTech, it is called MSY Computers. Their site is www.msy.com.au and their prices are really cheap. Their site puts you off but I heard lots of good things about them. When I get the cash I'll print that off and go to their store.
fadirocks
Well i was talking about $USD so I converted prices they're pretty good

320W might barely work if you only install 1 HD, 1 DVDburner, 0 fans, and umm that's about it (or you might even damage your processor and lose everything so totally against it)

I recommend to get at least 450W and on the safe side get 500W
With 450W, you can have 2 sticks of RAM, 2 HDs, 2 DVDburners, 4 fans, few USB connections and that's pretty good Very Happy
munkey_boy
Thanks man. I will defiantly get a PSU.

Edit: Ok, I am getting a 550W PSU for $25.

Also, about a week and a few days till I can finally buy this stuff. Razz