FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Chessboard! Rare?

reddishblue
Recently I uncovered a chessboard that my grandfather bought around 30 years ago, I think it's Chinese or Japanese and I am unable to find any images of another one on the internet, I was wondering if anyone here had seen anything like it.
It also doubles as a backgammon board, and it has pieces that look like they are not the original ones, pretty crappy ones.
Here are some pictures:

Anyone seen anything like it?

Reddish
ocalhoun
There's no company names or marks anywhere on it, are there?
Perhaps on the inside edge, hidden when it is folded open?

Any little design on it could be the mark of whoever made it, which would be a great clue towards finding out about it.
reddishblue
Thanks!
I looked at the place you said, and carved into it it said.

Nyngme Vietnam
Catdang
Pxhai 12.73

When googled Nyngme gives no results, and Catdang is a region of Vietnam. I have no idea what pxhai means, and I have never heard of Vietnam making chess boards.

I suppose this means it was made in December 1973.

Reddish
ocalhoun
^Well, at least you now know where and when it was made...

My next step would be to find a Vietnamese person, and ask him/her if they recognize Nyngme or Pxhai.
Molle
Wow! That was a extreamly nice chessboard... My dad have one that looks wery much like it, but that's bought in China... and it's not exactly the same type. I wish I coukd show you a picture, but I haven't got it Wink

But do you know if the chessboard is mayde in a factory, or made bye hand?
dlseven777
That is a very nice looking chessboard. Maybe it was hand crafted from a friend of the family? Could explain you can find anymore info on it. Regardless I do believe you have a treasure. Are the original pieces still intact as well?
Katarinae
I know someone who's Vietnamese. I'll ask him the next time I see him, possibly tonight or tomorrow and post the results here.
crimson_aria
wow, that's really a unique chessboard. and very nice too.