FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Guitar Softwares

deemon
Hello people. I have recently purchased an electic guitar but I could not afford to buy an amplifier. So now I have connected my guitar to my pc and using the speakers as amplifier.
I wanted to know any softwares with distortion effects that could make the sound of my guitar dirty.
Twisted Evil
SimonWSTS
There are several pieces of guitar effects software out there.

If you want to pay for it (and pay a lot) get Native Instruments guitar rig which is actually the best software going... However as you didn't have the money for an amp I'm guessing you're going with free or cheap software.

http://guitarfx.net Is the site of a software package that at least does a free trial, I forget if it's totally free or not but I'm positive it would be cheap anyway. There are many many user uploaded presets available on the web too.

GuitarFXbox is another piece of software that is very good and has all the multi-effects you could want but has a price to pay (not huge though)

My personal favourite would be RT player pro by DSound, this has virtual stomp boxes you can bring up on your screen meaning you can set parameters as if you'd spent all teh money buying the effects pedals. Again this is not free but oh well.

Of course for any of this software one might be tempted to download a copy from a file sharing program but this of course would be illegal and I cannot endourse such activity on frihost).
Bengt
If you want to use your computer for it, Guitar Rig is what you are looking for.
It's like guitar player's heaven Very Happy
Try it and love it. But of course, hardware pedalboards are a bit easier to use i think, you do all the things manual with buttons etc.
froginabox
Guitar rig is excellent, but if you couldn't afford to buy a regular amp, you most likely won't be able to afford that either!!

You might be good just using free trials of the above mentioned programs until you have the money saved to get a real amp.

The software I would suggest is called Amplitube. It is made by a company called IK Multimedia. They have a plugin version to interface with VST, RAS, all those formats, as well as a stand-alone version that works quite well (called Amplitube Live if I remember correctly).
Crosser
I have tried guitar softwares but there is always audio latency involved. Is that the case with everyone?
Is there any better software with distortion and zero latency?
Besides latency I believe that guitar softwares are very good for producing various effects like wah wah and reverb.
datter
I totally concur with Guitar Rig as being a good choice. I've used it, and another called Amplitube both plugged into Guitar Tracks 3 Pro for recording and although Amplitube is pretty good, Guitar Rig wins hands down.

As for the latency issue, I've heard a lot of people having trouble with it (play a note and you don't hear it out of your computer for a second later or so) but I haven't had that trouble for some reason. I rigged up a 1/4 inch jack on the front of my system, from which a wire runs to the back and a standard 1/8 inch plug. I then plug that into the line-in on my old Soundblaster Live card. My guitar of course, plugs into the 1/4 inch in the front.

From there I fire up Guitar Tracks 3 Pro and initialize Guitar Rig as a plug-in through that and I'm good to go.

It's a perfect set up for me, but it's just a hobby... I don't think I could take my set up on the road or anything. Smile

datter
The Mitchell
Crosser wrote:
I have tried guitar softwares but there is always audio latency involved. Is that the case with everyone?
Is there any better software with distortion and zero latency?
Besides latency I believe that guitar softwares are very good for producing various effects like wah wah and reverb.

the software is not generally the problem. what sort of hardware are you using. This is more than likely where your latency will come from. I spent 400 on a professional quality soundcard to eliminate this problem. many cheaper soundcards tend to have a lot of latency though as.. well.. they are cheap although this doesnt mean you have to spend 400 there are plenty of good low latency cards. Look for something with a lower latency than 23milliseconds. The human brain has a latency of this amount so if your input and output latency is less than 23ms overall then you wont hear the delay There is no such thing as zero latency. Also you will find items such as pitchshifters such as the digitech whammys etc have a latency as well. This is because the pitchshifting process cannot be done in an analogue way (withoutusing delays which will still give a latency of sorts) therefore they must use some sort of digital conversion process and the time taken to process the pitch then gives latency.