FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

virtual machines

vln004
I've been doing some research about running some virtual machines on my linux box. There are a couple programs that i have my eye on. However, i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on which program to use.

i have my eye on the following:

virtual box (free)
Xen (free)

I'm only looking for open source or free programs..

thanks.
teko
I know its another OS but OpenSolaris has a feature called zones which allows you to run multiple OS's on the same box (solaris that is). However it also lets you set up a linux zone and is called brandz.

You could also try the Vmware player which is free to download and then you can also download see here.

http://www.vmware.com/products/free_virtualization.html

Actually I've just noticed that VMware server is now free as well.

There is a huge list of appliances that you can load into VMWare player:

http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/

The forums on the vmware site are pretty good too
sush
If you want open-source applications in particular, Xen is probably a good choice. You should keep in mind though that Xen does not work exactly as other Virtual Machines like VMWare or Parallels, so you might want to read the FAQ and all at www.xensource.com/products/xen/. As of version 3.0 Xen now supports proprietary OSs like Windows.
infobankr
Definitely check out QEMU. It is a really sweet emulator. If you are running linux (which it sounds like you are) you can use the kqemu virtualization kernel module, which will allow your emulated machines to be more like virtual machines in speed. Even without kqemu, qemu is usable (like on the Mac since kqemu hasn't been ported to darwin yet).
vln004
thanks guys, do you know if any of these are capable of installing OSX as a guest machine? My roommate has a macbook and i could borrow his install disc. I will probably stay away from vmware for now, since there are many open source ones to try still.

Xen seems like a very good program, however, i've been reading that you need a modefied kernal in order to run it in all it's glory. Can anyone confirm this? and if so, how much of a performance boost will there be?
YellowShadow
The best one for OS X would be VMware. You can get the server version for free.
mehulved
I'd suggest giving virtualbox a try. Admittedly, I have only used vmware and virtualbox, I find the latter much better. And it's easy to operate too.
vln004
i just tried virtual box this weekend. It was the easiest thing i've ever used for linux. however, i found my mouse lagging on more then one occasion. Could it be my dated machine? i have a 3.0 ghz pentium 4 with a gig of ram.

also, do you know if i can install osx with virtualbox?
mehulved
Try compiling virtualbox from source, there are some modules which can't be given in a pre-compiled binaries. Those modules tend to give improved performance, or atleast that's what I got.
Here's the list of supported guest OS's http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Guest_OSes
teko
wow virtualbox seems quite impressive. Anyone have any links of comaparisons done on the different virtual machine software regarding peformance, guest os´s etc??
teko
vln004 wrote:
also, do you know if i can install osx with virtualbox?

Well OS X is legally only meant to be installed on Apple hardware so I dont think you will find it running on a virtual machine. Of course thats not to say it cant be done either, I haven´t seen any virtualisation software that offers OS X as a guest os though
JayBee
infobankr wrote:
Definitely check out QEMU. It is a really sweet emulator. If you are running linux (which it sounds like you are) you can use the kqemu virtualization kernel module, which will allow your emulated machines to be more like virtual machines in speed. Even without kqemu, qemu is usable (like on the Mac since kqemu hasn't been ported to darwin yet).

Agree. QEMU is very good.
vln004
according to their wiki, QEMU is what virtualbox is based on. good to know
Studio Madcrow
Xen is WAY limited as it needs kernel-level support in its host operating systems. Personally I like VMware the best of anything available. VMware Player is great if you want to use pre-existing VMs, while VMware Server kicks ass in lots of ways: you can even connect to VMs running on another computer! I use my VMware stuff to run OPENSTEP, the direct ancestor of OS X and (in my opinion) the coolest "desktop" Unix ever made.
shawkat
xen shouldn't be compared wih virtualbox/vmware/qemu

actually i use vmware server for such evaluations because
1) virtualbox fails alot, i didn't even succeded installing debian/etch in debian/etch (though it is supported!).
2) qemu is very slow. even with kqemu accelerator module.
3) vmware-server is free. has a lot of nice features.
4) vmware-player is also free
sprnews4u
Microsoft have brought out a new virutal pc programs that might help!
[FuN]goku
MS Virtual PC - Slow
VMware - Installs too many services
Virtual Box- The one i currently use, and i love it - EDIT: Also , this is probly the best on linux. Runs smoothly with xp.
Xen - Havent tried it.

EDIT:
Did a little googling on Xen....
Uhm... I only see one free version of it.. which is the express... But meh. I like virtual box just fine.
attila123
I use Vmware server, it's free
welshsteve
I would go with VirtualBox. I have been using this software for a while and it's really simple to configure.

I have it installed on an XP Pro machine, and I've run the following on it comfortably (obviously not all at the same time LOL).

Ubuntu
Kubuntu
Mandriva
DSL
Windows 98
Windows 2000
lastelement0
i have tried both vmware and virtualbox and i currently have chosen to use virtualbox as my virtualization software. i had used vmware in one of my computer classes and it was alright, rather laggy in my opinion.

when i got my laptop setup with ubuntu i knew i wanted to have xp on a virtualization software to run some of the software i needed for some of my classes which used windows only software. thats when i came across virtualbox in the repos.

setup was quick and painless. i quickly had a working guest OS of XP running. the only thing that is an issue is the lack of USB support from the beginning. i'm currently working on getting it enabled but running into some troubles. but i have set up a virtual network drive between my host and guest OS so i can easily share files between the two.
ocalhoun
I would very much suggest vmware server edition, which is free now (though it used to be paid). It is a little slow, but any virtualization will be slow. It runs great on mac, linux, and windows, and the virtual machines you run in it work great in any OS too. It can do anything you need, and the 'vmware tools' that you install in virtual machines greatly helps the graphics and convenience of those machines. I particularly like the way that it makes no attempt to integrate virtual machines into the host machine, except by drive usage and network. Having the virtual machine be self-contained lets you run anything you want on it, exactly like it was a (somewhat slow) physical computer.

You should at least try it.
csoftdev
depending on what you use, i am using fedora core 9, so i have xen instaled with it, and I find that xen is quite powerful virtualisation tool available. I have tried vmware which I think is quite handy too, but it cost quite a bit for a license.
ocalhoun
csoftdev wrote:
I have tried vmware which I think is quite handy too, but it cost quite a bit for a license.

Not any more; it is free now. (For the server edition, which has everything you really need.)
csoftdev
really? that's kind of a good news. I'll check it out, when did it become a free software? Oh my, i am really outdated now :p
xbcd
as mentioned earlier. use vmware server, its free, full featured, and vmware has been in the virtualization game for EVER
cvkien
i use vmware a lot. i do a lot of research on my own with software and virus. i test software, test my own script, virus reverse engineering, and all that i do it in vmware. safe and easy to use. lot of function, easy to configure.