FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Staying up late

erlendhg
Hi there Smile
Now I'm sitting up at nearly 6 am programming on my sudoku program.
You might think that I have stood up really, really early, but I have been awoke all night, programming.
...and I am under 16!!

Any other fellow geeks experiencing the same in the summer holidays?
JBotAlan
Yes; same thing here, except I'm working on an object recognition system for my robot. No, seriously!

http://www.falconir.com

I'm working on getting that to work. The camera sensor does not want to play nicely with the Spartan board I'm using... Mad

And I can't seem to stop waiting for Woot to update--1:00AM EST... Laughing

JBot
Dean_The_Great
Ah, yes. The good ol' days of mid-teenage hood.

Hope you guys are enjoying yourselves and your computers. I remember the days playing Diablo II all night long, completely inversing my sleep schedule.

It's not surprising that you're sixteen either, because if you're any older than that, you probably don't have the time.

But anyway, enjoy it while it lasts, cause then you'll have summer jobs, then eventually a real job that doesn't allow you to do that... unless of course you want to be a zombie at work... which who knows? That may be your choice.
Hobbit
I'm doing that as well. I don't program though, I'm building an empire.
Zombie
im up late playing runescape +P, and i have a job... im not a zombie at it either, i just drink alot of red bull
Aless
RedBull's terrible for you, but then again, no one at that age really seems to mind screwing up their body.
Hammy
Im not doing anything at all in the holidays, which is why i ind it difficult to sleep at night because i still have lots of energy. Usually only last untill the end of the night tho and i fall asleep i nthe morning and sleep thru the day. kinda annoying i sopose.

Also im mainly up because i have things to do, and it better to do them at night when its peacful, calming and nothing to distract you. Like i trying to get my website site, but i cant in the day because too many other things are happening around me Sad. Soo yup i'm not getting much sleep at all.
munkey_boy
Aless wrote:
no one at that age really seems to mind screwing up their body.

Ah ha ha you are so right.

In the holidays I stay up to about 3:00 am on average and maybe a little later if need be. I LAN quite a bit and they are like 18 hours of sitting down in front of a computer shoveling my face with junk food, luckily I don't get fat easily.

Average schedule for a day at home:
9-10 AM - Wake up.
10-11 AM - Drink coffee, eat breakfast and watch TV.
11 AM - Go onto my computer.
3:00 AM - Go to bed if I am starting to feel tired.
3-3:15 AM - Wonder why I went to bed so early then fall asleep.
Vrythramax
I'm in the Frihost IRC channel all night it's about 4:20am here now and I won't leave for another few hours.
dray101
heaps of you said when you go to bed, but only one when they woke up.

What time do you guys get up?

Why not go to bed a little earlier and get up a little later, i know it's hard but I always get a better sleep when I go to bed before midnight rather than after, don't you? Rolling Eyes
zjosie729
My parents would never let me stay up so late. But if they're not around, I'd probably be up 72 hours programming things.
Zeferman
Well, I am programming most nights b ut not til that late, 7 javascripts so far Smile
woodenbrick
When I shared a flat with my brother we used to stay up till about 7am every night, watching movies, making films, chatting with my girlfriend on the internet etc. I also worked full time so it is possible! my work was generally 2pm-10pm so I would sleep from 7am until then.
pll
erlendhg wrote:
...and I am under 16!!

I am under 16 too!

Zombie wrote:
im up late playing runescape

I was doing like you 2 months ago! I was up late at about 6 AM playing runescape. I think such games (RPG) can make a lot of people staying up late. You don't want to go to sleep til' you achieve your goal, but there is always something to block you or unforseen things.

Red bull is bad for your health. Don't take it everyday.

dray101 wrote:
I always get a better sleep when I go to bed before midnight rather than after, don't you?

I also get a better sleep before midnight.
catscratches
I were up til 5 something last night. And, 4 or something the night before. And the night bef...
coolclay
I agree with Dray, whats the point in staying up and then sleeping all day. I usually go to bed around 10pm and then get up around 5 or 6am it works great, gives me plenty of time to do things (well all I do is work but) and I never get tired. I can't stand staying up late, its just stupid IMHO. Night time was meant for sleeping, and if your denying your body a normal sleep schedule you are stressing your body immensely.
carlokes
Hi there,

I still remember when I was sixteen (seven years ago) and during summer vacation, me and two more friends used to stay all night playing Diablo 2. Damn, what a craziness that was.
Nowadays, I usually don't pass the 4AM barrier but this time the game is WoW but the friends are still the same lol Smile

I have read some time ago that many teenagers from nowadays suffer from a mutation whicih doesn't allow them to naturally sleep in what people call "normal time"

I am going to search for that article once again and post a link to it later on if I find it.

Stay Cool.
Seiorai
Oh like Dean_The_Great, let's enjoy it while it lasts XD I'm currently 19...actually almost 20, but I still find time to lose nights from time to time +_+

Especially now in holidays, nothing but free time on my hands, so when I get tired of designing in Photoshop or cding I usually play Guild Wars or Resident Evil into the night Cool

...And about the time I get up, depends of 1: if I was awake all night, go to sleep around 3-4 am and wake around 11-12 am
2. If I listened to common sense and bio clock I go to sleep around 11pm-12am and wake up...9 am lol.
So some 8-9 hours of sleep necessary in holidays, all this free time must get me tired Razz
Fuzzy-Duck
Ahh, for it to be a good 5 years ago and for me to still be able to play Donkey Island all night long, then have a shower and go to uni!!

Those were the days!!

Now, it's midnight and I know I have to go to bed soon so I'll be able to get up for work! I don't want to, but I have to! Enjoy it while you can guys!

Cheers,
fuzzy
Master-of-Evilz
I too stay awake at late time but i will not be programming i will be working on my signatures or others signature requests or rarely doing something in Macromedia Flash.
silverdown
waz happenin?
I dunno felt like saying that I only stay up late when I can't sleep or have a video came or movie I wanna watch/play Very Happy STAY UP LATE .... then SLEEP ON! unless you gotta work then sucks to be you!
william
Ever since I've been really young, I've stayed up pretty late programming. It's usually when I'm programming a game or something in Linux. Other times, I'm just awake reading something related to science or philosophy. If I'm reading something I have a keen interest in, or if I can't get my nose out of the book, then I'll be up pretty late. However, the latest I'll ever stay up is 'til 3:30 AM. I'll usually get off my computer at 2:00 AM at the latest. Thing is, I love sleep. I can easily sleep 16 hours if I wanted to, and I enjoy it. Very Happy I just try to wake up before noon.
datter
I used to stay up working until 2 and 4am back when I was self emplouyed, but I just decided that I didn't want that lifestyle anymore. These days I work 9 to 5 and am in bed by midnight after doing whatever I want for the evening. Much happier this way. Smile
ninjakannon
erlendhg wrote:
You might think that I have stood up really, really early, but I have been awoke all night, programming.
...and I am under 16!!

I used to do exactly that a while ago! During school weeks I would go to bed at around 2AM normally. And at weekends and in holidays I would often stay up 'till 5AM, or perhaps 6, 7 or very occasionally later.

And I did programming, once I even worked on a Sudoku game! Unfortunately, my internet now goes off at 10:30PM every day so I can't browse the net late at night. I used to talk to people a lot on msn late at night (had some great conversations too, after all less people were online (aside from those I know in other countries) so the few who were actually online would respond more quickly.

I've found that it's better for your body to go to bed before midnight. Yes, I say with confidence: "your". This is because from my experience now most people I know and have spoken to find a regular sleeping pattern with a 'sensible' bed time feel much better.
I still love to stay up late though, I just do it less often. The thing is I still stay up to around 2AM these days quite commonly. I know this is very different to the 6AM bed times I got used to. I hope to get extend the time the internet stays on for soon, but that may not happen.
vonboy
ya, in the summer i usually stay up till like 4 in the moring then get up around noon. the only thing i'm worried about is that in about 3 weeks i'm gonna start band marching camp, and thats gonna be hell on my softened up body (well, it was pretty soft to begin with Embarassed )
squirrelmaster
ninjakannon wrote:

....Unfortunately, my internet now goes off at 10:30PM every day so I can't browse the net late at night......

What ISP would do that???

I know my dad cuts off my brother's internet with the router, so he doesn't stay up, but I don't think that is the case for you (just guessing tho) Razz

and

vonboy wrote:
ya, in the summer i usually stay up till like 4 in the moring then get up around noon. the only thing i'm worried about is that in about 3 weeks i'm gonna start band marching camp, and thats gonna be hell on my softened up body (well, it was pretty soft to begin with Embarassed )

I'm starting marching camp too Very Happy on July 31st we begin at 7am, I am not looking forward to the incoming freshman, but I am now a senior so I can kick their butts in line Twisted Evil
hlavco
The latest I've ever stayed up was 6am, and that was for our school's All Night Party. Latest I've done otherwise was five. Lately I've been going to bed around 1am.
Tatsumaru
Bless summer holidays, I can go to bed late and wake up decently-late. I'm keeping it normal though, I go to bed around 0:00 Laughing
ninjakannon
squirrelmaster wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:

....Unfortunately, my internet now goes off at 10:30PM every day so I can't browse the net late at night......

I know my dad cuts off my brother's internet with the router, so he doesn't stay up, but I don't think that is the case for you (just guessing tho) Razz

I wrote it like it was the ISP that cut the net (makes me sound less like a child, heh Razz), but actually it's the router that switches off. My dad set that up. Good thing is that no one in the house has net after 10:30PM, so if anyone else wants to use the net then my dad has to go switch it back on again... and I get it too! Very Happy
munkey_boy
If the computer is in your room, so he can't physically make sure your not on the net, I'm sure if you done some Googling you could easily fix that.
jeremyyak
I stay up till I fall asleep, thats how it works for me Confused
Playing WoW, Runescape, or programming something to who knows what hour of the next day later.
I drink energy drinks, the cheaper the better Very Happy
~Jeremy~
arkebuzer
due to my work (waking up at 4am) I cant stay up too late.. and I have no vacation planned this year either... so wont be too much late nights for me for a long time.
Since all good movies usually start at 9pm on TV, I tend to stay up to around 11:30 pm though. Dont get much sleep... but its hard to motivate oneself to go to sleep earlier, even thought I know I wont get much sleep.
Been doing this for many months now, and I avarage about 5 hours of sleep/night :S
J-Evil
I stay up until about 4:00 in the morning but thats only when I've had too much caffeine in my system after drinking a 2 liter of coke :$
vonboy
cool. i usually drink coke zero to keep me up. and on some nights i can drink more then a two liter bottle of that stuff Shocked .
Ghost Rider103
Pretty much the same thing with me.

I have been staying up for quite a long time doing some graphic work, and working on my new website.

There has been many times where I stay up over 24hours trying to get work done. But sleeping can be kind of boring sometimes, and I would just rather be out with friends or doing some graphics rather than sleeping, lol.
ninjakannon
munkey_boy wrote:
If the computer is in your room, so he can't physically make sure your not on the net, I'm sure if you done some Googling you could easily fix that.

My computer connects to the net via a wire that goes down to the router. When the both my computer and the router are on (and obviously the cable is plugged in at both ends) then there is a light on the router to show this. So my dad can easily see. The router switches off itself at 10:30PM and comes back on at 6:00AM. So no one in the house can use the internet during this period.

I do know how to switch the net back on, but then there are records of it saved on our login account on our ISP's website; my dad can obviously see this. Therefore, I can't turn it on again on a regular basis or he might notice. I also know that I could get a wireless adapter to connect without the light. But I would still have to turn the router on, and quite frankly I don't want to bother.
erlendhg
ninjakannon wrote:
squirrelmaster wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:

I wrote it like it was the ISP that cut the net (makes me sound less like a child, heh Razz), but actually it's the router that switches off. My dad set that up. Good thing is that no one in the house has net after 10:30PM, so if anyone else wants to use the net then my dad has to go switch it back on again... and I get it too! Very Happy

Ooh... That must be really annoying, or what?
Or maybe you are so used to it, that it doesn't matter?

Now that I am back from Oslo (where I could stay up late with my brother), I am also back to my parents regime, and must go to bed around 12 Sad Razz
sonicsight
Luckyliy if your computer is in your room, try to keep it quiet lol, that's what i do, but i get caught sometime alot cause my dad has to use the bathroom to pee rofl
Crazy_Canuck
Hobbit wrote:
I'm doing that as well. I don't program though, I'm building an empire.

Fantastic. I do that 9 to 5. Good luck with yours!
ninjakannon
erlendhg wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
squirrelmaster wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:

Ooh... That must be really annoying, or what?
Or maybe you are so used to it, that it doesn't matter?

It is REALLY annoying, especially if I'm just near the end of finishing something off and the net goes. I've been halfway through writing posts here on FriHost before and it's cut out. As you can tell, I push the time to its limits. Another annoying thing about it is that the timing isn't exactly correct - it's fast. So every day the net goes off a few seconds earlier than it did the day before. After a few weeks I'll have lost 5 minutes or so and it will go off at 10:25PM. And it just continues to get earlier, so I have to keep urging my dad to reset it.

I'm pretty used to it now though, I won't go and get in a flap if it goes off while I'm doing something because I know it's going to. But that doesn't stop me wishing it wasn't there. Razz
Utopia GFR
I used to act the same way back in my twenties when I played relentlessly videogames online like "Total Annihilation" and "Command & Conquer" Very Happy

Now that I'm a bit older and that I have to deal with various professional duties during daytime, I cannot afford going to bed so late.

My maximum time limit would be around 2.30 am but not further unless I really can't sleep or started some multiplayer gaming Very Happy

You might not feel all the negative aspects at such a young age but sure will when you grow older.

I believe it's a matter of finding the right compromise between good time management and lack of sleep resulting in "unwanted natural behaviors" often criticized by your immediate surroundings like your employers, family, friends and so on...
Josso
Dean_The_Great wrote:
Ah, yes. The good ol' days of mid-teenage hood.

Hope you guys are enjoying yourselves and your computers. I remember the days playing Diablo II all night long, completely inversing my sleep schedule.

It's not surprising that you're sixteen either, because if you're any older than that, you probably don't have the time.

But anyway, enjoy it while it lasts, cause then you'll have summer jobs, then eventually a real job that doesn't allow you to do that... unless of course you want to be a zombie at work... which who knows? That may be your choice.

Heh, I remember doing some pretty heavy Diablo II sessions back in the days as well.
jordi
I can only late to bed if my parents are away Razz
standready
I usually only get about two hours of sleep a night. Time to sleep varies as to how tried I am and how distracted but in general is from 2am to 4am. Many times my overseas customers forget about the time difference and wake or keep me up. Other times, while working on a project, I get so involved I just don't sleep. I have stayed up for forty-five hours straight before and it is not uncommon for me to go 30 hours without sleep at least once a month.
squirrelmaster
ninjakannon wrote:
squirrelmaster wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:

Oh, your dad actually unplugs it from power, wow. At least your dad lives by his own rules.... My dad just unplugs my brothers cable, while he stays up another hour or so Laughing (he says he just can't get to bed until he KNOWS that everyone is asleep then he goes to bed, I guess he just really HATES getting woke up by someone turning on a light in the kitchen etc.)

he would probably unplug mine too, but i know when to stop, and only sometimes go really over by 5 to 15 minutes, but never longer than that.
Kaisonic
My bed time literally ranges from 2 AM to 6 AM - including during schooltime. When I wake up depends on what I do the next day - usually noon if I have to work, otherwise about noon or later. I'm not an earlybird at all, and I'm averaging 10-12 hours of sleep a night. It feels pretty good.
ninjakannon
squirrelmaster wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
squirrelmaster wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:

Oh, your dad actually unplugs it from power, wow. At least your dad lives by his own rules.... My dad just unplugs my brothers cable, while he stays up another hour or so

Almost right, he's set up this device that cuts the power to the router automatically at a pre-set time. It's a little gadget that is plugged into the plug socket; the router is plugged into the gadget. Quite a handy thing really, but really easy to bypass... Just take it out and plug the router back into the socket. But I don't like to do that, aside from it being an abuse of trust it also shows up on our ISP's records.
otiscom
I used to stay up all night on my PC some years back.
But now I have set limits and prioritizes jobs I have to.
If you don't you might end up killing yourself!
darrenpaul
My problem is, I start to head to be at around 11, but its about 1am by the time I actually get into bed, because of exercises, I take the dog for a walk etc
Aiz
I have the worst habits when it comes to sleep. Usually, I stay up for 2 days in a row and then sleep for 5-15 hours. But when there's school, I always try to at least get 2 hours of sleep per night, if I can't even get that much, I'd just go without sleep and wait for the next night to come.

It's not that I don't need sleep, it's just that I usually get really sleepy at around 3-5 in the afternoon, but if I go to sleep then, I'd wake up at around midnight and be awake the whole night and then become extremely tired when I have to go to class in the morning. So, I keep telling myself to go to sleep at around 10pm, but I become pretty awake around midnight and I always push going to sleep back until, before I know it, it's 5am. T_T

I know my messed up sleeping habits will probably kill me one day. I especially hate the feeling of pressure on my heart and jitteriness when I stayed awake for too long, not to mention having to walk around like a zombie all day. But, I lack the self control to stick to a healthy schedule. Oh well, I'm already getting more sleep on average than when I was back in high school, so I guess I'll get even more as I get even older o.o;
bloodrider
Normally I go to the bed between 2am and 6 am. Before that, it's difficult to me to fall asleep.
For strange that this may appear (or not Razz) my productive period is between 22pm and 4am.
I read that some people have different "biological clock". Although the majority have a adrenaline charge up on early morning and in the middle afternoon, some people have this charge up in different periods.
Or maybe I just get used to this schedule and my body now is adapted (to well, lol)...
tom69
I have done already 5 night trough, playing RuneScape giving me more than 4million expierience in less then 4 days. Those who play RuneScape will understand,

But yeah I know what you're expieriencing Very Happy

Red eyes, coke, and a PC in front of you Very Happy
sondosia
I stay up late, but definitely not doing something as productive as programming. Very Happy

Sometimes, however, I write.

~Mimzy
joethebreakdown@yahoo.com
I can relate dude.

I'll spend 8 hours working on a a single header for my fansite... My creative thoughts usually come during night, so that's when I tend to Photoshop...

I get really bad headaches in the day though, and yeah. Staying up late is not healthy.
ninjakannon
joethebreakdown@yahoo.com wrote:
I'll spend 8 hours working on a a single header for my fansite... My creative thoughts usually come during night, so that's when I tend to Photoshop...

I get really bad headaches in the day though, and yeah. Staying up late is not healthy.

Maybe if you got a little (or perhaps a lot Razz) more sleep during the night - and made sure it was regular - then you would get more creative ideas during the day.

I've experienced both worlds now. I know what it's like to stay up until at least 6AM every day before going to bed and getting up from 10:30AM onwards. As well as this, I know what it's like to go to bed at 10:30PM every day and get up at 6:30AM (also the same bedtime with 8AM an wakeup time).

I found that when I went to bed before midnight and woke up around 7AM (every day for a long period) I felt much more: awake (well, obviously), attentive, stimulated, motivated, interested, interesting, energetic, amusing (as in I was funnier - made more jokes). I also found that I could concentrate far better and take in more, my memory improved and I was far less forgetful. I could have more intellectual conversations, read faster, think better / more clearly. The benefits were... well, endless. Yet I still had the urge to stay up late as I loved it so much. I've slipped again and I'm not feeling the benefits any more, so I'm going to endeavour to go to bed more early. I home you, and in fact most people here it seems, will at least try a 'normal' regulated sleep routine to see how it can affect them.
mstreet
I use to stay up really late on the computer and the first thing I would do when I woke up was check my email. Having a computer out of your room makes a difference. I think it's also priorities. As you can see my points are really low at the moment because I've been outside and not on my computer as much this summer. I also think it depends on what you do in your spare time if you love programming and determined to finish what you are making then all the more power to you.
Fake
I still stay up to watch WWE and play games on odd nights. Some nights it's just too hard to sleep
uuuuuu
It's interesting to me that the overwhelming majority of the responses I read are talking about staying up all night and going to sleep as, or just before, the sun rises.

The same thing is the case with me.

My schedule, when dictated by a routine like going to work or school in the morning, usually has me waking up some time between 6-7 am.

But if for some reason there is no routine to cause me to wake up at a set time, my schedule quickly shifts around the clock.

I'll stay up until 1, then 3, then 5, then later, sometimes going all the way around again.

The sun, and the schedules of other people, have very little influence on my sleeping schedule.

(I guess this will change very soon, I'm getting married.)

A question:

Why does this happen to some people?

If I'm camping, I always wake up to the sunrise. Or before.
ninjakannon
uuuuuu wrote:
Why does this happen to some people?

Before the invention of the electric light bulb far more people went to bed when it got too dark to see properly and woke up when it began to get light again. I know they had candles, oil lamps and such things but in general people stayed up to more sensible hours.
Now it's easy to flood your house with light and there are far more things to do during the night. Far more addictive things, often time-wasting. Computers, TVs, gaming consoles all give you endless enjoyment throughout the night when it's too dark to do much else. When televisions was first introduced no programs were aired during the night. Nowadays, people can just carry on with what they're doing through the night.
I'll point your attention to one thing though, I believe the majority of the people on this forum are teenagers (there have been posts about member's ages). So most people posting here are of roughly similar ages. Teenagers in more economically developed countries (MEDCs), including most of Europe, the Americas etcetera, are very technologically aware and typically use computers and such things more than the previous generation. Also note that many people on this forum will have similar patterns of computer usage (as most people come to FriHost for free hosting - so all either want or have a website and some experience in that field). Many members stay up late into the night just continuing with what they were doing before on the computer.

I believe more and more people will stay up into the small hours, but the older people get the less their bodies will be able to cope. So these patterns will stay with the younger people in society.

I don't claim to know everything about this, but that's my 2 cents on it.
gerpg
1.03am and i have school tommorow, when i actually realise the time I realise how much of a computer geek i am lol. oh well....

Louis.
hofodomo01
oh goodness, now that 6am-wakeup-for-school-days, Im up till 3am playing dota or something lol. a terrible cycle, it is....
filet
I stayed up late cause I'm having trouble to fall asleep only when I'm tired then I managed to sleep.
Vladalf
I'm in a game development team and we don't have much time to work in the daytime and we work at the night. We usually stay till 2-3am Razz .
divinitywolf
I go to bed not that late. Its usually about midnight each day and up about 8 ish so i get quite a lotta sleep.
Zug Zug
Ah I remember when I used to be able to stay up all night playing World of Warcraft, online poker, or just reading. My friends and I used to have Lan parties and what not. It was soooo much fun! But now I have a two year old....and she won't let me sleep in the day. She's lucky I love her!
jenice
I used to say up late back in the day. I could stay up for days at a time when I was a teenager. These days the latest I've stayed up on work night is midnight. If I'm not working, I can stay up to maybe 5am at the latest.
hilariouslicorice
yes!! i think that my mom worries about me Laughing
virre
I'm usaly up to about at least one am, or two or three depedning on what I have todo and such on.

As nights as this it might be a bit longer as I just come home from euro game tuesyday and a local gameing place (I.e boardgameing.) Tomorrow probably will be gameing too... as I get to know some other people that was intrested in that.

I'm usaly up at 8 or 9 am, I hate that sleeps loses my controll over life. But sometimes the body says no and I sleep long.

(And when I visit my girlfriend of 'course)
darrenpaul
I've been up for 4 days in a row now, till 4 fricken am! Its basically cos of work, but its 1:30am now and I don't fell tired, body clock must be adjusting
ennnzo
I do stay up till the morning (around 7) when I party or when I am with my cousin..
kiranaghor
I always try to go to bed before 11 but it never happens. I always something to explore on my laptop. I sure affects my day work but I cant think of a way to avoid working at night.
kosecc
I sometimes find myself staying up for over 29 hours, only to crash at around 5pm and not waking up until around 12pm the next day. I do a lot of artwork and writing. My mind is almost always active, coming up with new ideas for books, characters and plots. It's common. Most of my friends do the same. Just remember, to renew your sleep cycle, try to get to bed at a regular time, and set an alarm to wake you up at a suitable morning time, say, 7am. Soon, your internal clockwork will be fine tuned to this routine and you would ave no trouble getting a good night's rest. Quite frankly, it is better to work during the day than at night. Where I live, it is rather peaceful and quiet. I tend to sit in the back and draw.
jenice
kosecc wrote:
I sometimes find myself staying up for over 29 hours, only to crash at around 5pm and not waking up until around 12pm the next day. I do a lot of artwork and writing. My mind is almost always active, coming up with new ideas for books, characters and plots.

That's always been my problem. Even when I do sleep I wake up from vivid film-like dreams that I absolutely must record as the start of a new story, or as a development for some other one.

That habit came to an abrupt halt when I had to take up a regular job where I had to be up by 3am. But I carry around a journal with me that I can jot down notes, ideas, and sketches as I get them.
friuser
I did this when I was 16 as well but on dialup and playing a stupid mud game. I feel so embarassed now that I spent so much time on that but than it's not uncommon. Don't know if you ever seen 60 minutes on everquest addiction or addiction in general. You can develop a sleep disorder or worst affect the way you do in school. I would be careful but than I'm still up late at night and have energy problems during the day. Good luck to you as long as you enjoy it and know your limits and when to stop.
WhistleTurning
Never mind being a treanager staying up late. I am in my 60's and every third Friday I am up till 3 in the morning being a good solid citizen. My Church and those in the area run a Street pastors Scheme (a group who go out on the street to help those in trouble especially those who have had too much to drink etc) which tours the local bars and clubs from 10.30 pm till arround 3am. I am in charge of a team which stay at the base and open a coffe bar serving free tea, coffee and hot chocolate, to those who drop in. We have folk who are just wandering the streets, those who need to just just chill and we have hepled the homeless and injured by calling the appropriate agencies.
luce
I guess he manages this with the router, so you would have to hack in there to fix the problem.
Emmer-Compascuum
In the holidays, I have a fairly normal schedule. Otherwise, I'm up Mondays-Thursday until 1/2 AM, doing homework or 'stuff' behind my desk (which just happens to include a computer) and get a few hours of sleep before I wake up at 6 AM again to prepare for a new day at school. The other days of the week I either listen to a radio program until 3 AM or try to sleep a bit earlier (12 AM), although that's quite useless, as I don't seem to be able to fall asleep earlier than 1 AM.

Ah... The good old times which where free of homework and computers... :sigh:
tony
erlendhg wrote:
Hi there Smile
...and I am under 16!!

yup, yup. tonight will probably be a 5AM working on a real-time web-based ajax text translator.

good times Smile
FrightKnight
Yup I did that before. Awake for 52 hours just to finish a system due to be presented next week to the board of directors of a certain company here in the Philippines. It was hell, but after that, I feel great 'cause I did what the former seven developers couldn't do and I'm alone in that big project. Damn, I miss those days of hardship on that project.
Greatking
watching films, on the computer or reading. these are considered bad habits from where i come from but i enjoy doing this. its great. the air is cool, no disturbance. nobody distracting you. you would realize that the atmosphere is quite different from when its during day. when people have taken over the atmosphere. i stay up late some times to pray or chat on phone with my boyfreind. its wonderful. listening to music is one of the things i love doing whilst i am awake.
Fanghai
I stay up late but I don't do that much programming. TV is definitely the way to go.
pll
Zombie wrote:
im up late playing runescape +P, and i have a job... im not a zombie at it either, i just drink alot of red bull

Yeah, but why are you drinking a lot of red bull?
Maybe because YOUR A ZOMBIE AT IT. If you weren'T you would go to sleep right now.

If you had no job to do tomorrow I'd say go for it all night !
I already spent tons of nights on world of warcraft and Runescape too but never when I had job/school the day after.

One day, I spent ALL NIGHT long on runescape and I didn't sleep a minute during this night... The day after was hard but I still continued to play all day and at 19 O'clock I went to bed and slept til' 15 o'clock the day after.

Never I will do that again!
Burzy
ive been up till 4:30 am for the past few days , im slowly getting the hang of an nes rom editor for Metroid.

many long nights ahead of me too Razz
Burzy
[quote="pll"]
Zombie wrote:

reminds me of getting my 32k dragon kills in Ashen Empires to equip my Blood Drain Dagger :S
Wolf1918
Since I have had insomnia for years I also tend to be up all night and sleep a little later in the day. The last job I had worked well with that schedule though, since I started work at 5pm, got off at 2am and stayed up till 6 or 7 before going to bed.

I guess I'm just a 'night owl' or maybe a vampire, because when the sun would come up that's when I would get sleepy. Twisted Evil

Chad
goutha
In winter I go to bed at 10pm. But in summer it's hard to sleep early. I don't know what's the reason, but I sleep at around mid-night.
deanhills
I love late hours. Even though it is really bad for me as we have long hours at work from 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Some of my best ideas usually surface during the late night hours and early morning. I frequently do all nighters, but of course have to pay for it a few days after. Smile
desonium
I hate it to stay up long. Might because I have to work every day of my vacation. Then I need to get out of my bed at 5:30 am. When you dont sleep before you are really broken that day Mad
soljarag
for the past year I usually go to bed around 3am.. however once i find a job I know that will change... I'll prolly go to bed at midnight
apple
I like working at night, its quiet. The hustle and bustle of the day is over and there are hardly any disturbances. If completely up to me, I'd work all night (until about 6-7am) and then sleep all day and restart work about 6-7pm
misterXY
Currently 5am, woke up 8am yesterday. Sims 3....... Got addicted.
raaeft1
The old adage is ``early to bed and early to rise''. But I never followed this because of my profession as a journalist which entailed my normally coming home late or if at home keeping track of news events or developments.
To keep myself awake, I watch satellite TV or do surfing. But now that I have turned 50, I find it a big strain on my health, especially eyes, to keep awake till late hours. Sometimes, I go off to sleep earlier than 1 a.m. leaving it to God to ensure that no untoward event happens.

Interestingly, my better half is angry that I don't go off to sleep by 10.30 p.m. or 11 p.m. She goes off to sleep early and she rises early too.
mtorregiani
I usually sleep like... 7 hours every day. I go to sleep around 11pm and I get up at around 6am. I'm always sleepy, I need to sleep more...
Ndogg
Im staying up till 4 am during summer! Im trying to stop but, everytime I want to go to bed, something else important happens then I jsut stay up longer!
pll
The summer is finally here !
it was the end of school party yesterday, I came back home at 6 o'clock and I slept until midday.

I'm tired but I had nothing planned for today so I will be okay!!

It was a crazy night for us in Quebec !
I couldnt wait for that night, but now its already past Sad
guissmo
When it's late at night, I can't think straight, so I usually end up brute-forcing stuff when debugging. Or, I sleep instead then think about it when I have enough sleep.

I think I'm part of the minority when it comes to this. Haha.
Raidation
Good to know there are other teens that are obsessed with programming like me. Smile

The only reason I wake up early and sleep late is because my partner is 16 hours behind me. Razz

Sleep at 1:00 and wake up at 5:30. Razz
nigam
i sleep late at 11pm then i woke up 6am.....
mwsupra
Ah, the days when I stayed up late and enjoyed it. Now that I have a 1 year old I stay up involuntarily and wish for sleep Razz

Have been staying up til 3am each night recently, although nothing compared to when I used to play Everquest back in the day staying up til 10am.
misterXY
l love reading about 16 yr old staying up. l had since about 15~about last year (lm 20 1/2) and used to stay up 24hrs, only a few naps. Programming, screwing with the pc, homework (physics, chem, etc), N. American football for 4 hour practices. l NEVER drank Redbull till l was 19. Redbull is terrible, but used too be hooked on Monster drinks. Also had 3 jobs + school at one point all across Edmonton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmonton,_Alberta). And guess what, l still don't sleep right lol. But ya, l smoke now too relax.
Denvis
Hmm... I think 4am was the latest I have ever been on the computer. MSN can be addicitive Sad
prithvi
Currently, I am working in second shift (afternoon - late night), so I do stay up late.

I return home around 1 am and work on my comp while watching a bit of TV etc. till around 3 am.
and I get up around 9.
apple
I still LOVE the night time, my best work (or really ANY work) is done after dark
ProfessorY91
Dean_The_Great wrote:
...But anyway, enjoy it while it lasts, cause then you'll have summer jobs, then eventually a real job that doesn't allow you to do that... unless of course you want to be a zombie at work... which who knows? That may be your choice.

I teach at a University for a summer job, real enough for you? I still have the time and endurance to play in an adult league soccer club, and pull all-nighters at least twice a week.

Y.
soljarag
i usually stay up until 3 am..... I usually watch the show "Redeye" at 2am

I try to get up by 10:30... but sometimes i sleep till 11:00-11:30 Smile

when i get a job its going to SUCK